What do you do with left over calories?

vanilla_cupcake

Silver Member
I've 190 calories left over, i'm on 1200 a day, do I just leave them and not eat something for the sake of it or should I eat my full 1200? I'm new to all this so haven't a clue what to do!

Thanks
V.C :)

If you're genuinely not hungry then don't eat them. You never know you may be extra hungry tomorrow or later in the weekn and want to eat them then. I like to look at calories as a weekly rather than a daily count. I find this much more flexible.

If you're genuinely not hungry then don't eat them. You never know you may be extra hungry tomorrow or later in the weekn and want to eat them then. I like to look at calories as a weekly rather than a daily count. I find this much more flexible.

Oh I didn't know we could carry them over! I was never one to carry over syns on SW so not sure if I want to do it here either, I could have a cup of tea later and a Galaxy ripple, i've never been one to turn down a bar of chocolate lol

Gosh, you're full off 1010 cals? Lol personally I don't carry them over to the next day, I see them as a daily thing, but those extra cals, id of either incorporated them into my main meal or had a curly wurly and a hot chocolate or something,

X

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

In my experience of using myfitnesspal to calorie count in the (rare) days I don't use the 1200 calories I might use them within the same week but sometimes I don't. Depends on how I'm feeling. When I've used them for the sake if it and eaten late or eaten something not healthy, I've regretted it and have had to remind myself 'not all calories are created equal'!

Anything under 200 I leave them, if it's the end of the day and i'm genuinely not hungry then I don't see the point in eating something for the sake of filling them up. I tend to view calories as cumulative, so I generally don't pay too much attention if I go over one day or under the next, so long as it's never by silly amounts and I don't start using it as an excuse to routinely "bank" calories in order to have a binge session at the end of the week then it's all good.

Really it's whatever suits. I prefer to treat each day individually in order to achieve a weekly goal, if I over/under eat a line is drawn and then the next day is new and sparkly.

Anything under 200 I leave them, if it's the end of the day and i'm genuinely not hungry then I don't see the point in eating something for the sake of filling them up. I tend to view calories as cumulative, so I generally don't pay too much attention if I go over one day or under the next, so long as it's never by silly amounts and I don't start using it as an excuse to routinely "bank" calories in order to have a binge session at the end of the week then it's all good.

Really it's whatever suits. I prefer to treat each day individually in order to achieve a weekly goal, if I over/under eat a line is drawn and then the next day is new and sparkly.

Yeah thats what i'd rather do, if I don't use them i'll loose them, I ended up using them the other night on a flake so it wasn't so bad! :)

If you're actually hungry (and not just craving something), use them on something sensible, if not just leave them.
The point of calorie counting is to limit excess, if it turns out that on the occasional day you can stay under that limit without feeling starved - all the better.

Uwe said:
If you're actually hungry (and not just craving something), use them on something sensible, if not just leave them.
The point of calorie counting is to limit excess, if it turns out that on the occasional day you can stay under that limit without feeling starved - all the better.

I've read so many times never to go below 1200 calories a day :confused:

How I think of it is, if your going below what you've set as your calorie count for the day then you end up messing up the routine if it becomes habbit, cause when you start eating the 1200 again and sometimes going over you'll screw with the weight loss x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

You body needs those 1200 calories a day to function but equally your body can happily manage on less for the odd day. As long as you dont regularly starve yourself you will still lose weight.

As long as you've eaten regular meals, and you are full and satisfied don't eat them.
If you haven't eaten for ages, for example missed dinner because you weren't hungry in that case it suggest eating them even if it's only a small bowl of porridge or something.

I don't carry calories over, my whole diet plan is focused around eating regularly and stabilising my blood suger.
Equally i don't save calories, for example if i planning a meal out I'll still have my full calorie allowance for breakfast and lunch and maybe a snack. If i was to skimpt on meals, I'd be hungrier and more likely to pig out on the bad food.

I have had a bad bad relationship with food and my object is to give me a healthy relationship with food. Nothing is banned, but i need to reaquaint myself with portion control, the feeling of being full, and appreciating takeaways and chocolate and sweets as a treat rather than what i survive on.

I've a long long way to go so need something i can stick to long term.

I've read so many times never to go below 1200 calories a day :confused:

I believe that mainly refers to the "average daily target calories" rather than the odd day here and there. :)
I think MissAmy summarized it nicely in the posting above this one.

I believe that mainly refers to the "average daily target calories" rather than the odd day here and there. :)
I think MissAmy summarized it nicely in the posting above this one.

This is interesting..and something I think about as well..Im averaging about 1100 a day..and then I usually go for a brisk walk which burns about 150 a day as well..and this is definanly more than the odd day her and there.

Back