Weighing yourself

Beckyftwx

Silver Member
Once a week, do you feel this is too much, just right, not enough?

I personally think it would be better at the classes if they did inch measurements aswell as weighing.
Cos from experience I have gained on weeks I have been the gym 5 times compared to when I dont go at all..so its obviously due to muscle but the gain still upsets me even though I know the cause.

I agree that taking measurements is a good incentive to use - I do! But can you imagine how long each class would take if we had to have our measurements taken as well!!!!

Im naughty and check my scales at home on a regular basis. And, with not being able to get to class i have been weighing daily :sigh: Really need to get out of this habit :(

I do agree that inch loss should be recorded as well, maybe more on a monthly basis as opposed to weekly so the class would be prepared for the longer time it would take to get the measurements.

I'm not sure many people would take kindly to being measured in group although we are encouraged to take measurements and always tell new members to do so.

I think a weekly WI is just fine. Also, you must be doing some serious training to be gaining muscle, I'd say it's more likely water retention from the muscles you do have.

last week we made a pact not to weigh anywhere but at class. i did it, but i really didn't like it! i felt really out of control.

i am back to weighing myself every morning again and feel better for it! sad but true!

i measure myself every month.

I'm not sure many people would take kindly to being measured in group although we are encouraged to take measurements and always tell new members to do so.

I think a weekly WI is just fine. Also, you must be doing some serious training to be gaining muscle, I'd say it's more likely water retention from the muscles you do have.
Can you explain that please about the water retention?
Rather than gaining muscle, i meant fat turning to muscle?

There's a whole load of detail around it which I don't fully understand. However, fat doesn't turn to muscle. Fat is burnt off and muscle replaces it. It takes a lot of work to make muscle though.
When you exercise, especially when you start, the muscle you have retains water (not sure why) and this is why you could show a gain or sts. This is why it's not recommended to weigh straight after exercise.

There's a whole load of detail around it which I don't fully understand. However, fat doesn't turn to muscle. Fat is burnt off and muscle replaces it. It takes a lot of work to make muscle though.
When you exercise, especially when you start, the muscle you have retains water (not sure why) and this is why you could show a gain or sts. This is why it's not recommended to weigh straight after exercise.

Yep its a total myth that fat turns to muscle. By reducing calorie intake we burn fat. And by excercising we make our muscles bigger. These are totally seperate processes.

But realistically building muscle doesn't impact on the scales because altho muscle DOES weigh more than fat, the difference is marginal (I am doing a fitness instrucotrs course and this is what we were taught.)

To build muscle, you must 'damage it' with excercise, then let it rest for a day to repair. It then strengthens a little more each time you do this. The body can initially hold water around that muscle as a protective mechanism, until it gets used to you regularly 'damaging' that muscle and accepts that you aren't actually trying to hurt your body. Then it will stop holding water.

i think things like that are so interesting.

purple star as you're doing that course, what is the best exercises for fat burning?

I weigh all the time!! I know I shouldn't I don't even know why I do it....

Yep its a total myth that fat turns to muscle. By reducing calorie intake we burn fat. And by excercising we make our muscles bigger. These are totally seperate processes.

But realistically building muscle doesn't impact on the scales because altho muscle DOES weigh more than fat, the difference is marginal (I am doing a fitness instrucotrs course and this is what we were taught.)

To build muscle, you must 'damage it' with excercise, then let it rest for a day to repair. It then strengthens a little more each time you do this. The body can initially hold water around that muscle as a protective mechanism, until it gets used to you regularly 'damaging' that muscle and accepts that you aren't actually trying to hurt your body. Then it will stop holding water.

What Purplestar said! Lol, i was just about to chip in with something similar :p

Its true though, you need to be doing much more than just a gym workout here and there to be building serious muscle.

If you want to get rid of the water retention in the muscle - drink more!

Besides flushing out your kidneys and entire digestive system, hydrating your body, and brain its allowing your metabolism to function more effectively, and just making for a nicer skin tone and appearance, drinking more water causes you to release more water through excretion, thereby dropping "water retention" :cool:

i think things like that are so interesting.

purple star as you're doing that course, what is the best exercises for fat burning?

Hey - im doing my Diploma in PT at the moment and i can advise the best fat burning excercises are a mixture of cardio, conditioning and resistance training.

Try mixing interval training like run/jog/walk drills or going to a circuits class to really get your heart rate up to burn calories. Body Attack is a fab class for this as it mixes all of these elements.

Also - you should focus on conditioning and resistance such as mixing squats witch bicep curls or lunges with a shoulder press, dont worry, you are not going to build a serious amount of muscle unless you are using some serious weightage and eating a LOT of protein on a daily basis.

Focus on your biggest muscle groups if you want to burn!!! Bum, legs and back!! Also, high repetition is the best way and most importantly - strengthen your core - its fundamental to your training, fitness and body shape :cool:

Hope this helps x

Hey - im doing my Diploma in PT at the moment and i can advise the best fat burning excercises are a mixture of cardio, conditioning and resistance training.

Try mixing interval training like run/jog/walk drills or going to a circuits class to really get your heart rate up to burn calories. Body Attack is a fab class for this as it mixes all of these elements.

Also - you should focus on conditioning and resistance such as mixing squats witch bicep curls or lunges with a shoulder press, dont worry, you are not going to build a serious amount of muscle unless you are using some serious weightage and eating a LOT of protein on a daily basis.

Focus on your biggest muscle groups if you want to burn!!! Bum, legs and back!! Also, high repetition is the best way and most importantly - strengthen your core - its fundamental to your training, fitness and body shape :cool:

Hope this helps x

that does help and what i thought! We do circuits outselves twice a week so thats good! thank you!

Its a shame I don't lose harldy anything and thought it was muscle but must just be me!!

I stick to healthy eating 100% and exercise 4/5 times a week and no good loss really. Urgh.

Becky, looking at your height and weight it might be because you're at a good weight anyway? i have LOTS to lose so i lose it quite quickly, but you're tall and slim so it's probably a lot harder to lose anything. maybe?!

I'm in the normal bmi. i have been 12 pound smaller than I am before though and its all piled on this month so I'd be glad just to get that off and maybe a couple of pound more. I have been counting calories abit aswell.
I originally was 14 stone like 2 years ago and the weight fell off quicker then and it kept be motivated. Now I tend to diet for month then think whats the point I am not losing and stop. Trying to keep on track this time!

yeah that makes sense, it must be hard to lose when you don't have much to go. i bet you look fab though, it must be hard to be motivated when you know you're healthy etc! good luck!

Back