Weight training and VLCD's

laurenmay

Gold Member
I've always been interested in weight training, but never had the guts to go ahead and do it myself. But recently I've been researching a lot into getting lean, building muscle mass and lowering my body fat percentage to between 18-20%.

I don't want the female bodybuilder look, as much as its extremely impressive and I have a lot of respect for the women who lift that amount of weight and look how they do, it's just not the outcome I want myself.. But I do want to be as lean and toned as possible, but with a small amount of muscle so that I maintain my curves and feminine assets but look strong and fit the same time.

Anyway, I've been reading into weight training while on a VLCD, and everyone seems to be advising against it saying that consuming such low calories, 400-700 a day will cause muscle loss more so than fat loss, and although you'll be losing weight you won't be losing body fat but muscle instead... and I really don't want that!

I am classed as morbidly obese though, I carry weight well but I am 198lbs at only 5ft 3 so I do have a good 60lbs to lose. So that's why I chose slim and save to begin with.. But am I okay to follow slim and save whilst doing heavy weight training and occasional cardio?

I just don't wanna lose muscle mass, or become unwell. Opinions please?

I was obese when I started slim and save too

I weight train 5-6 days a week no problem. I dont seem to have lost muscle, my biceps have grown and the fat is stripping off to reveal muscle

I am doing a variety of techniques on s&s. Once I refeed I will be changing up my routine. I do a combination of low rep days and higher rep days

I lift fairly similar to off plan, I go a little lighter, maybe 10kg less on lifts but haven't found my strength any less bar legs - I leg press 120kg on plan which is still ok for me. Happy to stick there and increase when refeeding

Hope that helps some Xx

Seen as you seem to be into weight training like me, check out a site called cutandjacked.com and click on the 'for women' tab at the top :) its really informative & has some in depth interviews with female bodybuilders and fitness models, and motivational workout videos etc :) x

I'm no help on the weight training front I'm afraid. But I just wanted to say that when my body fat percentage was measured a few weeks ago (having reached my goal weight) it was 22.5% - which is in the fitness range for women. Given that I did very little exercise during the programme and have only just started doing some I think the result flies in the face of what people say. Of course I will have lost some muscle (I don't need as much just to walk around now) but I've lost far more fat than mucle - unless my 19 stone was all muscle of course...

Back