What are people measuring out there?

DDB2W

Just a quick question as to what people are measuring when losing weight because I heard that

a). BMI is unreliable because you could be classed as overweight just coz you have more muscle mass than the average

b). If you just measure weight loss, it's not just the fat, it's the muscle as well (On a sidenote, I'm slightly paranoid about losing muscle mass and wondering if the 50 or so grams of protein in my 3 shakes a day is keeping my body appeased.

So although my weight is dropping nicely, I just want a little peace of mind that at the end when I reach my target weight, I'm not just bones, fat, skin and no muscle, but my BMI is correct :D

I'm only looking at weight lost at the moment, and keeping track of my bmi. I'm trusting that as (well, until recently) I'd been sticking to the vlcd element, that I will be burning more fat than muscle, and the exercise I'm doing seems to work for me.

I think bmi is useful for me as a guide, to give me a gauge of how I'm doing. I think if you're doing a lot of exercise / weight work, then it's probably not so good, but is a reasonable guide.

Back