Welcome Newbies (the ones who want to actually follow the plan!!)

Lucky7

Lucky7
Hope you're all enjoying it. The slimming world plan is fantastic. There is no reason to be hungry, or not enjoy delicious meals. The people on here have been brilliant - always full of support and ideas. There are some amazing cooks who regularly share their recipes, and some people who I wish were my big sisters (and brothers) because their common sense and advise can see you through some real tough patches.
Welcome to minimins xx :D

(To the people who actually can't really be arsed to learn about the plan by at least going to ONE meeting to get the books and have it all explained; or 'don't like fruit and veg so will do it without'; or will do it alternating with another diet; or will do the food but with an extra bottle of wines worth of syns a day; or who only want to do it 5 days a week. Please don't kid yourself. You are NOT following the plan. In a few weeks when you say 'the' plan isn't working', the plan you will be referring to when you say how much you have (or haven't) lost, will be your own one. The whole point of the slimming world plan, and others like it, is that it has been researched and developed over a long period of time. If you follow it properly it works. If you don't follow it properly, it might not.
If you decide to do something then cheat at it, the only person you're cheating is yourself. Sometimes there isn't a way of losing weight if you aren't willing to change your habits, if those habits are what made you put on weight in the first place.
Sorry if I sound grumpy, but usually this forum is a really helpful place to get inspiration and ideas, and at the moment it just seems to be full of excuses, ifs and buts.)

:sigh: Had to get that off my chest. Apologies if I offended anyone. I'll go to bed now so I don't spread any more gloom. :4633:

The threads that have most help me out in the past are the 'what's for breakfast' and similar for lunch and dinner. It's great to see what ideas other people have, especially when you get a bit stuck in a rut. I know I'm def guilty of not changing my meals enough from day to day at Breakfast and Lunch (dinner I'm not such a boring sod for). Maybe once I've finished my alcohol-free January New Years resolution, I might have a Feb resolution to change meals about a bit more.

And I think it's really unprofessional, rude and unnecessary to be 'grumpy' as you put it.

If you find people's posts full of excuses don't read it as soon as you see the pattern it's going.

You don't know what people go through in their life nor do you know how they truly feel.

Be there for them if u can, but don't put anyone down for even trying to lose weight.

God forbid your post makes someone feel like rubbish.

I did "the plan" for the whole of 12 months last year from home. Borrowed books off my mum and lost 2st plus.

This year, well next week... i'm going to my first meeting to get that elusive 2st off thats left.

I wish everyone having a go at it from home all the best. It's a way of life for me now, and once you get in the flow you'll be amazed at how much you can eat and still lose weight.

Keep at it guys, it doesn't happen overnight! :)

And I think it's really unprofessional, rude and unnecessary to be 'grumpy' as you put it.

If you find people's posts full of excuses don't read it as soon as you see the pattern it's going.

You don't know what people go through in their life nor do you know how they truly feel.

Be there for them if u can, but don't put anyone down for even trying to lose weight.

God forbid your post makes someone feel like rubbish.

I'm not sure why you think I should be 'professional' - it was my personal response, as a person, not a professional.

And I think if people are saying they're following the Slimming World plan they should at least START the first week with some intention of trying to do it properly (with free food as per plan, healthy extras, and syns - as per the plan). That is the plan. If they don't think the plan suits them there are loads of others out there. In a few weeks the forums will be full of people saying the plan didn't work for them because they aren't really following it.

Lucky7 said:
I'm not sure why you think I should be 'professional' - it was my personal response, as a person, not a professional.

And I think if people are saying they're following the Slimming World plan they should at least START the first week with some intention of trying to do it properly (with free food as per plan, healthy extras, and syns - as per the plan). That is the plan. If they don't think the plan suits them there are loads of others out there. In a few weeks the forums will be full of people saying the plan didn't work for them because they aren't really following it.

You're right, they should follow plan but if they don't that's their prerogative. Not mine or yours.

*I* dislike people putting others efforts down. We are not here to judge anyone, especially people who share the same desires of weightless like ourself.

And just because you have a personal opinion doesn't mean it needs to be aired.

I did "the plan" for the whole of 12 months last year from home. Borrowed books off my mum and lost 2st plus.

This year, well next week... i'm going to my first meeting to get that elusive 2st off thats left.

I wish everyone having a go at it from home all the best. It's a way of life for me now, and once you get in the flow you'll be amazed at how much you can eat and still lose weight.

Keep at it guys, it doesn't happen overnight! :)

Well done - excellent losses!!
Nothing wrong with doing it from home, once you're armed with all the information and committed to following it properly, which you obviously were. Good luck at your first meeting!!

You're right, they should follow plan but if they don't that's their prerogative. Not mine or yours.

*I* dislike people putting others efforts down. We are not here to judge anyone, especially people who share the same desires of weightless like ourself.

And just because you have a personal opinion doesn't mean it needs to be aired.

Quite right, no reason at all. In future if *I* don't like the sound of what someone's saying I'll stop reading and not respond. Thanks for sharing / airing your opinion Roziee. ;)

Thanks a lot, I fall into the blokey conception that it's going to be a load of women and originally I avoided that.

One of my friends who I played football with some years ago had talked me into going to his group. I'm hoping that following the regime even stricter and getting inspiration and ideas from the group will drive me to my target quicker :)

To be absolutely honest I stopped going to class mostly because I find all the clapping really embarrassing. I don't even know / understand why I'm so uncomfortable with it, but it makes me kind of cringe inside - especially when it's directed at me. Bit of a sad reason really. I rejoined the other week to get the new books and am getting a bit too used to having the webside / syns online / diary tool at my disposal so I might give it another few weeks and see if I can get past the clapping thing this time round.

I found this post quite refreshing Lucky7.

Nodge, congrats on your weight loss! Hopefully group will boost your losses even more. It's a strange environment, I'll give you that; I struggle to enjoy them and toyed with not going at all. Anyway, I'm glad I changed my mind, my group is hilarious!

To be absolutely honest I stopped going to class mostly because I find all the clapping really embarrassing. I don't even know / understand why I'm so uncomfortable with it, but it makes me kind of cringe inside - especially when it's directed at me. Bit of a sad reason really. I rejoined the other week to get the new books and am getting a bit too used to having the webside / syns online / diary tool at my disposal so I might give it another few weeks and see if I can get past the clapping thing this time round.

LOL did you just give everyone who does it from home a big lecture about not going to class and then admit that you don't like going to class, did the plan from home and are thinking of quitting class?

Makes me chuckle :D

PS I go to class. But I've done it without too. Both work if you put the effort in. Both fail if you don't.

LOL did you just give everyone who does it from home a big lecture about not going to class and then admit that you don't like going to class, did the plan from home and are thinking of quitting class?

Makes me chuckle :D

PS I go to class. But I've done it without too. Both work if you put the effort in. Both fail if you don't.

No - I didn't say everyone should go to class all the time. I said that they should make sure they've armed themselves with all the info. If that means going at least once to get the plan explained and get a copy of the book with the plan in it (which lots of us are doing in Jan 2012 even though we've followed the plan for ages anyway, because we want the updated info). And no, I don't like going to class, but I wanted the info. Now I suppose I'll be one of these weigh-and-run people for a bit 'til I can wean myself off the shiny tools on the SW site (and til my friend has got a bit more confident going to class alone).

Maybe in my grumpiness (and I was in a big black cloud of it last night for some reason generally) stopped me explaining myself properly. My main grumble wasn't about people not going to class, but about people cherry-picking the plan. Sticking to bits of it and disregarding other bits, and expecting losses. And quite frankly, they are often the same people that expect to lose all their weight and be a size 8 strutting their stuff by the pool by the Easter bank holiday.

I'm sure it's not just on here. It's January so it'll be everywhere. People are always looking for the next quick-fix, and the truth is that there aren't any. If there were, the medical profession would be using them to help people if it were in the public domain, or it'd cost more than £4.95 per week if it was being kept exclusive! The plan does work, but you have to put effort in by sticking to the it. Maybe not 100% all the time, but certainly including your superfree if you decide to do EE, and by compromising on the high syn things - and yes that probably does mean you can't have as much wine, beer, chocolate, mayo, take-aways as before. But at least we can still have some, unlike on a lot of other plans.

Anyway. As someone else said, if those people don't want to stick to the plan and do it properly, that's their choice. It's none of my business.

Well I've done the plan almost 6 months no cheating followed the plan word by word and my weighloss is currently 6st 4.5lb think this is proof that if followed correctly the plan really does work .

I agree , well said OP. The plan doesnt fail, people fail. I stopped going to class because I was sick and tired of listening to people say that they ate and drunk like a pig all weekend as they had friends/celebrations/bbq/cold any excuse , sometimes they still lost and that made a mockery of the rest of us who had stuck to the plan religiously. If they had put on they seemed to blame the plan and we had to spend all of our precious time listening to how these selfish people could stop eating things extra to the plan. Now some would say thats why we are there, yes, but to listen to the same people every week that do the same thing week on week was too much for me. The consultant gave them so much time and they clearly were not following the plan at all. I really dont want to hear about people who gorge on chocolate and still manage to lose weight, will it tempt me to try? maybe. I work really hard at losing my weight and find it a struggle to stay on plan. I love this site because at least I dont have to read anything that starts with ' Have I blown it this week' . The support on here is fantastic and with it I will succeed.

Can't disagree with you in theory, however we're all human and most of us are overweight in the first place because we have 'problems' making the right food choices and many will also have emotional issues with food. Therefore it's doesn't surprise me that many struggle sticking to plan 100% (especially newbies who've joined after a Christmas where we've overindulged for many days).

We all start full of hope and with the best intentions and are often upset when we find it's harder than we thought to control ourselves and stick to plan.

I have nothing but respect for those who stick to plan 100% (or even 95%) and achieve their goals, but for most of us it will be a much slower journey, alas one that many won't complete.

On a wonderfully supportive forum like this I have no problems with helping people who think they stuck to plan (even when they haven't) or who freely admit they don't always stick to plan and are still disappointed with their weight losses. Because sure as eggs are eggs I'll need that support too one day.

eye6769 said:
I agree , well said OP. The plan doesnt fail, people fail. I stopped going to class because I was sick and tired of listening to people say that they ate and drunk like a pig all weekend as they had friends/celebrations/bbq/cold any excuse , sometimes they still lost and that made a mockery of the rest of us who had stuck to the plan religiously. If they had put on they seemed to blame the plan and we had to spend all of our precious time listening to how these selfish people could stop eating things extra to the plan. Now some would say thats why we are there, yes, but to listen to the same people every week that do the same thing week on week was too much for me. The consultant gave them so much time and they clearly were not following the plan at all. I really dont want to hear about people who gorge on chocolate and still manage to lose weight, will it tempt me to try? maybe. I work really hard at losing my weight and find it a struggle to stay on plan. I love this site because at least I dont have to read anything that starts with ' Have I blown it this week' . The support on here is fantastic and with it I will succeed.

I stopped going to class for the same reason! People losing weight by the bucketload who then sat & said they had wine/ choc/ crisps all weekend just made a mockery of it for me. Plus I just hate cliques & any group I go to has them, plus I hate watching the ass kissing that goes on. So at home is my choice & without the support of the lovely miniminners I wouldn't be half as motivated. X

The reason I initially stopped going to class was as I neared target the most I was losing was half a pound a month !! My consultant at the time accused me of cheating and not being aware of the odd biscuit I must have been eating. I don't buy biscuits !!
Anyway I came on here as well as going to class ans someone suggested using the same amounts of ingredients they use in SW recipes. In a way you could say I tweaked the plan by measuring things like pasta rice potatoes but it worked and I began losing half a pound a week until target. I got no support at target so left.Guess what . . yes i re-gained 2/3 of what I lost Although I find the classes cringe worthy, I need then for me to keep on track.

Yes we all need support at different times, we can all have low days or days when you do not know what to eat, and I like to help if I can. We all manage really well on here and support is the key to success, where ever it comes from and if its from going to group then keep at it, if its from forum and group or forum alone, may your journey be smooth and I wish you all well. x x

Back