Weird group last night - but SW did itself proud

I will succeed!!!
Group was weird last night...very weird! But SW was really supportive and great too!

It's not a big group (compared to others)- probs 60 come for WI and 30-40 stay for group. There were only 8 members last night that attended. Traffic had been HORRID in town so thought it was mostly due to that. But from what I gathered (missed the pre-group chat being late), it sounds like a lot of our members have been badly affected. But I tell you what - SW did itself proud. I had emailed our C on Monday to see if it was on and she said yes and she opened up saying she wanted to offer something 'normal' to us and didn't want to not run group because she felt herself it was a nice break from 'everything' for an hour. Our regional SW manager attended from Gretna to support her and the members and said she is going to approach SW HQ about doing something to help.

It was a sad group but at the same time very inspirational too. I am going to write to SW to say how good it was to have not only a fab C but that the areas manager came too and asked what SW could do.

So thank you SW :D

It's not a big group (compared to others)- probs 60 come for WI and 30-40 stay for group.

Bloody hell. I'd say 30 get weighed and 15 maybe 20 on a night with new members stay. I know my C runs two groups .... BUT, if i had to sit in a room with up to 40 people, id be like :O lol

- also, my god your class must go on for ages! my c can go on for 2 hours, and thats just when theres 10 of us haha.

back on track.. sw are fab and im glad thier being supportive, im sure it was a nice evening for you, and a lil break away from the chaos. xxx

Bloody hell. I'd say 30 get weighed and 15 maybe 20 on a night with new members stay. I know my C runs two groups .... BUT, if i had to sit in a room with up to 40 people, id be like :O lol

- also, my god your class must go on for ages! my c can go on for 2 hours, and thats just when theres 10 of us haha.

back on track.. sw are fab and im glad thier being supportive, im sure it was a nice evening for you, and a lil break away from the chaos. xxx

The group is open from 5pm but the chat starts at 6pm after WI and new starter talks (she does those while others do WI). We're usually out by 7pm but she offers to stay if we need to chat to her.

Ours is a relatively small group compared to some here - another town near here has 4 groups a week to accomodate numbers but we just have the one in our town. Funny how different it is xxx

Very thoughtful of them to take the time and trouble to want to be involved. It must be very hard at the moment for any of your group to be focused and on plan given the circumstances, so well done to the ones that attended class for even going. Thats determination.

So what exactly did you all do then?

So what exactly did you all do then?

We had the opening chat, where we let the others know how other members were (some are friends outside group etc) etc. We then did the normal WI discussion and awards. Once we got that sorted, our area manager stood up and said that she'd come down to offer the C support, and us, and that she was impressed by the fact we'd carried on. She then asked for our help giving her an idea of what support SW could offer. A lot of the group have been actively helping: I donated clothing and food earlier this week, a couple of the ladies who are retired spent Monday and Tuesday helping feed those in the accomodation, and a few others work for the Council etc and have been busy through work.

I got the number of the furniture collection point and am donating a sofa and bedframe we no longer need and as a group we are trying to get as many Christmas gifts sorted to hand in to distribute to the families who have lost everything. So I've emailed all my close friends and family who said they'll buy some childrens toys and drop in when they visit.

Basically, we're (as a town and a group now) trying to get things ready to try and give the families a Christmas and also get stuff ready for them to furnish their rental homes which they can then take to their own homes if insurance doesn't cover new stuff.

I think the area manager said she'll see what SW can do and offered help to our group to try and raise some cash as a group through a sponsored event (I said a sponsored slim) or the like.

xxx

Yeh thats really good from both you guys and the SW people to try and do something. How close are you to the stuff weve been seeing on telly?

Yeh thats really good from both you guys and the SW people to try and do something. How close are you to the stuff weve been seeing on telly?

I completed a sale (me selling) on a flat that was on Market Place which flooded. We had the top flat (3 floors) but they thought the water would hit the bottom flat (and therefore the entrance hall and shared access). But it didn't get as high as they feared. It wouldn't have been a major issue to us anyway as all we'd have lost is a buyer so no great shakes and it not flooding and completing was just a bonus really. Our friends homes flooded - we had to help them move stuff out of ground floor as it started. Gutted for them. OH's friend has a business on Main Street and that's gutted - and he has a classic car in the garage which is now ruined.

But compared to most people they're all relatively ok. The business will recover and the house isn't badly damaged compared to most.

I live in the village (moved out of the town itself last year) - 2miles down the river. Luckily the village is up a big hill so no flooding of the properties there, but the bridge is cracking and probably will go if we get high water again - or need to be replaced. Workington is further down the river and is badly flooded - that's where the poiliceman died when the bridge collapsed. 7 bridges crossing the Cocker or the Derwent have collapsed, one is going to and another 12 are closed due to damage. Driving anywhere is terrible but no choice but to for work and such. Basically, the local area is split into two access wise but if the rain holds off it shouldn't get worse. It'll take a long time to sort the roads out and Cockermouth town centre, but it'll get back on feet in time. Cumbrians are tough :) (I'm not a local - moved here 3 years ago - but they are impressively strong people).

xxx

We only had 8 stay to class last night too; but then there may only be 20-25 stay on a good night anyway.

Back