What a waste of time

Gosh - that seems really high, not good!!! I have some in my freezer i think, is it the healthy something or other range??

I did the calculation too, and came up with something similar.

Both the Waitrose ones come up as free.

The Sainsbury one is 5 syns per package.

Hi Pickle, yes I definately put it down on the calculator as "poultry" and "free food allowance" it was 18 syns. I know it's shocking, I was shocked myself trust me!

Hi Gettingthinnerbytheday (wow mouthful lol!!) it was just just Tesco's own brand, I did look for extra lean or healthy living/choice or whatever you call it but they didn't have any (I do my shopping on line)

Hi Clairybella I made 6 good size burgers, I suppose I could have syned them but i my mind it seems to wrong to syn "normal" food, crazy I know!! I'd much prefer a little choccy bar!! lol

Hi Avisk, I'll have to make a trip to Waitrose next time, it just goes to show that we could potentially be consuming so extra syns without realising it doesn't it!

xxx

Tesco standard turkey mince is only 9.9% fat
Typical Values
100g raw as sold Per serving (125g)
Energy695kJ (170kcal) 870kJ (210kcal) Protein 18.0g 22.5g
Carbohydrate 1.3g 1.6g
Sugars 0.1g 0.1g
Fat 9.9g 12.4g
Saturates 2.8g 3.5g
Mono Unsaturates4.5g 5.6g
Polyunsaturates 2.6g 3.3g
Fibre 0.5g 0.6g
Sodium* 0.1g 0.1g*
Salt Equivalent 0.3g 0.3g
On the front, it says it is 18% of RDA.
As Circes says, lean meat is typically less than 10% fat, which makes the turkey mince lean, which makes it free!

Just as an added note, if you tried to put dried wholewheat pasta through the syns calculator, it comes up 50 syns for the bag on a green day with pasta as thr free food! Just goes to show...

Any food will come out as syns on the calculator if you are working out the whole lot. All though slimming world say all food is free, it is still within in moderation, as at the end of the day, although slimming world is not about calories or fat content, if you are consuming more than you need in a day, you will sadly not lose weight or may even gain.

12.6g of fat for turkey mince is really high for a 125g serving and that is definately not lean.

I buy extra lean turkey mince, which is made from turkey breast, it has 1.5g of total fat for a 112g serving, so you can see the comparison.

Last edited:
Any food will come out as syns on the calculator if you are working out the whole lot. All though slimming world say all food is free, it is still within in moderation, as at the end of the day, although slimming world is not about calories or fat content, if you are consuming more than you need in a day, you will sadly not lose weight or may even gain.

12.6g of fat for turkey mince is really high for a 125g serving and that is definately not lean.

I buy extra lean turkey mince, which is made from turkey breast, it has 1.5g of total fat for a 112g serving, so you can see the comparison.

Wow - that is a huge difference...

You would have thought that SW would have put the different syn values up for meat if there is gonna be that much difference and not jut allow everyone to assume they are eating 'free' food...

Wow - that is a huge difference...

You would have thought that SW would have put the different syn values up for meat if there is gonna be that much difference and not jut allow everyone to assume they are eating 'free' food...

The mince that victoria posted though was not lean mince, it does say in the syn guide that 28g of lean turkey mince is free. You just have to make sure you are indeed picking up the lean packet. As there are non lean varieties avaible, the same with beef mince etc.

Britmum, I have just done it again and taken the portion size right down there's still syns, I think it's safe to say this turkey mince is not free. Like everyone has said it's worth checking things if we're not sure in future, I certainly will be! xx

I use Tesco turkey mince all the time in bolognese and burgers and always used it as free. I am CERTAIN that I have seen it on syns online and that is why I have used it, as Extra Lean beef mince is so expensive in comparison.

I did notice that recently Asda have started doing a white turkey mince and a dark turkey mince, and that their dark turkey mince was much fattier than normal, as I used to get it from there when i couldn't get to Tesco, so I stopped using it as the white turkey mince is expensive.

So, if it's gone from syns online, that's a bugger, and I'm well miffed.

Has anyone tried a partial search, like tesco - turkey or tesco - mince and seen what comes up?

Come on peeps, save my turkey mince and say it ain't so!!!

I did a search for Tesco/Asda and whichever way I entered it nothing came up.:mad: Lean turkey mince is mentioned in basic foods or something but it doesn't help that the actual shop brand isn't there. Hmm.

Come on peeps, save my turkey mince and say it ain't so!!!

Hey Vixster - been having a scout round and this is the best I can come up with at decent price (£1.79 for 500g)...

042470.jpg

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sainsbury's Lean Turkey Mince, 500g pack, chilled 100g[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
extraeasy.gif
½ Syn on Extra Easy
red.gif
Original ½ Syn
green.gif
Green 6½ Syns
[/FONT]
[/FONT]​

Not free but not too bad!!

I buy the leanest I can afford and rinse it off in boiling water when it cooked then wash the pan out - prob not the sw way but it works for me and my budget.

That just shows how much different brands of turkey mince can vary, as that is lean mince, which says in the syn guide 28g of is free, but obviously that one isnt free.

That is why we should never assume something is free and should always check. We could think we are having a 100% week and not be at all.

The syns calculator does need working on though, as although it is right for most things, it does occasionally give a way out result. A handheld device is definately needed too, but they don't seem to be budging on their decision with that one, which is a shame.

Last edited:
Back