Weight very up and down :/

JodiJo

So I started following SW four weeks ago, and have lost 9lb so far. The thing is, I weigh myself daily as well as the weekly record, and my weight can go up or down by up to 5lb in 24 hours!!! It's so frustrating to think I've lost 5lb and then see 4 back on!

I wondered if I wasn't eating enough...? A typical day:

Breakfast- banana
Snack- apple
Lunch - ham salad, muller light, fruit selection
Dinner- quorn curry/ bolognaise with rice or brown pasta.

I usually eat a packet of crisp - French fries or Pom bear in the evening...

I really don't feel hungry after that, but today I have eaten laughing cow extra light (x2) on wholemeal toast in an effort to get in healthy extras... Even though I'm not hungry! Should I eat for the sake of it??

Xxx

Ii find that to if i weigh daily lock away the scales you haven't really put 4 lb on over night just as you wouldn't loose it over night . I love to weigh in but its to inconsistent stick to once a week same time etc!

Eating quorn curry/ bolognaise with rice or brown pasta in the evening is not a good idea. These foods are loaded with carbs. If you want to lose weight, eat carbs in the morning or in the afternoon before 2-4 pm. Choose high protein foods in the evening. Focus more on macronutrients and less on calories.

Yes think I know you're right about the daily weigh ins. When it's weekly it's not so bad. I'll also try to lessen the evening carb intake to see if it helps :)

I personally think you are not eating enough, especially for breakfast, hun. I'm also in the awful habit of weighing myself at home, but tbh it's not helpful, as everybody's weight very much fluctuates during the day. For example, I weighed myself the other morning just after waking up, went to the bathroom to have a wee, weighed myself again (for a laugh) and I was 1.5lb heavier. You couldn't make it up :rolleyes: Maybe you should give yourself a break from weighing yourself at home, it creates unnecessary stress xx

sammym said:
Eating quorn curry/ bolognaise with rice or brown pasta in the evening is not a good idea. These foods are loaded with carbs. If you want to lose weight, eat carbs in the morning or in the afternoon before 2-4 pm. Choose high protein foods in the evening. Focus more on macronutrients and less on calories.

Not necessarily. What works for me is eating my largest and most carb-laden meal at 9.30pm every night. We just have to find our own way, no hard and fast rules. :) xx

It sounds like water retention. Are you drinking enough water? You should be drinking 2-3 ltrs of water, if you drink any less your body will hold the fluid it does get and cause you to gain weight (water weight) a good way to find out is to drink 2-3lts for a few days, be strict, every day and see how you get on, look out for other symptoms of water retention.

littlemiss said:
It sounds like water retention. Are you drinking enough water? You should be drinking 2-3 ltrs of water, if you drink any less your body will hold the fluid it does get and cause you to gain weight (water weight) a good way to find out is to drink 2-3lts for a few days, be strict, every day and see how you get on, look out for other symptoms of water retention.

You actually don't need to drink that much, it's only about 1.5 litres in addition to food on average that you need. Depends on how much time you want to spend on the loo, lol. Link to NHS advice below. :) xx

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/water-drinks.aspx

Last edited:

Why does it matter what time you eat your carbs? It's like the silly rules about not eating after 6. If your calories in are less than calories out = weight loss (eventually!)

Stackhead said:
Why does it matter what time you eat your carbs? It's like the silly rules about not eating after 6. If your calories in are less than calories out = weight loss (eventually!)

It doesn't matter at all, it's just one of those old weight loss myths like drinking lots of water etc. As I said, I eat a big carb-laden meal at 9.30pm every single day, and it works brilliantly for me. :) xx

Water retention is the number 1 reason why your weight would fluctuate so wildly. Try to measure yourself at the same time every day, usually right after you wake up.

Back