What are we eating today?

Iv just introduced exercise into ' the new me ' plan and im finding with all the protein im eating ive just got bags of energy, which has puzzled me as i had previously thought that carbs was responsible for that???

Iv just introduced exercise into ' the new me ' plan and im finding with all the protein im eating ive just got bags of energy, which has puzzled me as i had previously thought that carbs was responsible for that???

Your body burns off fat, carbs and protein...glycogen first, then fat and then when fatigued it can draw on protein (your muscles)...but as we are consuming extra protein, it uses this and doesn't have to draw on muscle mass, so with exercise, you will actually find your lean mass increasing as a result of the extra protein you are feeding your body, or so the theory goes, I am not sure of the specifics scientifically, it is acutally quite complex, but this is it simply put...I know for races and long endurance runs like marathons, then you have to top up your glycogen stores (carbs) a bit more as you don't want to start using your own muscle as fuel, although it will draw on the fat cells first I presume...maybe someone else might be able to fill in the gaps...

I should know the answer to this one, I'll have to go off and find it.

I'm going to have chicken fricassee tonight with asparagus and baby corn. I had broccoli and blue cheese soup for lunch which was soo smelly but tasted sooo good. Been suffering a bit of a headache all day but I have been told this is one of the signs of going into ketosis, fingers crossed it will be gone tomorrow. Xx

Oooh let's hope it is ketosis, welcome to the world of smelly breath and stinky pee.. :D

hi jim
oh not far from me, I am in parr.
right what i need to know if chicken thigh points small ones with grizzle fat taken off etc.
thanks
diane

That'll be no carbs Diane, and even better if you leave the fat on. :D

I haven't been to St Helens for over 20 Years Diane, I bet it has changed a lot.

Stinky pee???!! No one told me about that! Bad breath I was aware of but not stinky pee! Xx

So has anyone found a remedy for the breath yet, I have to sit next to people at Uni and am getting rather self concious about my meat breath! :D

endlessly chewing sugar free gum, washing my armpits 10 times a day. Still it was worth it. :D

Good Morning.

B: 2 x poached eggs on brown wholemeal toast.

L: I'll be off to the Café as usual.

D: Going out with work tonight, it's a Tandoori so I'll be OK if I stick to meat dishes and avoid the rice.

Woo Hoo, I am in ketosis! Woke up with dog breath, no headache, no sick feeling, no hunger & yellow pee!! Never though I could be so happy too stink!
I have Go Lower breakfast clusters with single cream and strawberries for breakfast, its so rich I am going to swap it for scrambled eggs sometimes and save it for pudding (just for a treat).
I'm having Broccoli & blue cheese soup again for lunch, its so good! Havn't decided tea yet, going to see what I fancy later on. Xx

Woo Hoo, I am in ketosis! Woke up with dog breath, no headache, no sick feeling, no hunger & yellow pee!! Never though I could be so happy too stink!

:8855: :8855:

Well done there darling.

ketosis will be your new best friend, hun, your happy friend.

ketosis rocks!!!!!!

Well done.

Woof X

Oh man the days of manky breath...yeah...my beau still comments as I slip in and out of it even now (training at the gym and depleting glycogen stores quickly) when my breath gets bad...

Jim any luck on the glycogen, protein, fat thing? Although I think I kind of explained it in a roundabout way. For short bouts of exercise high protein diets are perfect, it is just when you swing onto endurance (an hour or more at higher intensities, or even low intensity over a longer time) then you need the extra carbs to stop muscle fatigue. I think also that the glycogen stores help with muscle hydration somewhere along the line so less water needs to be consumed by higher carb diets, whereas higher protein requires more water as the kidney needs it to work efficiently. Oh it's getting all bitty and complex.

I found that I could exercise normally (an hour at the gym per day and then some) on a high protein diet just fine. And you are right about the energy levels, the carbo slumping is not there, so you have a constant energy level, rather than one that goes up and then crashes Jules75...

Oh and today I have eaten my muesli egg combo for brekkie and I have just two other meals lined up as I am racing today and don't want that bloaty feeling pre or post race. Lunch is chicken breast with all the leftover veges and the last of the carrot and coriander soup and some cheese for extra flavour. Din dins will be fish with fennel and brown rice. Have also nearly consumed my two protein carbo shakes for snacks.

Keep it up all those in ketosis and losing!!!

I didn't find anything that explained it clearer than you did nex.

No worries, I get into a tizz trying to explain things and half the time it sounds like gibberish to me Jim! Phew!

Anyway just thought of something else...does anyone else take probiotics like acidophilus with pectin? I found that I need some help when consuming higher protein...talk about windy/gaseous/bloaty...but with these it eases (or seems to) those symptoms...

talk about windy/gaseous/bloaty.

Being a bloke that was never a problem for me, just release it and smile ;)

I had 3 egg omelette for breakfast, with two handfuls of chopped mushrooms. Five slices of roast beef with giant water cress and a blob of mayo for lunch. Tea will probably be a couple of chicken breasts fried with green peppers. Also, so far, 2 decaf coffees, 2 green teas, 2 decaf earl greys.

Back