Weight loss biology?

-Tally-

Silver Member
A fortnight a go I lost 6lbs...last week I lost 2lbs but nothing changed too drastically, if anything I ate less last week.

I've heard people say that the more you eat, the more you lose on SW, but how can people lose weight on low calorie diets for instance...

Am happy enough with my losses, just a bit confused about the biology of it all and why my losses seem up and down so much.

It is baffling isn't it, on the weeks when i have eaten lots of food within plan, i too have lost more. Heres to trying to eats lots this week lol.

If you eat many super free(especially veg) you will seem like your eating a lot but there is a very low calorie density in these foods. A lb equals to about 3500 calories so if you eat in excess or dont move you will gain or if you reduce and exercise you will loose. Also remember the human body is quite a complex thing and small things will effect weight looses. Keep on as your going and if you dont already perhaps add some planned exercise into the plan and go for the body magic :D.

Also those are epic looses. Well done :D

I think with sw its more about the type of food you eat rather than the amount. As said above all the superfree is naturally low calorie so while you feel full and like you've eaten a lot you've probably not had too many calories. You're also giving the body all the nutrients it needs so its running more efficiently and more willing to let go of excess fat. If that makes any sense!!!

I calculated my BMR and it's currently just under 3000 kcals to maintain. I read if you drop below 50% of your BMR then the body can go into starvation mode and you lose less or none. What I don't understand, if that is the case, is how people on low calorie diets or food replacement diets lose weight.

TheMissus said:
I calculated my BMR and it's currently just under 3000 kcals to maintain. I read if you drop below 50% of your BMR then the body can go into starvation mode and you lose less or none. What I don't understand, if that is the case, is how people on low calorie diets or food replacement diets lose weight.

How do you calculate your BMR?

If you look on the sticky's of calorie counting section there is a thread that explains how to calculate BMR.

Hey Missus - I'll tell you what I don't understand...

When I went to Rosemary Conley's class (calorie counting, low fat and exercise) we were given a daily calorie allowance based on our current BMR. As we lost weight, this changed our BMR so our daily allowance was re-assessed.

On SW, it seems to be one-size-fits-all. I am not complaining, but this puzzles me. Someone who is 150 lb has the same daily allowance as someone who is 450 lb. They say you can drop some syns as you shrink, but that is a tiny amount of calories.

As long as it works, I am not bothered. Just pondering. Keep up the good work, Missus.

Have just calculated my BMR, and depending on my exercise level i should be eating somewhere between 2400 and 2700 cals a day to maintain. This begs the question - exactly how many cals was i eating to get this overweight in the first place!? I shudder to think how much i used to eat!

Hey Missus - I'll tell you what I don't understand...

When I went to Rosemary Conley's class (calorie counting, low fat and exercise) we were given a daily calorie allowance based on our current BMR. As we lost weight, this changed our BMR so our daily allowance was re-assessed.

On SW, it seems to be one-size-fits-all. I am not complaining, but this puzzles me. Someone who is 150 lb has the same daily allowance as someone who is 450 lb. They say you can drop some syns as you shrink, but that is a tiny amount of calories.

As long as it works, I am not bothered. Just pondering. Keep up the good work, Missus.

Thanks SS. Yeah, there is quite a lot of ponder over eh. I've always had it in my head...the less calories you consume, the more weight you lose.

Now, I was as good as gold last week and lost 2lbs which is good but I did expect more as I lost 6lbs the week before and ate a bit more than I normally would.
Now again, this week I've been busy and not eaten much but am not yet showing a loss although weigh in day isn't until tomorrow.

So going on my track record and looking back through my food diary, I seem to have my bigger losses when I eat more food and therefore take in more calories.

So that got me wondering how people doing low calories diets or food replacement diets actually lose weight.

If the body starts storing energy when you eat too little then how do diets that are low/VLCD work?

Have just calculated my BMR, and depending on my exercise level i should be eating somewhere between 2400 and 2700 cals a day to maintain. This begs the question - exactly how many cals was i eating to get this overweight in the first place!? I shudder to think how much i used to eat!

Tell me about it! I need just under 3000 per day to maintain...obviously that number goes down as you lose weight, I was 3400 when I started, now 2900+.

Back