Weighing

bunny_hops

Violet is shrinking
How often do you weigh? For those that weigh daily, what do you feel are the benefits?

I weigh once a week (I sometimes have a sneaky peak) when I'm asked about weighing I always say 'only weigh once a week blah blah blah'

Now, I'm thinking about weighing daily, just to see how I go, and to see if it helps?

I try to weigh just once a week. I think you get a more accurate picture of your weight loss that way because it's normal for your weight to fluctuate from day to day. I think daily weighing could make me feel disheartened if I saw a gain, even a small one. I say try though because it's so tempting to have a peek halfway through the week ;)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Last edited:
Yep, I agree with Zion. I did lipotrim for 2 weeks last year (as I needed to shift a few lbs fast for a wedding) and after 3 days weighed myself and was 5lbs down - was so delighted thinking I wasn't even half way through the week and was all ready for a massive loss but 4 days later, I had lost a total of 7lbs and I was so so disappointed and discouraged, it completely made me loose sight of what a great achievement 7lbs was, if that makes sense.

Going to TRY and just weigh weekly (although I agree it's easier said..)

I am a daily weigher , infact I weigh twice a day , but its not for everyone . I find that whatever the results are a positive for me , a good loss spurs me on , and a STS or even a gain makes me more determined to stick to it . I know some people feel disheartened if they dont see a loss every day , so if you are on of those people then you shouldnt weigh every day !!! I love watching the scales go down , but I have an offical weigh in on a wednesday and use this no matter what the scales say the day before or after :)

Daily weigher, because I'm a mathematically minded person and regard weight as being a variable rather than a static concept. So, by weighing daily I can get a picture of my average trend rather than focusing on what the number today is - even if it's up on yesterday, as an average I'm still losing weight.

The mathematics of how this works for me is a little complicated to explain, but fortunately there is a cheater's quick fix already available - I can't add links yet because I'm still new here, but if you were to google 'Hacker's Diet online' you'll find a very handy tool that does it all for you. Simply put in your daily weight and it'll do the math and plot you a graph - with points to show the weight you've input, and a line that shows your estimated actual weight loss. It really starts to kick in after you've used it for two weeks (it bases its calculations on your last two weeks of data) but even before it's got that much it's very encouraging. If my number today was bigger than yesterday's it wouldn't bother me because I can see from the line calculated that overall I'm lighter than I was at the beginning of the week.

This method may not work for everyone, for many different reasons, but for me it's a fantastic way of keeping my focus on the longterm goal rather than day to day fluctuations that occur because of water retention or similar.

I need to be a weekly weigher....but can't help jumping on more often and this week it is really depressing me.

Last Tuesday I was 14.10, over the week i have been up to 14.12 and down to 14.9, but this morning...the day before real weigh in I am 14.11 so looks like it's going to be a depressing day tomorrow....and all because I have weighed daily!

So for me, once tomorrows weigh in is logged, I will be back to weekly weighing cos I can't handle another depressing week!

im a daily weigher as it keeps me going... in the past when ive weekly weighed ive had a couple of cheats and thought ive got 5 days to get that off where as when i daily weigh im accountable for each day and keeps me on track. im nor disheartened if i see a gain or a sts as i know if im 100% i cant NOT lose weight..... im the type who thinks if i weigh this today and remain abstinant what could i be tomorrow? hope that makes sense. xx

I've tried to weigh weekly, but occasionally can't resist a wee peek in between...recently, though, daily weighing has proved annoying as the numbers are only changing ever so slowly :(

What's the saying?

A watched scale never decreases?

Something like that ;)

If I do start weighing daily, I will only use the Saturday weigh in as my actual recording weight. I like the idea of seeing the numbers go down on the scales, which is why I thought I'd give daily weighing a go and maybe it would help me keep a focus knowing I have to see the scales every day...which could also be a downfall hmmm we'll see.. thanks for the help guys :)

hi everyone this is week 4 for me on exante and i was a weekly weigher (fridays) but from monday morning i thought i would start to weigh daily just to see how it goes and tbh im really shocked how easy its coming off and tbh its giving me a big boost seeing the scales going down every morning, for those that weigh daily do you still log the weekly weight you have lost or carry on as you are (hope that makes sense..lol) in other words should i just forget fridays weigh in and carry on like this now? thanks in advance xxx

I'm monitoring both at the same time.

I log the daily weights on my 'Hacker's Diet Online' page - I find the graph with the line showing my weight going down day in, day out to be really motivating.

It also gives me an average numbers of:

1) weight that I have definitely lost (rather than, say, water.) It's not 100% accurate, for instance this week will be a big loss (around 10lbs) but the average is "only" showing 4lbs. However, if next week I had a STS on the scales as a weekly figure, the graph would be able show me that I've actually lost another 4lbs, it's just the the scales are being affected by water retention (or *ahem* constipation!) thus keeping me motivated.

2) Average calorie deficit for the week which isn't so important for the Exante diet, but it will come into its own when one day in the not too distant future I need to start adding carbs back in and learning to maintain

It'll be my weekly weight loss and measurements that I log on here and My Fitness Pal, because you know what, I also need the big losses (even if they are mostly water) as motivation too!

Last edited:
I've just realised that maybe my monitoring all sounds a little obsessive, but I'm doing this very deliberately.

I think part of the reason that I always end up putting weight on after every time I've lost it is because I'm not obsessive enough after the initial weight loss. You know, "I've lost two stone, so now I don't need to get on the scales all the time anymore." and so don't notice the weight creeping back on until it's too late ("my clothes aren't getting tight, it's the drying shrinking them" and other excuses.)

I need to learn to spot that I'm putting on a couple of pounds when it's still just a couple of pounds and easy to deal with rather than a whole stone or more at which point it's a bit too late!

I think you weigh daily, then you need to record the weight at the end of the week, that would be your most accurate weight loss.

I haven't started weighing daily as a rule but I have had a quick jump on the scales earlier and my weight hasn't changed in the last 2 days :( I always weigh more as the day goes on, so maybe that has something to do with it.. hmmmm think I won't weigh again til Saturday and then see how I feel about daily weighing after :)

Every morning I stand on the wii and that records my daily weight. I use this to keep track of how I am doing. If it has gone down then I get excited and think 'What can I get it down to by Friday' and if it's gone up then 'Must try harder, need to lose something'. I record Fridays weight at my weekly though.

Back