What are the little demons of the veggie world ?

RasberryRed

Hey my veggies and vegans.

I was just pondering what are the little demons that get at us leafy eaters ? I have been a veggie for almost 10 years and I have always struggled with my weight. I know my diet is balanced, and I'm not too fond of sweets, so my conclusion is that my food portions are incorrect and despite my feelings on the subject I'm not active enough. I have been cutting back the carbs, whole wheat pasta etc - but I wanted to see if any of you have thoughts on other little veg evils that might be running amuk with my body.

Happy to be in the company of other veggies. ;D

For me its houmous, I got a pot in yesterday and had about half of it on rye bread with sunflower seeds. Mmmmm. However, for the first time ever I looked at the nutritional info on the back and its 20 odd flippin' grammes of fat per 100g. Blimey, no wonder I pile on the pounds when I eat a lot of it.

Apart from being vegan and arranging my food intake more or less to a Slimming World plan, I eat just about every thing.

What's FWDGF? Gluten free possibly and something else?

Oh hummus!!!! I do love it so. I can make it, and I find that my version has way way way less oil and fat and therefore doesn't make me want to eat it by the bucket full. :D FWDGF is French Women Don't Get Fat - ie portion control.

Ah ha, I had heard of that book. Thanks. As for houmous (my spelling is my very very own and I like it :) ) I too can make it but my version isn't as nice as the supermarket variety, to my mind anyway.

I see your weight loss has started - brilliant!

I don't know, I mean, I would imagine, not to think about them at all gives them power over us - as we underestimate their influence over our bodies. By acknowledging the true calorific weight of some of these foods we can therefore change our approach to them in ways which will benefit our eating plan. For example, when I started cooking I had no idea how many extra calories I was eating due to olive oil... a lot of people only see olive oil as good oil more healthy than butter, it has many health benefits - however pouring it straight into the pan with no measurements can automatically bump your meal up by 300 calories easy! It's not really about demonizing food as so much recognizing the ones which are a bit sneaky about their true calorie values.

Last edited:
Another bread lover here! Crisps are my downfall too. Can easily chomp through a big 'share size' bag by myself.

Definitely humous for me too! I can easily chomp my way through a whole pot without even noticing. I also find cheese to be a bit of a nightmare for the diet, I have to not have it in the house, because if it's in the house, most of it is in my stomach before I've even noticed opening the fridge door!

I make myself weigh my cheese, keeps me from eating the whole wedge when I know there is a zillion calories in 50 gr. :D I dont know what I would do without cheese..

I've been vegetarian for 3 1/2 years and I'm 6 stone heavier then I should be, it's definatly portion control with me, when my dietition told me what size a normal portion was, I was definatly shocked lol I think bread has a big effect on me, trying to cut way down! I was also a chocoholic, not doing to bad at the mo and Kettle chips, the Vegan ones, they are soooo nice!! Damn you Kettle chips! lol

I think for veggies is always portion control..sigh... i do love my bread and cheese

A Veggie for life?? Wow that's wonderful!

Bread again, and anything baked like biscuits, cookies, most crackers, then pasta, then a long way behind because of portion control come rice, beans, etc...

Bread I no longer keep in the house, end of, if I want some I walk and buy one roll or bagel. Pasta I don't keep in any more either, I'll keep thinking about it and end up pushing veggies out so I can have it.

Everything else is just about portion control, but bread and baked products are like my Kryptonite, just can't have them in the house without wanting to keep having more, pushing out other foods for them, and I end up overeating across the board. :rolleyes:

Bread, just love toast, with butter, it's my big downfall.

There are so many, and we can overeat whatever we fancy and gain weight. The key is portion control but some foods are more addictive than others. I find that if I start eating bread or anything with sugar in it, I'll overeat, but if I eat mainly unprocessed foods I feel satisfied. I try and get enough nutrients so my body doesn't crave more food. I believe dairy clogs up the system so avoid that. I think a certain amount of fat is good for us, not too much though. I love houmous and can still lose weight eating a fair amount as long as it's not got sugar in or I'm not eating any other fat sources. Home made houmous if the healthiest and cheapests.

Back