What? come again? how is this possible??

Simmy1978

:mad:

Ok!! so after what i thought was a good week, fruit for brekkie following ee or green plans, even some meals being success express, 4 sessions of weights (2x arms and 2x legs!!) later and i gained half a pound!!!

now i have a theory or two about what happened!!

1. my brother is insulin dependant diabetic which means i too am at risk - sooo my consultant told me that "fruit wasnt always free" and i agree because even diabetics have to eat fruit in small portions because of the natural sugars and historically, i now can see that whenever i have eaten loads of fruit, i havent had a good loss!! so i blame it on the fruit!!

2. i think i have overdone it on the weights and need to stick to just cardio!! (because of the muscle weighs more than fat theory)

3. i'm doing something seriously wrong somewhere!!!:cry::break_diet:

Do you have a food diary we can look at?
I don't think it will be the weights, muscle doesn't build up within a week, it takes a long time - you may retain a bit of fluid if it's your first week at the gym

Is it star week?

Need to know what foods you are eating really.

I blame the weights!! It's quite possible that you've gained weight in muscle doing those exercises!! You should definitely measure yourself now if you're going to continue with the training because you can betcha bottom dollar you'll be shrinking in size and toning nicely! Don't worry though, the weight will come off- it's just a pity we have to put so much emphasis on what those scales tell us!! I always think that there should be a little measuring station at the SW classes!!X

This happened to me too, I gained 1.5 pounds - I blamed it on the fruit because I don't normally eat loads, just a couple of apples & satsuma's per day but then after discovering I was eating full fat Activia's rather than fat free I am now not sure but this week I have gone back to my normal amount of fruit & exercise & will see what happens.

just to play devil's advocate (as this was a conversation we had at work last week) Muscle weighs the same amount as fat, it just takes up less space and looks better. it also takes quite a while to build up enough muscle that you start weighing MORE.
When I eat an excessive amount of fruit I get really bloated and as a result don't lose much at all-especially if I eat a lot of bananas!

how's your fluid intake?

Before we start blaming fruit, bananas, grapes, pasta, potatoes or whatever else usually gets blamed for weight gain.....

Do you weigh your healthy extras?
Do you count all syns without guessing or checking?
Do you eat lots of speed and superspeed foods?
Do you have a third superfree on EE meals?
Do you only snack on superfree?
Do you have all your HEX's and syns?
Do you vary your meals or eat the same thing each day?

So many things to do before saying it's fruit or exercise.

I agree with Jaylou that to build muscle takes a long time and some very specific exercises. You also need a specific diet to build muscle and when you are on a reducing diet it would be impossible. You will be toning the muscles though so it's all good!

Fruit, on the other hand, is something that I can't eat much of and it affects my weight if I do eat a lot of it, plus it makes me hungry.

Do you have a food diary we can look at?
I don't think it will be the weights, muscle doesn't build up within a week, it takes a long time - you may retain a bit of fluid if it's your first week at the gym

Is it star week?

Need to know what foods you are eating really.

umm no star week was last week!

i think i will start a food diary on here so anyones feed back will be appreciated

I blame the weights!! It's quite possible that you've gained weight in muscle doing those exercises!! You should definitely measure yourself now if you're going to continue with the training because you can betcha bottom dollar you'll be shrinking in size and toning nicely! Don't worry though, the weight will come off- it's just a pity we have to put so much emphasis on what those scales tell us!! I always think that there should be a little measuring station at the SW classes!!X

I agree with Jaylou that to build muscle takes a long time and some very specific exercises. You also need a specific diet to build muscle and when you are on a reducing diet it would be impossible. You will be toning the muscles though so it's all good!

Fruit, on the other hand, is something that I can't eat much of and it affects my weight if I do eat a lot of it, plus it makes me hungry.

I'm not a newbie to working out in the gym but i recently switched over to weights by reccommendation by personal trainers! :(

It really is unlikely to be the weights if this is your first week.

im worried the same thing is about to happen to me WI, especially after reading what you've been doing! I'm the same about the fruit, but ive been doing 6 out of 7 days cardio or yoga, and no chance of being diabetic!x

It's definitely NOT the weights. Women don't produce anywhere near enough testoterone (sp) to put on an excessive amount of muscle. Female figure competitors eat a very specific protein and supplement rich diet.

If the gain is a result of the weights then you'd need to get it checked out cuz you're producing an incredibly excessive amount of testosterone.

There is probably a much more plausible explanation.
Jaylou seems to be the font of all SW knowledge and makes some brilliant points in her posts on this thread.

I wouldn't stop the weights if I were you, they aren't responsible for the gain, muscle burns more calories and a trim toned bod looks beautiful

Surely building muscle and getting fitter is better in the long run?? Building muscle surely means your metabolism is working better and you will burn more calories anyway?? I wouldn't give up exercise just to get faster results as I personally think exercise is very important to overall health. :)

It's definitely NOT the weights. Women don't produce anywhere near enough testoterone (sp) to put on an excessive amount of muscle. Female figure competitors eat a very specific protein and supplement rich diet.

If the gain is a result of the weights then you'd need to get it checked out cuz you're producing an incredibly excessive amount of testosterone.

There is probably a much more plausible explanation.
Jaylou seems to be the font of all SW knowledge and makes some brilliant points in her posts on this thread.

I wouldn't stop the weights if I were you, they aren't responsible for the gain, muscle burns more calories and a trim toned bod looks beautiful

:clap:

Exactly, couldn't have said it better myself. I really wish we could debunk this myth but it always comes up.

:clap:

Exactly, couldn't have said it better myself. I really wish we could debunk this myth but it always comes up.

Thanks Circes, glad someone agrees with me! lol

If I ever find the person that created the whole 'muscle weighs more than fat' brew haha then they're getting a major peice of my mind! :p

The most important thing is that Simmy gets to the bottom of the VERY small gain!

Ah, but...

Exercising does cause water retention (and therefore, a small amount of temporary weight gain), particularly if you're not used to exercising. It is the body's way of allowing the muscles to recover after exercising and provides a means for the body to flush away lactic acid.

So it's likely that once your muscles have recovered from the shock, you'll pee that extra half pound away in no time (and probably more with it). :) It'll be water you've gained, not fat. Remember, weighing scales are a very crude form of measuring device. All they know is whether you're a bit heavier or a bit lighter - they don't know why you're heavier or lighter. :)

i'm so glad to hear you guys dont think its the weight as i love exercising and gymming it! plus i want to the 5k race for life many of you are also doing! it will be my 3rd time round but i have never felt to unfit! :(

Thanks Circes, glad someone agrees with me! lol

If I ever find the person that created the whole 'muscle weighs more than fat' brew haha then they're getting a major peice of my mind! :p

The most important thing is that Simmy gets to the bottom of the VERY small gain!

aawww fanks!!!:p i think i am going back to good ol' red and green days and prolly pester jaylou seen as she is at target so i am sure she has seen all the ups and downs that got her to target! :flirt2:

Ha, seen lots of ups and downs since being at target too!! It's been a 3 year struggle but I manage it. I'll help any way I can :) x

Back