What Bacon?

jodidi

Silver Member
I dont know about you but I think bacon is expensive. For example Tesco's Healthy Living bacon is £2 but I dont think you get that much. It is very handy tho because all the fat is cut off.

1. So just wondering what bacon you all use and do you just cut the fat off it. Would this make it free?

Also we know that only XL mince is free but SW say if you cut all visible fat off your meat it would be free. So, is normal mince not free because the fat is intermingled in it.

2. So, who uses, lean or normal mince and just spoons the fat off after cooking it or rinses it so the fat rises?

Hi

We use back bacon from our local farm butchers... they stock the piggies and its really lean rashers, but I still cut the rind off.

We use Xtra lean mince and drain off every time... i can not stand mince fat...Uck!!

Phil x

Bacon I ahve so rarely, and just ahve normal and cur the rind off. I only eat extra lean steak mince, and always ahve. You still get alot of meal for your money I think.

Lynda

I use normal bacon too - easy just to cut off the rind with a pair of scissors. Also only ever use extra lean minced beef. x

I have turkey rashers instead of bacon, I like the smoked ones best, they are really nice, and I only use Quorn mince, there is absolutely no fat at all in that.

I buy normal bacon and cut off the fat. As for mince, I use extra lean beef mince but often mix it with turkey mince - turkey mince is low in fat, and cheap too - helps bulk out the meal so I don't spend loads on extra lean beef mince.

Am starting to use quorn mince too, but still tend to mix it with beef mince as I'm not vegie, and not overly keen on the quorn yet!

I buy bacon from our local butcher, it is always lean, but i stil cut off all the white fat and rind. He does xl mince too, and also if you want minced pork or turkey he will mince it for you while you wait, he is a darling !

Just to add to the thread, I read either here or on another forum that someone called SW and asked about using lean mince and then draining/rinsing off the fat. The response was that this would not make it syn free.

Just to add to the thread, I read either here or on another forum that someone called SW and asked about using lean mince and then draining/rinsing off the fat. The response was that this would not make it syn free.

Interesting, ive always every bought lean mince steak as i can't seem to get extra lean minced steak anywhere. Can't afford to buy it from the butchers :(

Tesco do EL Steak mince at £2.99 for quite alot. enough for 3 of us for spag bol anyhow. My eldest daughter is veggie, and she won't eat quorn mince. Neither will me youngest. They will both eat Realeat soya mince though so ahve this sometimes. on't think tha is syn free though.

Lynda

I think it's the healthy living mince. It says that it is under 5% fat.

As for bacon.....I buy both ordinary and medallions. Use the medallions if I need to cut the bacon up into something, or as a Hex b on a green day.

The extra trimmed bacon rashers from Aldi are great, they pretty much have all of the fat cut off.

You get 6 rashers for £1.39 and its really nice as you dont have to faff around that much with cutting the fat off.

Thanks for the replies guy! Soryy I've not replied earlier but I've been reading bk 3 in the twilight saga and I just couldn't put it down to go on here, lol!

I'm definately sticking with xl mince & I'm gonna buy some normal bacon and cut the rind off! Going to tesco in abit! It's gonna be rammed, hate it when it's busy!

Back