Weight and dress size musing

LincsBren

Silver Member
Isn't it funny (and for 'funny', read 'bloody annoying!) how dress sizes and weight can vary so much. For example, I am 5'6", weigh just under 12 stone now, and am a 12 in most shops. My mother, same height, is a size 16-18... and weighs 11st 7lbs. She cannot BELIEVE how heavy I am - when we were sharing the odd outfit, I was 3 stone heavier than her!

I have a friend who, when she was 12st, could JUST squeeze into a size 14. She is trying to lose weight again now but doesn't think she'll ever be a size 12 (her ideal size) - and she is tall, so 12st is a reasonable BMI for her.

Another friend who, at her heaviest was 22 stone, genuinely believe dress sizes were given originally based on stone as she found when she was 22 stone she was a size 22, 18 stone a size 18 etc - and now, at her goal of 10 stone, she is a size 10!

So, how do YOUR dress sizes correspond to weight?

I am just fat, wearing fat clothes!! lol.....

I am in the same size clothes as i was when i started.. I must admit they are a little looser, but not enough to notice/wear a belt/drop a size...So, at 16 stone 5 i was wearing a tightish size 18, now at 13 stone 13, i am wearing a slightly loose size 18... GUTTED!!!! pmsl x x

At my heaviest (a lb off 20st), I was wearing a 26. At 19st I was in a 24. Now at 17 and a bit stone (weighed dressed in jeans!), I'm in a very loose 22 and will soon be moving to a 20 (prob a few lb away). I am already in stretchy 20's, ie. my gym bottoms, t-shirts, etc. and they fit slightly snuggly, but not quite there with fitted work trousers, etc.

It does seem to really vary from person to person doesn't it. Probably has a lot to do with build as well as weight. Not to mention where you shop.

xx

When I started i was wearing size 16 and it was tight tight!! but i realise now 18lbs lighter that I must have looked so silly in those trousers and must have been def the rong size. I tried on a pair of size 14 pair of jeans and well they buttoned but i looked like i was carrying around a spare tyre as everything was pushed up..not a good look. It can be disheartening but looking foward to christmas where i can wear something half decent.

Lydiaxx

Well I'm 5'4 and 12st7lbs and am I size 16, I have lost 3st and started as a size 22.

I am 12 stone 3 and 5ft 7 and i'd say i'm a size 15.. as in i haven't bought many size 14's but the things i have bought do fit me and a few things are tight and a few are baggy.. but my size 16's aren't huge enough to say.. they are to big for me. So i settle for size 15

im 5 ft 7, 11st 6, a small frame and wear a 10/12..when i was 10 st 2 i was wearing an 8 :) everyone is different though..i do go out running a lot though so think that probably helps a bit :)

h xx

ragin lol wish i was a small frame! i wanna be a size 10 in 11lbs!

I'm exactly the same as you Bren, weight and size wise. It's weird cos only a couple of weeks ago I was happy to be back in a size 14 but then, seemingly overnight, I've become a size 12! I haven't bought anything new, apart from a jacket, but loads of my old clothes suddenly fit. Took some photos in the mirror before I went out for lunch and will try to upload them tomorrow to compare with the ones that I took at the beginning.

At the start, at 13st 12lbs I was struggling to get into a 16.......if I do get down to my target of 10 stone I guess that I will a 10?

Su, there's something wrong honey! You have got to be thinner! X

I'm 5'7", I was size 8 at 8 1/2 stone (a long time ago) a 12-14 at 11 stone and was a 20 at 18 stone...these are only my bottom half sizes as I have generous chest and was a 14 on top when my bottoms were an 8 and a size 24 on top when I was 18 stone. My trousers are too loose now, (dont need to undo them to get them on and off and will fall down occasionally) and i'm getting in my size 22 tops

Sizes have changed. I have a size 12 skirt from 23 years ago which fits my size 8 daughter like it fit me all those years ago so I guess at 8 1/2 stone i would be a size 4-6 in todays sizes.

I agree with you there Cat.....I was about 7 1/2 stone in my teens, in the 70's, and a size 10, I don't recall there being anything smaller, I used to have stuff taken in, especially the waists as I had a 22 inch waist! Sizes are def a lot bigger these days......

Lol, funny what we had to do pre lycra days to get clothes to fit. I was a teen in the 80s I used to take the waistbands off brand new jeans, put darts in and reattach the waistband.

I'm 5ft 7" and started at 11st 6lb- I was still wearing a size 10 but they were tight and just not comfy!!! Now I'm 10st 2lb and my size 10's fit perfect now although some are a little big. I just bought a size 8 dress yesterday madness!!

At 17 st 9lbs stones at my start i was a 22 - Im now down to 16st exactly and still wearing the bloody same clothes grrrrrrrr
Im 5ft 6in by the way

At 17 st 9lbs stones at my start i was a 22 - Im now down to 16st exactly and still wearing the bloody same clothes grrrrrrrr
Im 5ft 6in by the way

Please don't take this the wrong way Jen, but i am really pleased i am not the only one who has lost quite a lot of weight, but still in the same size clothes!!

I was beginning to think i was abnormal!! lol

I hope Sandra reads this because i think she thinks i am telling fibs!!! lol x x x

PS.. I am 5' 8"

Please don't take this the wrong way Jen, but i am really pleased i am not the only one who has lost quite a lot of weight, but still in the same size clothes!!

I was beginning to think i was abnormal!! lol

I hope Sandra reads this because i think she thinks i am telling fibs!!! lol x x x

PS.. I am 5' 8"

Course I don't! I just think how pissed off I'd be if it was me and I'd lost that much weight but was still the same size....cos I've lost less than you but gone down two whole dress sizes.....

I'm 6' tall and started at 18'4 in a size 20 (I was wearing 18 jeans but they were tight), I'm now 14'5 and just back in in a size 16 and I know when I was 13 stone for years I was a comfortable size 16 from most shops. I want to be 11'7 target weight but don't know if I will be size 12 or 14, hopefully 12 lol

Im 5ft2, 12stone and a size 18!!!!!!!!! Whats up with that!!!!!!?!?!?!?!? I do have large breasts but still after loosing 3 stone and getting to 12 stone its disapointing to be an 18! I thought id b shopping in trendy shops by now. :(

I do not know about my dress size, but I have to tighten my belt by 4 notches to keep my trousers up:):)

Back