What could I be intolerant to?

Tinytootz

Mini crazy cat lady
Hey. I have been looking on the internet, and I am still non the wiser! For months now, its been clear that there is something that my tummy doesn't like, as it swells up like nothing on earth, and I end up with amazing gas :eek:
We first thought it was potatoes (I say we, me and the OH are trying to work it out) as I got really uncomfortable after a jacket potato with cheese and beans, but I *think* we have pretty much ruled out potatoes.
I suspect it is wheat/gluten/flour, but it seems to be selective! I am ok with white pasta and wholemeal bread products, but white bread can leave me in agony, but not every single time. I swelled up quite badly at my parents on Sunday evening, and I had: Baked potato, carrots, roast chicken, a sausage, a mini yorkshire and gravy. But the amount of gravy and yorkshire (if it is wheat/gluten/flour) I ate REALLY didn't equate to the amount I swelled up IYKWIM.
Last night I made a loaf using white bread. I had a slice or two, and yup, I swelled up and was very gassy, but not as bad as Sunday.
Could it be that I am intolerant to wheat/gluten/flour, but when it is in its white form, I get affected with a smaller amount than in wholemeal form? Or could it be something else totally, seeing as it doesn't seem to follow a certain pattern? I've started drinking green tea in an attempt to settle things, and make sure I drink enough water, and although it is by no means a serious intolerance, its quite embarrassing.
I will go to the doctor over it, but have found that if you have an idea of what it might be before you go, the doctor can be more helpful.

Any help, or advice, or pointing me in the right direction would be amazing!

Hi I used to be like that too I've not put my finger in it but def a problem with white bread I'm not do bad on granary also u mention gravy I am also this bad if not worse on one brands of instant gravy I think it might be MSG ?? I also used to come out in hives but could never link it to one thing only about 4 different additives and bread since I've been doing cwp I've not had any symptoms but will be interesting to see what happens when I reintroduce did food. York texting is supposed to be good for isolating intolerances and allergies. Good luck hope u figure it out soon xx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

What are you putting on the bread? Have you considered it could be dairy? X

Have you tried doing a food diary, including what you drink as well, and noting down whether you are bloated or not & whether you 'go' or not.

I often have spells of being bloated & can't put my finger on it. I've been doing a food & drink diary for just over a week now, I'm still non the wiser.

But doesn't it take a few hours (4 rings a bell) for food to reach your stomach, so it could be anything you're eating. I would look at a 24 hour timescale rather than what you eat just before bloating, if that makes sense.

Sorry I've not answered your question, but I hope I've helped a little.;)

Sounds to me like Irritable Bowel Syndrome and that can be caused by your monthly cycle, emotional state, food, food combinations etc etc.

Bloat is also caused by indigested fibre being pushed into the bowel where it ferments and causes gas.
This can be made worse by drinking too much during a meal (washing enzymes from the stomach) eating too quickly (the smell of food activates the enzymes, the saliva produced by chewing is also an enzyme,) so try not drinking before during or for 20 mins after eating, chew slowly and take your time.
Bloat can also be caused by swallowing air, including the air trapped in carbonated drinks.

Food intolerance (true food intolerance) is actually rarer than is made out, not my opinion but the opinion of the Gastroenterologist I saw.

Does sound like IBS rather an an intolerance, my dad has a beetroot intolerance, he only has to have the slightest thing with beetroot extract in and it makes him ill (for example mum got him a chocolate with a tiny pink heart on the top and he didnt notice it had beetroot red colouring in it, made him ill for a few hours) We have to check everything for even beetroot red food colourant, anything beetroot sets it off. If yours was a food intolerance you would find the same ingredient in everything that set it off. whereas you can eat white flour in pasta but not bread which is the same stuff. So unless there is an ingredient that occurs each time you get the symptoms rather than it just occuring whenever it feels like I would say IBS is more likely.

I thought it was too inconsistent to be an intolerance, and it is sometimes almost instant. I say almost, we are talking like about an hour, but in terms of the digestive system, kinda instant :)
I can be a bit funny with dairy products - ok in very small doses, but ice-cream or a drink of milk, for example, can either give me a smashing headache, or make me really quite ill in the smallest room in the house.
Going to cut back on bread etc for a while anyway, see if it helps any, then get an appointment for seeing about IBS. Least then I might be able to get some help towards it. My ex had IBS, but was a stubborn male and refused to take the 'sprinkles' the Dr gave him. His problem wasn't bloat, it was er......the other :eek: Maybe it was because he was such a big A$$hole :giggle:

Anyway, I digress. Thanks for your pointers x

I have IBS and if I eat a burger at home I have to dash to the loo within 20 mins and it normally lasts for a few hours with severe tummy cramps (funny but I'm ok with McDs).
My son can't drink the milkshakes at McDs as he has to run to the loo! That started when he was three. I used to be bad after eating veg but now I have it daily I'm ok!

I have IBS and if I eat a burger at home I have to dash to the loo within 20 mins and it normally lasts for a few hours with severe tummy cramps (funny but I'm ok with McDs).
My son can't drink the milkshakes at McDs as he has to run to the loo! That started when he was three. I used to be bad after eating veg but now I have it daily I'm ok!

My dads like that with beetroot, but it makes him REALLY ill though, it will start with a dash to the loo, then he will end up vomiting, comes out in a complete rash, goes itchy. And thats by just a hint of beetroot red food colouring. One time, before we figured it was beetroot, he'd eaten something and ended up passing out whilst in our tiny bathroom, ended up ringing 999 cos we couldn't bring him round.

Ally89 said:
My dads like that with beetroot, but it makes him REALLY ill though, it will start with a dash to the loo, then he will end up vomiting, comes out in a complete rash, goes itchy. And thats by just a hint of beetroot red food colouring. One time, before we figured it was beetroot, he'd eaten something and ended up passing out whilst in our tiny bathroom, ended up ringing 999 cos we couldn't bring him round.

Gosh! I must admit I haven't had an attack for months but when I'm bad... I can't even move cos it brings on another dash to the loo!

I was tested for Coeliac disease because i have 3types of anaemia, and though the Gastro was sure I had it, it turns out I don't thank goodness!

Is your dad intolerant or allergic? Because it sounds more like an allergy?

My brother can't have Saccharine or he gets an asthma attack lasting days!

I'm pretty sure it's IBS and not an intolerance.

I have IBS and a dairy intolerance and only knowing I have both now helps me easily define the symptoms x

My gp fobbed me off with loads of things in the first few attempts then finally acknowledged that it was IBS and a dairy intolerance.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Last edited:
personally I'd say get referred by your doctor to a dietician. honestly, don't self diagnose as it's dangerous.
and most gps jump to IBS as a way of officially shrugging and saying "I dunno", push for referral.

From an IBS sufferer who also happens to be lactose and mildly gluten intollerant.... but who has had medical diagnoses for both.

Gosh! I must admit I haven't had an attack for months but when I'm bad... I can't even move cos it brings on another dash to the loo!

I was tested for Coeliac disease because i have 3types of anaemia, and though the Gastro was sure I had it, it turns out I don't thank goodness!

Is your dad intolerant or allergic? Because it sounds more like an allergy?

My brother can't have Saccharine or he gets an asthma attack lasting days!

Doctor told him it was an intolerance not an allergy. But then again he barely believed us when we said a tiny amount made him run for the nearest toilet. He pretty much laughed when we told him the only common factor was beetroot, to wish he said it was an intolerance.

Ally89 said:
Doctor told him it was an intolerance not an allergy. But then again he barely believed us when we said a tiny amount made him run for the nearest toilet. He pretty much laughed when we told him the only common factor was beetroot, to wish he said it was an intolerance.

If he's collapsing then it's a serious allergy!

technically an allergy denotes an immune system response, unless the doctor blood tested him, the doctor could not know either way lol.
intolerances can cause soe pretty horrific and scary symptoms, but unless they provoke the immune response, they are intolerances not allergies. no such thing as "just" an intolerance, yet people see them as a lesser evil. they're not. they may not kill you as quickly, but can still be harmful.

Flibsey said:
technically an allergy denotes an immune system response, unless the doctor blood tested him, the doctor could not know either way lol.
intolerances can cause soe pretty horrific and scary symptoms, but unless they provoke the immune response, they are intolerances not allergies. no such thing as "just" an intolerance, yet people see them as a lesser evil. they're not. they may not kill you as quickly, but can still be harmful.

Ok I didn't know that but something is wrong if the Dr thinks it's s laughing matter!

Doctor refused to test him, said it was an intolerance end of. So we just took it as being an intolerance. Told him to go to a different doctor. One that doesnt laugh and makes out you are lying. I just looked it up, he has more symptoms of an allergy if he has a large amount but its more like an intolerance when he's only subjected to a little.

Ok I didn't know that but something is wrong if the Dr thinks it's s laughing matter!

I know, and I was with him that time, wouldn't let him go on his own. And the doctor actually found it amusing. Even my mums doctor (at a different surgery) was more use, even offered to write to his doctor.

you need to demand a second opinion because allergies can begin as intolerances, then one day it wont just be vomitting. it will be anaphalxis and you could lose him.

allergies are insipid, they can seem mild until one day something just eplodes. perhaps the body is having an off day, perhaps there's more beetroot in something than you expected but once anaphalaxis has happened once, it can and probably will happen again.

from: someone who lives with the shadow of a former massive allergic reaction lol!!!

Back