what do you do with your butternut squash?

Fatty_no_more

Slimming for my children
Bought one for the first time but have no idea how you get into it lol and also what to do with it?

I have heard people have roasted butternut squash?
x

I roast it with chopped potatoes, carrots (cut thickly), turnips, garlic cloves, red onion chopped into wedges and sprinkled with rosemary. It tastes a bit better with oil too ;-) but that;s not really on the plan, eh!?

I cut it in half, scoop out the seeds and scrape the skin off with a potato peeler.

Butternut soup is also quite nice, quite sweet but filling.

Grate it and chop up some leeks. put in a roast dish and mix a glass of white wine, and top with 4 chicken breasts wrapped in bacon (don't forget to remove the fat) and cook for 30mins or so at 180.

the only syns are in the wine, unless we actually follow the recipe and add butter and olive oil. but if you use the wine it isn't needed. maybe a bit of fry light on the bottom of the dish.

As kylie1007 said,
cut in half, scoop out the middle, peel the skin,
Its best to make the halves as thin as possible as sometimes they can still be feel quite raw after you've baked them
spray with fry light, cook for around 25 mins.
i tend to fill the halves with flavoured couscous
Very tasty and healthy

I use it to make the chilli and butternut squash risotto on SW website, or roast it in the oven with other veggies and sprinkle with balsamic vinegar.

Hi - just a tip really - pop the squash in the oven for 5-10mins before peeling, and allow to cool - it makes it much easier to peel.

Back