Weight loss/control by hypnotherapy.

dacuckoo

Anyone doing any type of subliminal hypnotherapy for weight loss?.

I'm nearing the end of day 3 of Paul McKenna's I can make you thin hypnotherapy and finding it absolutely fantastic and Im feeling great!.

Although there does seem to be many threads about PM's hypnotherapy - none of them are on-going or recent. I've recently lost 5lbs after 2 weeks on the slimming world diet and have decided to change direction completely to hypnotherapy. Check out my 'Diary of a cuckoo' it's got the SW days and now the PM days. Hope there's people out there who are following hypnotherapy and would benefit from some support on here....I know I would!!
Lisa xx

Last edited:
Well done! I've an appointment with a hypnotist in a couple of weeks to help with my eating habits. Nervous, but excited too!

Hiya Jen :wavey:

would love to be part of your journey!. Be excited because you're going to gain back control and food for once is no longer going to be your enemy and it will be eat to live instead of live to eat. I'm going to share my journey in here as well as in my diary...good times and the not so good (if there is any)...even if it means typing to myself :D xx

Here's my days so far on the Paul McKenna's I can make you thin hypnotherapy..

DAY 1

Breakfast - Nothing

Lunch - half a chicken wrap and 10 chips

Dinner - (eventually at 9pm) Ham sandwich

DAY 2

Breakfast - Nothing

Lunch - half a ham sandwich and 6 twiglets (and half a orange for a snack 2 hours later).

Dinner - 1 pork chop and half a green salad (did have 2 pork chops on my plate and a huge salad).p

DAY 3

Breakfast - nothing

Lunch - half a chicken burger (and a packet of cheese and onion crisps 3 hours later).

Dinner - half of a small portion of boiled rice, curry sauce and chips (the portion was a full adult one shared with my daughter and I ate half of a half portion).

Youre going to be ill if you keep on like that thats hardly anything, your calorie intake must be tiny. PMK plan isnt about starvation its about sensible choices. You need to eat more than you are

Gosh that seems like such a small amount, I don't think I would function on that ...! What kinda stuff were you eating before you started with Paul McKenna?

My hypnotist, I'm hoping to get better at dealing with emotional eating. At the moment, I react by stuffing my face with several bars of chocolate, or bacon sarnies and I want to gain control of that. :)

Whoa!...both Auburn and starlight!!!!!

I am eating regularly and healthy!!!...

starlight why do you assume Im going to make myself ill?!.... I am eating when I am hungry! And stopping when I feel full! ....what makes you assume I have not made sensible choices following the Paul McKenna hypnotherapy!....I AM NOT STARVING I AM VERY MUCH SATISFIED!!!!....you need to be more informed!... Before you make the stark judgements you have!....it actually equates to just under (by about 78) 2000 calories actually in consumption....you may be a moderator in here but you are no dietician!

Auburn I was following SW for 2 weeks before - got bloated every night and sluggish!....members of my family/friends have succeeded with PM losing in excess 5 stones (my friend) cholesterol and blood pressure back to normal...and they look fantastic thank you very muchly!!!.....

Gee calm down :( No need to get sarky! I wasn't having a pop, just curious to see how much Paul Mckenna had affected your actual dietary habits, if he'd stopped, say, urges to eat 3 takeaways and a box of chocs everynighy, or of your diet previously was relatively healthy, that's all.

If you are satisfied enough with what you're eating, that's good. But I doubt any of those 3 days above come in to anywhere near 2000 cals! (And before you get all defensive about me not knowing facts etc, I do have a dietician qualification...)

Glad to hear your friends and family have benefited from listening to him. The health benefits of their weightloss are great, well done to them!

Hmmmm...there seems a lot negativity and doubters around :sigh:... I started this thread for support and to offer support in return...

Let's dispel a few rumour mill myths here shall we..

Hypnotherapy is hypnotherapy whether that is through a self-help system or through weekly/monthly sessions visiting a clinical setting. Neither is deemed 'safer' than the other and with regards to one being classed as 'proper hypno' over the other the only difference between self help and receiving subliminal counselling is the person who is receiving the therapy because each person reacts differently to this alternative treatment.

Paul McKenna is a registered clinical hypnotherapist his self help series of books have so far helped me to quit smoking and also cured me of my insomnia, not too mention hundreds and thousands of others who had disabling phobias or habits.....yep he is a 'proper hypno'! ;D

My next door neighbour back in the place I used to live has lost 5 stones following this therapy listening to a CD everyday and reading chapters of a book everyday at home - but went to a clinical setting to receive hypnotherapy to help her quit smoking...I saw her last week and she's still smoking but no longer over weight.....so receiving hypnotherapy within a clinical setting directly from a licensed practitioner doesn't help it to work any better than listening to a voice on a CD through headphones laying on your bed in the peace and quiet....the aftercare is also the same, you either listen to the principles with an open mind or you stop listening.

I eat when I am hungry and stop as soon as I feel the slightest bit full. I eat what I like and enjoy it. If I feel hungry within the hour then I will eat!!!....some days I will probably eat more than others...the body is good at balancing itself out that way. So for the people thundering in here saying I'm making myself ill and questioning my calorific intake...there you go. :)

For the record I would never dictate to anyone else about their eating plan choices on here and I would neither be so negative in comparison or challenging. I am taking a positive step to change direction and take control of my eating habits. I am neither aiming to be a size 10 or expecting all my life issues to be answered once I drop a few dress sizes...if I can change my eating habits and have some portion control but only lose a stone then that to me is a success because I would of undone derogatory eating habits developed over 43 years that neither diets or pills couldn't :)

Im listening to my body with a little help from subliminal therapy...what works for me, might not necessarily work for you, some people are not very perceptive to subliminal subconscious therapy, others very much are, and I happen to be one of these people. So I am assuming what worked to help me quit smoking and cure my insomnia will also help me to start listening to my body, stop the downward spiral of following and failing on diets and lose weight safely and naturally at my body's own pace and not being dictated to by the dial on a weigh scale or daily points/syns/calories.

Anyway Im into my 4th day feeling very positive and happy with what I'm doing. I started this thread for people considering or doing hypnotherapy or subliminal counselling for weight control. I don't understand why anyone who is following other methods of weight control would want to come in here to discourage and be negative.

Food doesn't make you fat...diets do! :)

Totally agree with you Starlight.:)We had this conversation with someone else on here beginning of year and after she disappeared from here she came back.Done exante or one of those lasted a week,started calorie counting then disappeared again.Now she is a few stone heavier then when we tried helping her.

dacuckoo that is not how listening to Paul McKenna works.And don't tell me I don't know as I have been there, done that.

You are eating at most 600 calories a day.

If you want your body to shut down then carry on but without your body getting the essential vitamins and calcium etc(and I don't mean pills)you won't be able to keep it up.
I've just seen a friend go through eating as little as you and she is no longer with us.Didn't matter what we told her she wouldn't listen and I don't think you will.

So good luck and I hope one day you will see there are healthier ways of losing weight and will do it properly.

I always thought to lose weight healthy, productively, properly and successfully you had to take in less calories and do more exercise....is that not what I am doing?!.
The body requires a certain amount of calories for it to work effectively and the metabolism to keep at its optimum level. For weight maintenance it's usually around 2000 calories for an average adult woman...but one day you could have just 500 calories but then the next day have 3,500 calories. The body balances itself out....but you know that right?.

...with regards to this hypnotherapy from what you have commented you obviously don't really get how the principles of this therapy works. So with all due respect GettingFit maybe you are just not perceptive to subliminal therapy, that's why it didn't work for you!...consider that first instead of damning it. Hundreds and thousands of people can't be all wrong and have eating disorders or be verging on death because they follow subliminal therapy!...your comment was very generalising.

Considering some of the diet plans I have read about on this forum where certain food groups are omitted on certain days or food is given points or people drink shakes and soups for months or follow very low calorie diets I feel you are very misinformed and are assuming I myself am also, when dictating about losing weight healthily and properly.

I would also appreciate it if you didn't judge me in comparison to your friend and her unfortunate eating disorder. You are extremely presumptuous, judgmental and patronising and you are very much assuming an awful lot about me from a few posts on a thread!. :mad:

Totally agree with you Starlight.:)We had this conversation with someone else on here beginning of year and after she disappeared from here she came back.Done exante or one of those lasted a week,started calorie counting then disappeared again.Now she is a few stone heavier then when we tried helping her.

dacuckoo that is not how listening to Paul McKenna works.And don't tell me I don't know as I have been there, done that.

You are eating at most 600 calories a day.

If you want your body to shut down then carry on but without your body getting the essential vitamins and calcium etc(and I don't mean pills)you won't be able to keep it up.
I've just seen a friend go through eating as little as you and she is no longer with us.Didn't matter what we told her she wouldn't listen and I don't think you will.

So good luck and I hope one day you will see there are healthier ways of losing weight and will do it properly.

I always thought to lose weight healthy, productively, properly and successfully you had to take in less calories and do more exercise....is that not what I am doing?!.
The body requires a certain amount of calories for it to work effectively and the metabolism to keep at its optimum level. For weight maintenance it's usually around 2000 calories for an average adult woman...but one day you could have just 500 calories but then the next day have 3,500 calories. The body balances itself out....but you know that right?.

...with regards to this hypnotherapy from what you have commented you obviously don't really get how the principles of this therapy works. So with all due respect GettingFit maybe you are just not perceptive to subliminal therapy, that's why it didn't work for you!...consider that first instead of damning it. Hundreds and thousands of people can't be all wrong and have eating disorders or be verging on death because they follow subliminal therapy!...your comment was very generalising.

Considering some of the diet plans I have read about on this forum where certain food groups are omitted on certain days or food is given points or people drink shakes and soups for months or follow very low calorie diets I feel you are very misinformed and are assuming I myself am also, when dictating about losing weight healthily and properly.

I would also appreciate it if you didn't judge me in comparison to your friend and her unfortunate eating disorder. You are extremely presumptuous, judgmental and patronising and you are very much assuming an awful lot about me from a few posts on a thread!. :mad:

No need to jump down everyone's throats I've never claimed to be a dietician but there is no way on earth what you posted as your days menus are anywhere near 2000 calories unless you've missed a lot of things off it. FYI minimins doesn't allow diets which are deemed unhealthy and under 800 cals a day. Any posts on here have been concern at the amounts you say you're eating that's all. Pmk is a good system I've seen it work well on and proper Vlcds shakes soups etc 'for months' are perfectly safe and healthy

Last edited:
My isn't someone defensive. I've never claimed to be a dietician but there is no way on earth what you posted as your days menus are anywhere near 2000 calories unless you've missed a lot of things off it. FYI minimins doesn't allow diets which are deemed unhealthy and under 800 cals a day. Any posts on here have been concern at the amounts you say you're eating

The 3 days of eating I actually posted starlight DO NOT SPECIFY EXACT AMOUNTS for any of the food I consumed - so how you can equate what calories I am consuming is very bizarre indeed!.

What I may deem as a small portion may be a large portion from someone else's point of view. Things like butter on the bread, bread being from a freshly baked uncut loaf , sauces and gravies etc and the exact amount of sandwich fillings where NOT specified...but then again neither was the coffees and lattes that I consumed...but it DOES NOT need to be because it is NOT A DIET!...and actually it is not even necessary for me to record ANY of the food I consume while following this alternative therapy, it is my choice to do so. But here I am again justifying myself to someone who is clearly having trouble understanding the principles of hypnotherapy.

Let me put this to you another way.....when a member who for example is recovering from Gastric Sleeve surgery posts their food consumption for the day on minimins are they breaking the forum rules because the food they consume is of very low calorific value in total because they cannot physically consume any more due to the operation reducing their stomach size?....I presume not!. I assume you have heard of virtual gastric band hypnotherapy?...Please try and be a little more open-minded and less discouraging and judgemental of me because of my informed choices.

Starlight hypnotherapy weight management is neither a diet nor unhealthy so in the eyes of posting on this forum I am not crossing any boundaries of minimins posting rules. The calorific value of the food I have consumed cannot possibly be clarified or even estimated...so your point of concern is not valid.

I am defensive simply because this thread which was started in good faith has been particularly highjacked and quite frankly I have never experienced so much negativity and misjudgement in all the time that I have been a member of the site, which is sad and disillusioning really considering it is supposed be a friendly weight loss support forum. And with all due respect I have tried to explain the principles of hypnotherapy to those who have questioned my choices and made blinkered judgements. I have had to justify myself to complete strangers who have played judge and jury with no hint of encouragement or acceptance, and you comment arrogantly and sarcastically about me being defensive!!...I wonder why I am!!!

I am very self aware and informed with research in what I am doing and I can categorically confirm that neither am I consuming too few calories or promoting something that is unhealthy.

My diary is posted with all food than has been consumed but then again because it is NOT a diet I do not have to write every ingredient of every single morsel of food consumed.

Starlight, I suggest you read my posts again concerning the subliminal therapy that I am following and you might eventually let it drop about the calorific consumption and might actually get it that this is NOT a diet!.

This is not a diet, its not about calories, counting points, syns are whatever else other 'plans' are based upon. It is about relearning eating habits on the principle that every habit is learned and can be 'unlearned' so to speak.

I will not be justifying myself and my choices to you or anyone else anymore on this thread, nor posting. Which is sad really because there are people out there who may be considering trying hypnotherapy and my food diary post may of reassured them that subliminal therapy does work for those that are perceptive to it...but unfortunately I feel sad that they may just read the other comments and feel less encouraged to seek support or add to the thread.

For the record the very low calorie diet you are following is extremely unhealthy because it promotes ketosis and the over production of ketones which is extremely dangerous for normal kidney and liver function. Please don't preach Starlight!

Anyone else doing the new Gastric Band hypnotherapy by Paul McKenna? I am, and I'm loving it ! Lost 5 and 3/4 lb first week (a lot for me!) Weighin tomorrow morning to see what I've done this week. Can't believe how little food makes me happy and satisfied ! Strange thing is, I wasn't even sure the trance had worked. Have been following the four golden rules (mostly - a few minor hiccups LOL!) which are the same as his other book, and I really have eaten what I liked whenever I have felt hungry. That seems to be the key for me. I've been doing other plans (WW/SW) for years and struggled to maintain for any length of time, but this just feels easy, because I can have whatever I crave - just in little amounts that I let my own body decide on, not a points calculator. Hope everyone is having a good day and looking forward to some replies. Bye for now

Back