What could I be intolerant to?

you need to demand a second opinion because allergies can begin as intolerances, then one day it wont just be vomitting. it will be anaphalxis and you could lose him.

allergies are insipid, they can seem mild until one day something just eplodes. perhaps the body is having an off day, perhaps there's more beetroot in something than you expected but once anaphalaxis has happened once, it can and probably will happen again.

from: someone who lives with the shadow of a former massive allergic reaction lol!!!

My mums GP told him to talk to my mums dietitian about it, hopefully she can do something, since his doctor is beyond useless. Even the hospital (when he got took in after passing out) though he was over exaggerating as they "have never known anyone have a beetroot intolerance before". Though they did say it could be the beetroot mixing with his medication...slightly more useful than his doctor. I'm overprotective of him now anyway since he had 2 strokes but we can't seem to get any sense out of anyone with his beetroot problem. To be honest its about as much sense as we get out of any surgeon with my mum too(3 years of her being unable to eat solid foods). Doctors. Great, aren't they.

Flibsey said:
you need to demand a second opinion because allergies can begin as intolerances, then one day it wont just be vomitting. it will be anaphalxis and you could lose him.

allergies are insipid, they can seem mild until one day something just eplodes. perhaps the body is having an off day, perhaps there's more beetroot in something than you expected but once anaphalaxis has happened once, it can and probably will happen again.

from: someone who lives with the shadow of a former massive allergic reaction lol!!!

My niece has Von Willibrands and with this comes a massive host of allergies, in fact she cannot lost everything because the next thing she has that she's had a hundred times before could trigger anaphylaxis! Shes 20 now but at school her entire year had to have training in using the Epipen!
It's weird for instance she can eat peaches but if peach skin touches her lips she goes into anaphylaxis! Bizarre!

my gp had never heard of anyone who reacted to the snot from raw tomatoes before and basically said i was overreacting. I was worried I had an allergy (turns out no, just an intolerance lol) so I left, made another appointment and took a tomato with me. I rubbed the snot on my arm and let him watch the weals appear. he sent me for testing. Nettles, wasp stings, codeine, some azo food dyes = yes allergies. tomatoes, dairy, crustacea, wheat = nope. the oddest thing was I was fine with the flesh and with tomatoes cooked!
weirdly, since I changed antidepressants I've no longer had this odd intollerance, which my (sheepish) gp thinks could be to do with the capsules my old ones were housed in. they contained two azo dyes which i am known to be allergic to, but which wern't enough to send me into anaphalixis (though had I known about the potential for anaphalaxis happening at any point, I would have probably changed sooner)... but obviously were enough to set something off because at the same time I couldn't eat crustacea either.
yeah. second opinion.

My niece has Von Willibrands and with this comes a massive host of allergies, in fact she cannot lost everything because the next thing she has that she's had a hundred times before could trigger anaphylaxis! Shes 20 now but at school her entire year had to have training in using the Epipen!
It's weird for instance she can eat peaches but if peach skin touches her lips she goes into anaphylaxis! Bizarre!

That must be difficult to deal with. It gets harder to deal with dads beetroot...we discovered ketchup has less than 0.1% of beetroot in it. It wasn't on the ingredients, but he got a VERY mild dose of "run to the bathroom".d"

tell him to keep away from and red or pinkish innocent smoothies as well. I found out (to my detriment) innocent kiwi and apple ones have netles in. not much, but enough lol.

Back