Well I never, things you didn't know.

ColJack

Gold Member
Just found out that the name Wendy was made up for the book Peter pan.

Anyone got any other things that you never knew?

Sent from my iPod touch using MiniMins

I discovered the other day while I was looking for something else, that Hugh Fraser, who plays Captain Hastings to David Suchet's Poirot, was a member of the group of musicians who appeared in the first series of 'Rainbow' in the seventies, and also co-wrote the theme tune. All together now....'Up above the streets and houses ...'

I never knew that the word yobs came from the word boys

Oh I knew the Wendy thing cos it's my mums name :D haha I love trivia like that.

I always thought that Wendy was just a shortened version of gwendoline.

The name of Wendy was known, mainly in America, before it was used in Peter Pan, but J. M. Barrie probably wasn't aware of this, as he took the name from something a child of his acquaintance used to say.

The first production of the play was in 1904 and the novel version came out in 1912 - the name became popular after that.

That's also where the Wendy House came from - in the play the children build a little house which became known as a Wendy House and an enterprising manufacturer started making them for gardens.

I always thought that Wendy was just a shortened version of gwendoline.

It sounds like it is! There are some shortened names I find really weird, like Jack/John, I mean it's not even shorter! And how do they get Peggy from Margaret?:confused:

Peggy from Margaret went via maggy to meg and then for some reason they started swapping m's for p's in a few names, like polly from Molly. Maybe it was a product of letter fonts when writing the names down, a particularly misshapen m written in some book somewhere.

Oh. I know one. The longest sperm cell at a whopping 5.8cm belongs to...

wait for it...

it's amazing actually...

A FRUIT FLY (the Drosophila hydei to be exact)! :D

The grove from your nose to your mouth is called your philtrum.
I remember it by its the bit that filters snot into your mouth.

And my daughters favourate in biology was the tail of a sperm is called a flagellum.

Most spiders in the bath are male, they fall in looking for girls!

Herbs de Provence has lavender in it ( I love them but only recently read the ingredients).

.....Well I never,things you didn't know.....but do know really....

1 Pizza,garlic bread, followed by tirramisu and a bottle of wine will take you over your syns not only for the day/week but for the entire decade.

2 That kitchen drawer with the old keys,broken tin opener and loose staples, you know the one you are definately going to tidy on Sunday, will, with surety be full of the same metal bombay mix next July

Back