Weightwatcher wanting some advice

I didn/t do no count but did do the old core diet which it is based on. Alot of people found that they had a again but then started losing-quite often inches before pounds. Problem is they don't promote it so consultants don't know much about it. There is avery good website [email protected](if shes changed the address just google oldchem).I returned to sw because I found it easier as you can have certain ready meals if you need to and I find it easier to follow.Good luck.

It really isn't that complicated once you get the books and see it all split up into the Free Food / Super Free Food / Healthy Extras / Syns. And now there is the Extra Easy option it really does do what it says on the tin!

Have a look at the SW for Beginners sticky at the top - it explains it all really well.

Ive looked at the begginers bit and the ww vs SW bit and have a rough idea of it....i think once ive got the books the mystery will all become clearer!!

Thank you everyone, anymore old wwers out there let me know how you found it

I've done ww in the past but struggled with counting points all the time and I really felt like I was on a diet and felt hungry quite often. I also used to save points and blow them on loads of vodka. For me, SW makes me eat healthier, although the weight loss is slow (even when I stick to it) but that could be because I'm older and don't do any formal exercise. At least I feel I'm eating healthy food now and I like not being too restricted.

I've done both and have to say SW, for me, suits me so much better, but I would say that I'm on the SW forum, ask the same question on the WW forum and you'll get most peeps saying WW is the best plan for them! All plans work if you follow them as they should be!

I remember when I did WW a good few years back and had 24 points a day that the C said I could have 3 x Mars Bars a day (3 x 8 = 24) and would still lose weight as I was within my points allowance! I didn't and chose foods that gave me the most for their points but for me it just didn't work out, but then again maybe I just wasn't in 'the zone' - so many variables as to what works for one and not others! xxx

I agree that if you ask on the SW bit, it can be biased but of course it will be! On the ww part i have alot of friends who i dont want to lose. Thats why i asked any ex-wws the opinion ,its a bit more balanced even if in the end its in favour of one plan or other.
WW really isnt working for me anymore and i have decided to take just try to eat healhty untill my starter pack arrives :D

Hey cupcakekatie, well I used to do WW for nearly 3 years, lost 3.5 stone, but found that towards the end WW just wasnt doing it for me, i started eating all the naughty things, not counting my points, and just generally being hungry all the time, so I joined SW 1st December 09, it was frustrating as i kept trying to count everything as 'points' and not syns, and it took me a good few weeks to get into, but i can honestly say i love SW now, i do have my odd moments where i get frustrated, for example if i had a few days off of WW i wouldnt put on a pound, but if i had just a bad couple of days on SW i put on quite quickly, but in general i do like it and im getting there with it, but i just have to remember i dont have far to go to hit my target so my weight loss is slowing down anyway. SW for me has opened my eyes, i now cook all my lunches/dinners, where with WW i literally lived off there microwave meals all the time, i never cooked, i love it now, im eating different things, healthy things, more fruit. So for me personally im happy i moved to SW. Hope this helps a bit xx

Hi ! i did ww for a year and have just changed to sw in the last 3 weeks. I lost a stone and a half with ww but for months plated around with the same few pounds and the weight wouldnt budge.

it is very strange to get your head around the freedom to eat at first but eventually it gets easier. i lost 1lb the 1st week,gained 1 the following but lost 4 lbs this week,i love the way it works and there is no need to be hungry,it encourages healthy eating rather than what i would do with ww is save points for treats

Hope that helps ?

x

Hiya... i too am a WW convert to SW but i've strugged to a) get my head round it as i'm so used to pointing things and b) i havent really lost much weight! I'm a veggie so i'm not sure i'm eating the right portion sizes - i think i'm eating too much even they people keep saying i can eat loads of free and superfree foods - but as a veggie i eat a lot of carbs (potatoes, pasta, rice etc..) and i cant see how eating alot of those types of food can help me lose weight. I try to be careful of the portion sizes but i still think WW gets the weight off faster but then i do find that i'm hungry on WW and i havent been on SW - oh the dilemas!!!

I know... i am so confused about it all it seems so complicated, do you have to weigh
things?

Hi Katie

I would second what most people on here are saying; it is really about finding what works best for you. I have done LOTS of diets over the years (not just WW and SW lol) and it is really about what suits me at that time in my life. Last year I lost over 2 1/2 stone on SW but the weight seemed to come off very slowly and I grew impatient as I have lots to lose. I decided that I would try WW this year for a change, as I have previously lost weight on this. Unfortunately it just wasn't right for me at the moment, and I spent 3 1/2 months losing and gaining the same half a stone!
I'm now back to SW as I know it fits into my lifestyle at present and more importantly I can sustain it long term. I am a veggie and only do green days and I ate as healthily on WW as well as I do on SW - I think at the end of the day only you can make the choices about how you eat.
I'm not sure if this helps at all, but like other people I would suggest that you give SW a try and see how you get on if you think it might be for you.

xxx

You probably know this, but potatoes aren't superfree - only free. Just wanted to point that out in case you've been eating them as superfree. x

Only free on Green though x

Also Katie, SW is a change of eating, not just a diet, my mum eats this way because it is generally a healthier way to eat anyhow. She's a diabetic and her sugar levels have been the best since being on SW. So don't necessarily look at it as a diet. Look at it as a general good healthy way to live.

I know... i am so confused about it all it seems so complicated, do you have to weigh
things?

It really isn't that complicated at all.

You can eat as much pasta, rice, grains, potatoes, lean meat and fish, pulses, quorn fruit and vegetables as your appetite dictates. The only 'rule' is that your meal should comprise one third fruit and non-starchy vegetables (so not potatoes, sweetcorn, parsnips or peas). By doing this you naturally limit the amount of the free foods you consume. All these free foods fill you up for longer relative to their calorie count so you feel less hungry and less likely to reach for high calorie snacks.

On top of this you have healthy extras that are included to make sure your diet is nutritionally balanced. On extra easy you get one A choice and one B choice. These are the only things that you need to weigh or measure because you are supposed to have a fixed amount.
A = milk and cheese
B = wholemeal bread, cereals, canned/stewed/dried fruit, olive oil, some canned soups, some cereal bars.

On top of that you get 5-15 syns a day (or you can use them on a weekly basis). All foods have a syn value and it is up to you to choose how you want to 'spend' your syns.

From what i have read so far I think that i would mainly do Extra easy days and maybe the odd red or green.

Im sligthly worried about the cereal thing...i like to have cearel but need quite a bit to feel full....how much can you have of say....weatabix for a B?

sorry if that doesnt make sense!

Shreddies are 28g and weetabix are 2 for a HEB. not too sure about any of the others of the top of my head, but I always find weetabix very filling and I sometimes add fruit on top on the shreddies and that usually keeps me going for a good few hours.

Oh 2 isnt too bad.....if i wanted 3 would i take 2 as the Extra B and then syn the other one on its own?

Oh 2 isnt too bad.....if i wanted 3 would i take 2 as the Extra B and then syn the other one on its own?

Yes..on ExtraEasy... but if I understand correctly if you are on a red or green day then you can have 2 Healthy Extras..meaning you could have 2 lots of 2 weetabix? x x

I understand :D Thank you so much. I guess all you people who know the plan really well must get bored of us confused newbies wandering around the forum asking stupid questions and bumping into things ;)

I suppose if we left more lights on, the bumping into things would stop!! :D :D :D

And anyway, we don't mind..... as long as no-one breaks anything!! ;D

Back