* Week

Woodsylou

Silver Member
So, i guess a lot of us have weight fluctuations over * week, last month i put on 5lbs (the week before) and this month (now) I'm expecting a similar gain.

last month i lost 8lbs the next week, so i'm not worried, but it's still not nice to get a gain.

does everyone else suffer? anyone know the science behind why we gain/hold more weight at this time of the month? surely it's not just water?

Well I've only been on plan for just over 4 weeks, but I lost a pound on * week, followed by 5.5lbs the following week. Almost fell off the scales in shock!! :eek:

It shows me how much fluid I retain though :) Don't worry about gaining on * week though hun, we females are unlucky to be blighted with the monthlies, but at least you lost the weight and more the following week. Sometimes you just need to do what your body is telling you to do! :)

Sian xx

Woodsyloo, I know exactly how you feel! Im always affected majorly by * week, I was told that it was just water retention, but im with you, surely theres got to be more to it than that!!!
This is the advice that I could find that may help though:

Eat complex carbohydrates (such as whole grain breads, pasta and cereals), fibre and protein. Cut back on sugar and fat.
Avoid salt for the last few days before your period to reduce bloating and fluid retention.

I do find that if i do mostly green days around * week that it seems to help a bit!

but yeah - its very annoying! but at least it all comes off again after! xxx

yeah, it's just so hard to stay motivated when you know you're in for a BIG gain. it makes me fed up. but the pmt doesn't help either!

thanks for those tips! x

Copied from BBC-Health. Some advice at the bottom for sufferers. Hope you don't have a huge gain.:)

What causes it? No one knows the exact cause of PMS, although it's thought to be linked to the fluctuations in hormone levels that occur throughout the menstrual cycle.
Women with low levels of the chemical serotonin have been found to be particularly sensitive to levels of the hormone progesterone, which is thought may lead to symptoms of PMS.
Who's affected?

Women of all ages suffer from PMS, but it can be more of a problem at these times:

• After childbirth
  • During your 30s and 40s
  • During times of stress
PMS is often worse at either end of a woman's reproductive life, around puberty and before the menopause.
What's the treatment?

If you think you're suffering from PMS, it may be helpful to keep a diary of symptoms so you can identify patterns and possible triggers.
Keeping to a diet that's low in salt, fat and caffeine but high in fibre, and eating small, regular meals, can be beneficial. Make sure you put aside time for regular exercise and relaxation.
Vitamins B6 and E, gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), calcium and magnesium have all been recommended for PMS. Many women find them helpful, but studies have mixed results. Flower oils such as evening primrose and starflower (which contain GLA) have also been advocated by some sufferers.
Your GP can give advice if these simple measures don't work. They may recommend hormone treatments - either the contraceptive pill or progestogen may be helpful.
Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), a type of antidepressant drug often used to treat depression and anxiety, may also be prescribed.
The National Association for Premenstrual Syndrome can provide further information on possible treatments.

awww thanks for that! x

Back