What are net carbs and how do i calculate them??

JustForMe

Gold Member
Sorry for been a pain! :eek:

ur not a pain at all hunnie , if its an american product (allot from the low carb websites are ) you have to deduct the fibre from the carbs but not in the uk or european products , they are already deducted (listed seperately )
you do have to deduct the polyols (or sugar alcohols ,malitol ect)
so if its a uk product and it sais
10g carbs ,
6 gr fibre
2 gr polyols (or other)
it would actually just be the 10g minus the 2 gr sugar alcohols(polyols)
=8gr net carbs

if that same products was american it would only be
2gr net carbs as you also need to deduct the fibre from the total . basically in the uk they lists the fibre completely seperate where as the americans add them to the carb count .
clear as mud ???? LOL ????
so totaly ignore the total sugar of carbs it means nothing to us :0)
hope this helps, i like to confuse the issue :0)

ehhhhh lol i dont get it...

can you work out the net carbs on this for me...

Per 55g serving Per 100g serving

Energy 896 kj (214kcal) 1629kj(389kcal)
Protein 18.9 g 34.4g
Fat, total 2.6g 4.4g
as saturates 1.2g 2.2g
Carbs, total 28.4 51.6g
as sugars 25.9 47.1g
Diertary fibre, total 0.32g 0.58g

it doesnt list any of the other stuff

sorry if this is completely useless info :p

If its a UK product that you have listed there, then its 28.4g of carb per serving

In the UK we don't deduct fibre on the labels.

If its a USA or Europe product (IMPORTED ONLY)- you do deduct the fibre, So the serving would then be 28.08g carbs per serving.

The only thing we deduct from label in UK are Sugar Alchohols like Malitol, Sorbitol . So if a label for say sugar free choc said per 100g "Carbohydrate 87.5g of which polyols 80g" the net carbs would be 7.5g per 100g.

Help any?

i think the problem is the thing im looking at ... ill have a look on summat else

yup that !!!
sure its only us prods that u deduct fibre tho , might be wrong though , jim ???

most things in the cupboard dont even mention polyols...ill have a look at the labels in tesco tomorrow itll make more sense then lol

but thanks for explaining

most things in the cupboard dont even mention polyols...ill have a look at the labels in tesco tomorrow itll make more sense then lol

but thanks for explaining
youll only usually find polyols and such, in sugar free products such as diabetic chocs and low carb sweets ect

im just trying to work it out on general food like not on sweet stuff. theyre ok cos im just going to stick with the atkins range.

oh well normal stuff youll just be looking at the total carb count then hun xx

Yes you only deduct the fibre from US Products, remember Atkins products in the UK are made in Holland, so follow the same EU rules as the UK.

Back