Weights and syns?

ColJack

Gold Member
When you have to weigh something to get a syn value or for a HeB on green days etc, does it matter if it's frozen or not?

For example does a 100g portion of frozen mince weigh / have the same syns as a fresh / defrosted portion?

Cooked vs fresh the water evaporates, but fresh vs frozen the water is still there.
That's what confuses me.
1L of water fresh or frozen should still weigh 1Kg.

Cooked vs fresh the water evaporates, but fresh vs frozen the water is still there.
That's what confuses me.
1L of water fresh or frozen should still weigh 1Kg.

Not really, when I defrost meat I get loads of water coming off it which I then don't eat so if I were going to weigh my chicken after defrosting it would be lighter as I wouldn't be putting the water/juices on the scales as well

MadameLaMinx said:
The technical bit - if you take a litre of water and freeze it, it weighs the same as it did when liquid - HOWEVER, the molecules in it expand and the volume of it increases when it is frozen. So a litre of water would be bigger than a litre of water in terms of volume and density, but would weigh the same. However, because of the change in volume and density, it would float, like ice cubes in a drink.

When an item of food containing water defrosts, some of the water will drain away from the product as part of the defrosting process, what with it being liquid and not solid any more - so 100g of frozen mince, for example, once defrosted would weigh slightly less because it now contains less water than it did, but it wont be significant enough of a difference for you to worry about. If you defrosted the meat in the bag you sealed it in for freezing however, the overall weight would remain the same because none of the water content would be allowed to escape. Overall the mass does not change.

Is your real name Sheldon cooper? :)

Hope you get that joke other wise I'll just get my coat and be off.............

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

The technical bit - if you take a litre of water and freeze it, it weighs the same as it did when liquid - HOWEVER, the molecules in it expand and the volume of it increases when it is frozen. So a litre of water would be bigger than a litre of water in terms of volume and density, but would weigh the same. However, because of the change in volume and density, it would float, like ice cubes in a drink.

When an item of food containing water defrosts, some of the water will drain away from the product as part of the defrosting process, what with it being liquid and not solid any more - so 100g of frozen mince, for example, once defrosted would weigh slightly less because it now contains less water than it did, but it wont be significant enough of a difference for you to worry about. If you defrosted the meat in the bag you sealed it in for freezing however, the overall weight would remain the same because none of the water content would be allowed to escape. Overall the mass does not change.

yeah I was uhh.. just about to say that, haha

great answer though, very informative :D

If we want to get really technical, water contracts as it cools and gets denser until about 2 degrees C then it starts expanding again as the ice crystals form.
Ice floats in water because there is usually air bubbles trapped in it from the gasses dissolved in the water being squeezed out just before it freezes.

ColJack said:
If we want to get really technical, water contracts as it cools and gets denser until about 2 degrees C then it starts expanding again as the ice crystals form.
Ice floats in water because there is usually air bubbles trapped in it from the gasses dissolved in the water being squeezed out just before it freezes.

Actually ice is less dense than water because of hydrogen bonding ie how the electrons on the oxygen bond with the hydrogen on another water atom nothing to do with air bubbles sorry Col
And yes I am doing a phD in particle physics and do aspire to be Dr Sheldon Cooper ;) Bazinga x

Back