What are you doing to prepare for maintenance?

wow..what a great thread with some great input.

Very interesting...

Alex

i dont much like calorie counting either - i find it all too easy to become all - consumed by it, and i feel like an extremely boring person. what i am doing is building up a portfolio of recipes that i love which contain around 500 cals each or thereabouts - lunch and dinner mainly (coz i tend to eat porridge every day for brekkie.) that way when i come to maintenence i know i have enough variety to get me through - and i know that the recipes are things i enjoy. it also means i wont have to calorie count again, coz i've already done it. plus, that way i can have a snack or two (i tend to have seeds or fruit) everyday as well.

i dont much like calorie counting either - i find it all too easy to become all - consumed by it, and i feel like an extremely boring person. what i am doing is building up a portfolio of recipes that i love which contain around 500 cals each or thereabouts .

I like to think that's what most Calorie counters do.

After all, most people have a similar breakfast, or a few breakfasts that they chose from. Same for lunch.

Dinner can be very different, but again, there's usually a stock to draw from.

I had loads of pre counted plans that I worked out previously, and just picked a meal plan.

If I wanted something different, then I worked it out separately, but when I calorie counted, most days it would only take a minute or two a day to add it all up.

I think carb counting is probably the same Rhuba. I have built up quite a variety of legal recipe's now.

well I just think about what I was eating before and overeating too, I used to have about 3 sandwiches for lunch, having seconds for dinner and having a few cakes and chocolate, although some of it wasnt everyday, I was living at my grandmothers house, although I have been on a diet my weight would have gone down anyway because the temptation is gone, and I have a pre natural weight which isnt overweight and thats off a diet, I used to have puddings everyday and a few chocolate bars most days, at my natural weight, so I've cut this down and my weight is now lower, so it looks like I'm going to have to control the puddings if I want to stay at this weight.

I love this thread and the thought behind it but am almost ashamed to admit what I'm doing...

Presumably obsessing is what I'm doing. To sound less off my head let me explain. Not only am I the OCD sort but if I don't read/understand and learn everything there is to be read and understood about a certain topic I never feel like I've done it properly.

So as a result, I've known before the diet, before Cambridge and even before the calories counting I did for a few months before Cambridge that to defeat my impatient nature and satisfy my obsessive side this would require oodles of research. Last year in August when I decided to do something about myself -cigarettes and body alike- I knew I had to learn about the best diet for me and evaluated them all. I've started with the calorie counting and exercising because I thought I could first asses the rate at which I lose that way. It was good but not sustainable or fast enough for my weight so I have decided to give Cambridge a go after formulating a plan for an entire year, complete with medical exams and ideas for maintenance and lifestyle changes.

That's just a bit of "why" I am so obsessed with maintenance today, 39 kilos away from goal, because in essence, it is "only" 4-6 months away and I have so much to learn! I want to understand metabolic principles, read the latest research and gather what each nutrient and vitamin will do to my body. So it's not that soon for me to start assessing every life/weight management plan I can think of. Which also answers the question in this thread. Once I'm informed enough, I'm deciding how I'll live for the rest of my life and find this extremely exciting!

Reactions: KD
Presumably obsessing is what I'm doing.

I'm all for obsessing :D

To sound less off my head let me explain. Not only am I the OCD sort but if I don't read/understand and learn everything there is to be read and understood about a certain topic I never feel like I've done it properly.
Totally agree :clap:

Once I'm informed enough, I'm deciding how I'll live for the rest of my life and find this extremely exciting!
What a great post! And very much my line of thinking a few months before I got to goal.

IMO we need to get past learning from our past experience to challenging it.

For example

Learning from past experience: My past experience tells me I cannot have just one biscuit from a packet, so I better not buy any biscuits.

Challenging what I've learnt: So why couldn't I have just one? What's going on there? Can I train myself to have just one? Would that be kinder to myself and still help me maintain? Research...research :D

Example 2

Learning from past experience: Whenever I come off a diet, I put on weight. So don't come off it. Just increase calories a little and stay in diet mindset.

Challenging what I've learnt: So why did I put the weight on when I came off the diet? Can I work out a way to be diet free? What is driving me to eat, and can some foods help me control that better? What's going on?

This time I challenged myself much harder, and it's been well worth the effort. A long with it I've learnt so much that will take me along this journey without feeling deprived or in constant fear of gaining the weight :clap:

*Blush* thank you so much KD. I know you get this all the time but you are truly my hero. An obssesser after my own heart ;)

I'm in absolute admiration for how you have approached this and suspect it is indeed where the key for success lies, your ability to analyze every destructive behaviour in detail. I'm not yet there, too self-indulgent and too hedonistic. Also too soon for me to both take in info like a sponge and attempt to deal with food issues when it's all very very theoretic since no solid food has passed my lips in 11 weeks :) In other words I wish I did more of the head-work but I am doing the info work and the behaviour work for now.

Thank God for this forum is all I can say because heaven knows the "obsession" and my pesky insatiable scientific curiosity can be well tiresome to anyone! -Nothing like a highly OCD, hormonal shrink who's driven to learn more than nutritionists and envious you lost faster than her to badger a guy into "Aha! Right there! You didn't say "IF I fall off the wagon" you said "and WHEN I fall off the wagon" you'll unreduce your reduced obese in no time at this rate mister!!!":psiholog:

Great post KD.

Back