Welcome!

Watergirl

Rock Solid
:welcome2:

Thanks to the lovely Mini we've been allowed to start up a board for the South Beach Diet (SBD).

Hopefully I won't be on my own for too long :cool:

I've not been on this diet for that long myself, but it's going well so far. So if anyone interested in starting wants to asks questions, please go ahead.

The diet is, in essence, a 3 stage plan.

1) The first stage is quite similar to Atkins, in that it restricts carbs; for a period of 2 weeks. You can expect to lose 8-12lbs according to the literature and you get a desert every night!!!

2) This is the steady weight loss phase and people can lose 1-2lbs per week. You can introduce good carbs here.

3) This is the maintenance phase and an achieveable way of eating for life.

The important thing is knowing the difference between good carbs and bad carbs - the less processed the food the better really.

Phases 2 and 3 are very similar to a low G.I. diet, so the recipes are often interchangeable.

What is nice about the diet is the initial phase which focuses on eradicating cravings and kick starting the weight loss.

The recipes are a little intricate so I'm not sure if it's for people who hate cooking. However, on the plus side, there are plenty of things that you can eat without any cooking expertise whatsoever.

I have tried a few of the recipes so far and they have gone down well in our house. The maple almond flan is delicious. The creamy chicken florentine soup is the nicest soup I've had.

So, for me, so far, I'm pleased with the food. I'm going to leave off weighing myself, but it's nice not having a heavy feeling before bed.

Oh Liz, I've read all the threads you've put on here about this diet and it sounds yummy!! I've never heard of it but see that Alli's tried it and thought it was good. A bit more research on my part, just to find out about what to do and I may be joining you!! Keep going with the info please. xxx

Thanks guys :) was hoping one or two of my friends might pop over and say hi! :)

I bought the book "The South Beach Diet Supercharged" from WHSmiths Bess - I had a gift card. It was aroun £10, but you can probably find it more cheaply.

Whilst it's an American diet, the book sold in the UK has been tailored to the British market in terms of recipes (sometimes I read American things and have no idea what they're on about!). A lot of the book made sense to me, particularly the always feeling hungry because my blood sugar was all over the place.

I'm very excited at the moment because I have just made SBD Shepherd's Pie. It sounded horrendous; cauliflour instead of potato and I hate cauliflour lol. But, I decided to trust the recipe, didn't add any of my own twist to it and it was the nicest one I've ever had. BF loved it too.

Just said to him 'can't believe I liked it. If this is my diet food I could do this forever!' So it's made my day :)

Hi Liz

I am doing Atkins but will be keeping an eye on your recipe thread! Good luck with SB. x

Hi Liz

I am doing Atkins but will be keeping an eye on your recipe thread! Good luck with SB. x

Thanks for that. It's good that a lot of the recipes are interchangeable, so I'll be looking at Atkins things too. Am sure they can be adapted :) xxx

Good luck with SB will keep a look at your thread, how are you finding it, how long have you been doing this diet, I am trying to cut down on carbs.......

Absolutely!! I have a friend doing SB & we're constantly swapping recipes... she's in love with the MiM's we have on the Atkins thread. x

What's a MiM? Are they the recipes? Will have to take a look!

Good luck with SB will keep a look at your thread, how are you finding it, how long have you been doing this diet, I am trying to cut down on carbs.......

Finding it REALLY easy mainly because I have no appetite! :D
Boyfriend thinks it's a miracle as I am ALWAYS hungry lol.

Been doing it since Sunday and phase 1 is meant to be the hardest/most restrictive and I feel I could do it indefinitely.

However, I am going to do it properly and only stick to phase one for the two weeks.

Thanks for your interest :)

Hi. Although I'm not actually doing SBD, I am doing something very, very similar so it's great to see this board. I did once own the SBD book but lost it a while ago but it always seemed to make a awful lot of sense to me.

Hopefully I'll be able to pick up some hints and tips for my own weight loss journey here (and contribute if I can).

--
My name is Whiskey and I am obese
... but not for long!

Hi. Although I'm not actually doing SBD, I am doing something very, very similar so it's great to see this board. I did once own the SBD book but lost it a while ago but it always seemed to make a awful lot of sense to me.

Hopefully I'll be able to pick up some hints and tips for my own weight loss journey here (and contribute if I can).

--
My name is Whiskey and I am obese
... but not for long!

Hey Whiskey, nice to see you here :D

We have the same goal weight, so we can keep each other company!

If you have any nice recipes please feel free to add them to the recipe thread

Sounds good :). I just messed up the shiny new board by posting a recipe in the wrong place - bah, can't take me anywhere :booboo:

Sounds good :). I just messed up the shiny new board by posting a recipe in the wrong place - bah, can't take me anywhere :booboo:

Haha - sod it - I'm not that tidy in real life :D

Maybe we should get a cleaner in here?
Off to check out your recipe :)

A MiM is a muffin in a minute. Its made from flaxseed so helps keep you regular too...

http://www.minimins.com/atkins-diet/139295-mims.html

Just made one and all I can say is WOW :D
They are really lovely. I added some orange extract to mine and then topped it with some cream cheese mixed with a tspn splendor and more orange extract.

Was trying to recreate carrot cake (my fav), but need to buy some ginger, as my ginger was mouldy :jelous:

Seems almost hard to believe that it's low carb or healthy though - it was so cake like.

I'm very impressed.

I'm just thinking about how I won't want to stop phase 1 especially if the weight loss is good.

Just checked in my book and you can have only 30g of flaxseed daily and then no other nut products, so this won't be a daily treat!

Back