Weekly targets

This is the first time I've started a thread so I hope I have done it right...

Anyway I was wondering about how people felt about setting weekly targets at image therapy. I really don't like it as I whatever I say if I don't lose that amount next week then I feel I have failed.

I'm sure it motivates some people but it doesn't work for me. Worse than that it makes me dread image therapy because if I haven't made my target I feel I need to come up with an excuse. Some weeks I go off plan just because I'm having a bad week but it just makes me feel I have failed having to discuss what went wrong.

I like hearing peoples tips and success stories but I am thinking of stopping image therapy just because of these weekly targets.

If you don't want to set a mini target, don't. It's as easy as that. Just tell your consultant you don't want to set one. We have lots of people who don't set them as they feel it adds extra pressure, it's not a necessity.
Not worth stopping staying to group because of that :)

Targets don't work for me either so I absolutely refuse to set one and I can tell it really annoys my consultant. Why not set a non weight-related target instead like eating so many superspeed foods a day, trying x number of new recipes or doing a bit of exercise?

There are one or two people in group who refuse to set targets and I think it does annoy the consultant. But I think you are right I should just be assertive and say that it doesn't help me.

In my own head I tend to set myself a goal of 2lbs a week, but if I don't achieve it then it's no biggie - I never say this target out loud to the group though. As far as I'm concerned my targets are personal and don't need to be broadcast to everyone - all they need to know is that I'm getting there however slowly or fast that may be. During IT when they ask how much I would like to lose next week I just tend to say "anything as long as it's a loss I'm happy". C does tend to try to get more info out of me but i just reassert my original statement, "any loss is a loss" lol

I have to agree, 0.5lb is still a loss :) not what people have in mind i'm sure but ant loss isn't a gain after all. I last week set my tarter at 2.5lb because i wanted to get into the next stone range and worked really hard to get it. i lost 6lb that week. :) my consultant doesnt ask us to set targets often shell just say " anything you need help with"

I don't like the setting weekly target thing for me personally though can see why it does work for lots of people. My old C made a big deal about me setting a target for pre xmas once saying "Everyone else has its not fair if you don't" It made me feel guilty and I set one which I exceeded and then when it came to the date set she never said anything about the targets anyway!
I wonder why the c's like them set?

My C only occasionally asks about a weekly target, fr'instance if you are really close to a stone/1/2st shiny, but otherwise not really. Like others I do set myself targets and then get really annoyed with myself if I dont achieve them, silly really. I think 0.5st targets are far more productive, hoever long that may take.

Hey, there's no way you can be a failure - you've lost 16lbs, that's a great achievement. SW groups are there to help you, not to make you feel uncomfortable, so I fully agree that you don't need to set a target if you don't want to. Maybe you could have a quiet word with the consultant, or by email or text and tell her how you feel and ask her not to ask you again.
Good luck with your goals and remember "you can't fail unless you give up trying"
Tina x

My only target each week is to end up with a loss, no matter how big or small. I know there will be times when that is difficult but that's the plan, could be 0.5lbs or 5.5lbs, its all a step in the right direction.

Back