B: One sausage, 2 slices of bacon and a fried egg
S: Piece of shortbread!
L: Mackerel salad
S: 4 quality street!
D: Packet of pork scratchings and a peperami
W: Plenty
E: About 2 miles walk
A: None

So hard not to eat sweets when there's sooo many lying around the office!

Godamn right shortbread! The really buttery, sweet and salty kind! Deeeeelisssshhhh

Damn you're lucky. I know you can get it all year round but it only really seems to get popular here around Christmas time. At least round my way. I wonder why everyone associates it with xmas?

Actually, just read up on shortbread on wikipedia!:

Shortbread is a classic Scottish dessert that consists of three basic ingredients: flour, sugar, and butter. This dessert resulted from medieval biscuit bread, which was a twice baked, enriched bread roll dusted with sugar and spices and hardened into a soft and sweetened biscuit called a Rusk. Eventually, yeast from the original Rusk recipe was replaced by butter, which was becoming more of a staple in the British Isles. Despite the fact that shortbread was prepared during much of the 12th century, the refinement of shortbread was actually accredited to Mary, Queen of Scots, in the 16th century. The name of one of the most famous and most traditional forms of shortbread, petticoat tails, were named by Queen Mary. This type of shortbread was baked, cut into triangular wedges, flavored with caraway seeds. Shortbread was expensive and reserved as a luxury for special occasions such as Christmas, Hogmanay (Scottish New Year’s Eve), and weddings. In Shetland, it is traditional to break a decorated shortbread cake over the head of a new bride on the entrance of her new house

interesting stuff! Don't know if I fancy being a Scottish bride tho! Enjoy that one! :)

Crikey that's amazing!

My gran always cut it into triangles - and then sprinkled sugar on top.

But she made it all year round - it was sherry trifle that came out at Christmas lol

Michael do you not find the Quality Street sickly sweet now? I can't imagine them being nice now, although a few months ago I would have wrestled a T Rex to get at the caramel ones! ;) I COULD go a bit of shortbread though. Certain it could be made with ground almonds and splenda. If only we had an almond baking expert handy. Preferably a proper Scottish one for extra authenticity. Ahem! Anyone? You at the back? Anyone called Flutter? :D

B - fried egg
L - chicken salad with caesar dressing
D - the pie! What I love about the pie is that it's soooo fatty that it just sits in your belly like a big lump of lead for hours, and totally puts all thoughts of eating out of your head. This has to be a good thing.
S - effing millions, where do I start? 3 slices corned beef, 10 brazils, 2 diabetic choc thornton's bars, 1 MiM with pate, and a partridge in a pear treeeeee!
W - lots, mainly peppermint tea today
E - 0 - chickened out of running with club - too cold and pavements slippy
A - never touch the stuff. Sorry, I mean it's a work night so sadly no. :)

Last edited:
Just made cream of celery soup for work this week. Whole Knorr simply stock pouch 0.5c, loads of celery - 3 or 4c - salt, pepper, herbs, then 50ml cream to finish was 1.5. It'll do me 3 big bowls at about 2c per bowl, and is totally yummy! Might have toasted MiM and butter along with it.

Didn't miss the spring onions I put in last time, which added a LOT of carbs.

Just made a pan of this - used a knorr stock pot and water instead of the sachet but still tastes great - cheers for the recipe, also made some almond muffins and some burgers for dinner tomorrow. Missus now on washing up duty lol

Yay! I made a good thing! :D

i had shortbread for guests the other day, managed to not even look at it! however, i did have 2 hero's at work the other day, oh my goodness how sweet where they!

Michael do you not find the Quality Street sickly sweet now? I can't imagine them being nice now, although a few months ago I would have wrestled a T Rex to get at the caramel ones!

I've always had a really sweet tooth. I know what you mean though, they did taste really sweet. I would have liked a couple more but couldn't really imagine having any more than that. In the olden days I would have nailed about 10 in one go.

Haha yeah the caramel ones are yummy!

i had shortbread for guests the other day, managed to not even look at it! however, i did have 2 hero's at work the other day, oh my goodness how sweet where they!

Congrats on your awesome willpower! It's kind of nice isn't it, being satisfied off just a couple of sweets, rather than half a kilo of choc. Heros are lush tho. Caramels and maltesers rule!

I'll probably get kicked off this board with all this heresy!

Back