What diet are people choosing to loose a lot of weight?

Clarabow

Silver Member
Hello people,

Help needed here. Got about 8 stone plus to loose to be obese, which is a
category I would be happy with as I haven't been 12 stone since school.

I have totally confused myself now as to how to go about it. Tried the VLCD and to be fair have shifted 5 stone twice, but not kept it off.

Done all the usual calorie counting, weight watchers, slimming world and dabbled in the low carb stuff.

Any thoughts about what is working long term for people? All and any advice gratefully received.

Thank you in advance xx

Hi there :)

I have about 7 stones to lose. Not dieting, just calorie counting and changing my habits for life.

Diets don't work in isolation (I know, I've tried most of them).

Good luck to you in your journey

Last edited:
Hiya, my vote has to go to the Dukan plan of eating. It's a way of life and a sociable one so I don't feel like an outcast when I eat out. I like protein foods and so decided to follow an eating plan that consisted of the foods I like. I tried a VLCD but didn't keep the weight off and that's when I decided I had to find another plan that I could eat out with and that contained foods I like obviously. This way of eating is for life and I feel so content and happy I have found it. We are all different and I hope you find what you are looking for. Good luck, Saska

Calorie counting for me - it's sensible and flexible. Over 5.5 stone down so far, a few more to go! All the best. xx

I think diets as such don't work, its more about lifestyle change, I have tried almost every diet like many people on here and just lost a bit here and there and got fatter and fatter afterwards. The only thing that works for me is what I am doing this time which is basically no set diet plan just healthy eating with built in planned treats and for me keeping my carbs at under 150g a day and it working wonders, I eat 1500-1700 calories a day but am usually on the 1700. I have alot of weight to lose so need a plan I can keep to and this way I don't even feel like I am dieting as I am enjoying my food, the main thing is I don't bring treat food into the house that is of course my personal decision and it wouldn't suit everyone but as I'm a binge eater I can't have any trigger foods in my place hence why I have planned treats each week or every fortnight like a meal out where I can have those tasty treat foods and not feel guilty about it. I have lost 29 lbs (2 stone 1 lb) in 7 weeks through eating properly which to me hands down beats losing weight through a starvation type diet as I just love my food too much its just I am changing what I eat for meals and what I snack on. Good luck with whatever you decide to do, Em x

1978Emma...in response to your post that's basically what I am doing with some help from the Dukan plan...carb free meals and ideas from the plan. I tried calorie counting once but filled up my cals on Mars bars and kept on craving for more so that didn't work for me. I know carbs is my downfall and so just keep them to a minimum and it's working and the best thing is I'm not craving for food or wondering what and when I'm eating next. I have shed 28 lbs in just over 2 mths and I think that's right for my body. Good luck with your eating plan, Saska x

Thanks for the advice ladies. Going to go with calorie counting and cut down on the carbs and they make me go a bit bonkers with the over eating.

Sustainability and changing patterns of poor eating is what I need to focus on.

Onwards and downwards x

I love calorie counting its fabulous I've tried them all and what I love is no restrictions and you start to automatically eat smaller portions because you generally choose a smaller plate or bowl I love it I've tried most diets except vlcd altho I have considered them but they've never been financially viable for me I've lost the most weight I've ever lost while dieting doing cc and I feel like I can see the light at the end of the tunnel so to speak I've still got a fair way to go but I'll get there and I love setting up mini goals that's the key start small and work your way up to bigger goals and good luck :)

I think everyone is different really, certain weight loss plans aren't for some. I know people who tried SW and failed but found that WW worked better for them or just watching what they ate, where as I tried all those in the past and they didn't work and discovered that mainly following SW meal plans but twinking it to my own style is what has done it for me.

Good luck x

Calorie counting / healthy eating for me too. I have at least 8st to lose so i need to do something i can keep up long term.
I'm also working on eating regularly, with healthy snacks and ensuring my blood sugar doesn't dip to low. Previously I'd go most of the day not eating at all, and then feel so faint/tired I'd drink two bottles of lucozade and a multipack of chocolate just to feel awake.
I've a limit of 1640 calories a day, and I'm actually enjoying logging everything and seeing how much i can eat and stay under limits.
Lost 2lbs week one, and 3lbs this week.

I get torn between calorie counting and slimming world. Flexibility is great with calorie counting, but the portions are a pain to count and I find them a bit small. Some of the bigger loosers I have seen on here tend to be slimming world based, well that or a VLCD and I cant face one of those at the mo lol

Onwards into the unknown. Thanks for your advice ladies x

well done Saska, thats a fab weight loss so far! I have done exactly as you said in the past, whenever I did calorie counting in the past I hate to admit it but I would stick to my calorie intake but it would be made up of all unhealthy snack like treats which was crazy I know. The difference for me this time is I have done the whole lifestyle change thing and so am changing basically what I eat completely and how I eat so no more long periods of starvation each day and then a big binge now regular smaller meals throughout the day and using much healthier food options. I also like you find carbs can be my undoing as most of my binge foods from the past were packed full with carbs, I find as a veggie I struggled doing a low carb diet but am finding doing a moderate carb diet of say 120 - 150g a day works well for me and also the carbs I am getting are from better sources than before. I still have a treat meal either every week or every fortnight to keep me on track and motivated but I don't bring the treats into my place as I still don't feel I could totally trust myself yet.
Em xx

I've over 10 stone to lose and I'm going with Slimming World.

Basically I love my food and I don't want to eat tiny portions and with SW you can eat as much as you want of the RIGHT foods.

I really do recommend Slimming World, it is amazing how you can eat so much food and lose the lbs. Good luck with SW Sarah x

Thrown my hat in the ring for slimming world. Had a dabble with calorie counting bit of a malarky. Paying attention to portion sizes with slimming world and not eating for the sake of eating, so it will shift.

Making an effort to look at it as a lifestyle change and accept that the weight will be slower coming off. Was really pleased that I went to aqua aerobics yesterday, GP referral. So a start has been made.

Thanks for the advice ladies xx

I will prob upset a few people and say all the fad diets dont work in the long run ..for me it is about a lifestyle change stop eating the crap i do eat the good stuff and get of my backside and move lol ...i have 8st plus to loose and am hoping i can do it by healthy eating and daily workouts

can't argue with that mothertiggy, yeah I'm all for the lifestyle change thing, moderation so healthy eating and more exercise oh and some nice treats now and again! Em xx

Heya. I've got around 9 stones to lose now and am doing it with WW. It seems to be going well so far ... I've tried sw before and whilst I loved the foods I just found I want losing consistently with it very much. That's just me though as I've met some amazing people who've lost loads on sw. However you do it, best of luck.

Thank you for the support ladies. Struggling with the whole eating malarky at the mo. Working towards making better choices with my eating. Step forward last week was two sessions with my exercise referral scheme. Good eating pattern up until Thursday evening then lost the plot over the weekend.
Very difficult week in work this week which makes me stress eat, going to see if I can limit the damage and keep up the exercise. Holiday next week, swimming, walking relaxation and hopefully fresh healthy food.

Onwards ever onwards x

Back