What are people measuring out there?

Discussion in 'Exante' started by DDB2W, 31 March 2011 Social URL.

1. DDB2W

DDB2W Member

Start Weight:
    14st0lb
    Current Weight:
    12st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st13lb
    Lost(%):
    1st9lb(11.73%)
    Diet:
    Exante
    Just a quick question as to what people are measuring when losing weight because I heard that

a). BMI is unreliable because you could be classed as overweight just coz you have more muscle mass than the average

b). If you just measure weight loss, it's not just the fat, it's the muscle as well (On a sidenote, I'm slightly paranoid about losing muscle mass and wondering if the 50 or so grams of protein in my 3 shakes a day is keeping my body appeased.

So although my weight is dropping nicely, I just want a little peace of mind that at the end when I reach my target weight, I'm not just bones, fat, skin and no muscle, but my BMI is correct :D

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. FattyMcBigbum

FattyMcBigbum Gold Member

Start Weight:
    26st2.2lb
    Current Weight:
    24st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    21st5lb
    Lost(%):
    1st3.2lb(4.7%)
    Diet:
    Slim Fast
    I have body analyser scales that tell me my muscle % water % and fat % as well as my weight but I only ever look at lbs lost ^^

4. cybill

cybill Gold Member

Start Weight:
    21st11lb
    Current Weight:
    18st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st3lb
    Lost(%):
    3st2lb(14.43%)
    Diet:
    Exante
    I'm only looking at weight lost at the moment, and keeping track of my bmi. I'm trusting that as (well, until recently) I'd been sticking to the vlcd element, that I will be burning more fat than muscle, and the exercise I'm doing seems to work for me.

I think bmi is useful for me as a guide, to give me a gauge of how I'm doing. I think if you're doing a lot of exercise / weight work, then it's probably not so good, but is a reasonable guide.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.