Weightwatcher wanting some advice

Kater-tater

Gold Member
Hello everyone,
I read the slimming world part of mini's alot, but ive never done the diet.

Ive done weightwatchers for as long as i can remember and i do it alone at home. I managed to lose a stone and a half with it on this go but have stayed the same , or gained a bit lost a bit for the last 6 months. I really just cant get back into it.
I tried WW Nocount for a week and i really liked it, not having to count things all the time but i put on 1.5 pounds (i did have a takeaway that week not in points but not enough to not lose) i enjoyed it ad i ate alot healthier and felt alot happier. The gain threw me totally and i went back to points. ive been ok but seeing as i can have alot of sweets/choc on it i just binge and feel rubbish.

I wanted to know if there are many ex-weightwatchers on here and how they have found slimmingworld etc and any advice anyone has for me and ideas if this would work for me. I am getting desperate now and losing all motivation to even bother but i really want to get into a healthy BMI at the very least (half a stone away) but want to lose 1 and a half stone more ideally.

Any advice, words of wisdom or anything would be greatly appreciated... :cry: I feel so crap.

Hey, I actually haven't done weight watchers, but I have noticed that people say that they tend to lose the weight with ww and then try and shift the last bits with SW and then maintain..

either way I wish you luck! x x

Thank you for replying.
I really want to find something HEALTHY and not too difficult to lose the rest of the weight and maintain a healthy weight... i mean id rather eat the crap than do slimfast etc. I have to eat!
I find it hard to know when i am full without eating till i feel sick....does that mean this wont work for me?

I found moving to SW from WW really really hard and it just didnt work for me. To be honest the best way to try it is to give it a go for maybe a month? Thatll give you a good run at it and see if it suits you better and if it doesnt suit you it might just reinforce that WW is the one to stick to :)

Part of the problem with doing WW at home without classes etc is you just tend to find people think 'Ive stuck to my points Ill be fine' in actual fact classes focus very very much on eating healthy and not eating junk :) A lot of the food WW are pushing members towards is SW type stuff.

If you decide to stick to WW it might be worth trying classes, even for a few weeks

No, this isn't a problem as such.. people do say that is one disadvantage to slimming world.. you are told that you eat to your appetite and some say that is over eating but if it works for you then what does it matter (in my opinion)

With the latest plan - extra easy you can eat whatever you want within reason. For example you could have a full english breakfast if you wanted as long as 1/3 of that meal has superfree veg/fruit/salad with it.. so you could have...
lean bacon (no fat) - free
potatoes cooked with fry light - free
baked beans - free
tomatoes - superfree
mushrooms - superfree
2 white nimble bread toast - Healthy Extra B
1 level tablespoon of Flora Extra light - 1/2 syn
2 Sainsburys be good to yourself Cumberland sausages - 1/2 syn each = 2 syns
So from that meal you would have your 2/3 free foods and 1/3 superfree and syns (you don't have to have syns if you don't want to but you get between 10-15 a day)

Hope that makes sense x x

Last edited:
I used to do WW too - I lost about a stone on it but I fell into the trap of trying to eat no point food all day to be able to drink wine and eat rubbish in the evenings and weekends and it stopped working. I returned to SW and loved being able to cook without weighing, fill up on tasty real food while still being able to have treats.

The SW vs WW thread is one that is much debated but you really need to try both to see what works for you.

I really cant stay on ww points, if it comes to it i will go onto nocount anyway and take the gains but be healthy. and i didnt find that hard 99% of the time.
I wouldnt go to ww meetings, i dont think they are worth it, but that is just my opinion.

Can i ask...why did you find it hard to switch to sw?

I really cant stay on ww points, if it comes to it i will go onto nocount anyway and take the gains but be healthy. and i didnt find that hard 99% of the time.
I wouldnt go to ww meetings, i dont think they are worth it, but that is just my opinion.

Also can you work out the points of random things like you can with a point calculator or is it all in books?

lean bacon (no fat) - free
potatoes cooked with fry light - superfree
baked beans - free
tomatoes - superfree
mushrooms - superfree
2 white nimble bread toast - Healthy Extra B
1 level tablespoon of Flora Extra light - 1/2 syn
2 Sainsburys be good to yourself Cumberland sausages - 1/2 syn each = 2 syns
So from that meal you would have your 2/3 free foods and 1/3 superfree and syns (you don't have to have syns if you don't want to but you get between 10-15 a day)

Hope that makes sense x x

You probably know this, but potatoes aren't superfree - only free. Just wanted to point that out in case you've been eating them as superfree. x

yeh just posted, sorry... serves me right for not reading back my post!! lol x x

Also can you work out the points of random things like you can with a point calculator or is it all in books?

I hate meetings too but you seem to be associating points with being unhealthy and thats not the case - not at all. It might be worth even going to one meeting to get the folder etc. A lot of the things youre eating on no count could be counted too. The Points plan is very much now towards filling foods.

I just didnt like it. Found I was eating the same things over and over again. I work long shifts and sometimes only have time for a quick snack at my meal break, sometimes convenience food is just that - more convenient and SW just didnt work for that either. I was eating far more on SW but I think thats why I didnt lose anything. As a matter of interest one day I converted my SW eating to points - Id had 55 points :eek: I know SW does work for a lot of people, my sister in law is proof of it ;) but it just didnt for me at all. I just felt too restricted on it. But it did get me totally back on the straight and narrow with WW :)

There isnt a Syn calculator like the points one, you need the books or the class password for the site to get them

I did WW for a long time and lost 2 stone, then I started helping at the meetings and (coincidently or not) my weight loss stopped and I kept gaining and losing the same few lbs for about a year. In fact thinking about it, all the helpers seemed to have a similar struggle. Whether it was losing the financial incentive, or not being able to pay proper attention to the meeting I don't know. I was always too busy cashing up the sales table or filling in my leader's meeting sheet for her to listen.

I joined SW within weeks of leaving WW and I did struggle. I found it difficult to get my head round the fact that some relatively low points foods were high syns. I think points were too ingrained in my mind at the time after 2 or 3 years counting them.

I have too-ed and fro-ed between both SW and WW with little success for some time. I rejoined SW 3 weeks ago today and for the first time in years I feel focussed, I'm enjoying it and I have lost my first 2 weeks, which is a novelty based on my previous serial rejoiner record :D

I see, thanks.

From my own experiance in the last 6 months, weightwatchers encourages ME to eat unhealthy. Knowing i have the points makes me spend them on rubbish, ive tried being healthy on it but the temptation is to bad and i give in. Not having any treats/something stricter worked better for me for the week apart from the gain.

Thank you for you experiance,,, i remeber you saying somethign about the SW meal you used to have that was about a days points!

ive never done ww but slimming world is the first diet ive followed, lost weight and, find super easy to get back into if i fall off the wagon. i too could eat and, eat and never feel full but the meals on slimming world are good filling meals. you can eat loads and, never feel hungry. you have syns which you use on the rubbish food. sw is aimed more towards healthy eating.
a little tip i have tried and tested and do everyday to stop that binging is allowing myself to feel truly hungry. most people think oh its breakfast time i should have breakfast without thinking its breakfast time am i really hungry?
i wait untill i feel phsically hungry before i eat and, this banishes cravings and, therefor stops the bingeing because your feeding hunger.
its hard to get used to the signal at first and a few times ive gone over the hungry stage and felt a bit faint and shakey but once you train your body to reconise thos signs its easy. the signs i use are my tummy rumbling and, the one i know for sure is when i wake in the morning sometimes i get a burning in my stomach like ive not eaten for a week when i get this i know im truly hungry and, not just wanting to satisfy an urge to eat. if you eat when your not truly hungry food will not satisfy you and thats when you binge. hope this helps xx

Hi there and firstly well done on you loss so far!

I changed from WW to SW and had no problems at all. However, I did go to class first to get the basics. Once I had the principles understood, then I went alone. My advice would be for you to have a look at the food diary section on here to give you some ideas. The nice thing with SW is that even though you think that you have to eat masses in order to loose the weight...SW motto used to be "the more you eat, the more you loose", I've managed 8 stone so far and I have a gastric band, so that isnt the case!

Good luck with what ever you decide.

x

Snozzberry - i love your name!!!

the fact slimming world seems really complicted is puttin me off.
Im going to think about it.
I can see its going to be hard especially as i could pretty much tell you the points of anything seeing as ive done ww for about 5 years on and off and mum has done it for about 20. but maybe i need something diffrent.

Thank you everyone, you are so lovely!
Its good to hear different peoples experiances.
I am a SW minis lurker even on ww. i always read the food diarys ha!

Snozzberry - i love your name!!!

the fact slimming world seems really complicted is puttin me off.
Im going to think about it.
I can see its going to be hard especially as i could pretty much tell you the points of anything seeing as ive done ww for about 5 years on and off and mum has done it for about 20. but maybe i need something diffrent.

a change might be just what you need. SW is definitely more complicated than WW but you'll get the hang of it & you'll get TONS of help & support here x

Back