What do you say?...

Lou

Silver Member
When people go on about how these meal replacement diets "can't be good for you"? And then they try and talk you out of it.:mad:

I go all defensive and try to justify to them why I'm doing it. Maybe I should just tell them to go and read up on the website so that they have all the facts before they dismiss it as a fad diet.

Just tell them that you don't dictate to them how they eat so why do they feel the need to do it to you.
At the end of the day you'll get to rub it in their face when you've lost all your weight and your bouncing about with your new found energy rather than being a nearly dead like they think you will.

To be honest most people so far are supportive and encouraging as they can see how fine I am. One friend (similar size to me) has been a bit scathing and even when I've explained it still thinks it's not good. When I told her I'd lost 8lbs she said "your luck's in this week isn't it?". I didn't say "actually, it's not luck, it's perseverance and determination to never feel as crap as i have done for the past x years again" - but next time i will!!

As for countering protests, I'd say that it's a diet supported and started by medical professionals and is proven to work.

I kind of think of it as a pretty natural process. it's safe to do as everyone doing it has enough stored calories to support only ingesting 500 cals a day (425 according to the video?) and burning off our excess. And drinking loads of water helps things like skin, kidneys other organs stay healthy. Plus, it's ridding you of the taste for food and helping to develop new eating habits when you do go on to refeed and maintain.

(hope that's all correct lol, but they are my arguments)

I explain that I had got into bad eating habits and am using it to break these habits. The weight loss is a bonus :)

I totally agree, little*red, I've got so much energy, my home has never looked so clean and tidy...or maybe O.C.D. is included in the shakes !! lol !! My Mum and brother are SOOO worried that I might fade away....(cant come soon enough) and keep telling me that at 54 I need to be careful and not go mad. But I truly feel great, just a few tummy rumbles now and again. Get over that day 7 and prove everyone wrong. Just treated myself to a lovely pale turquoise leather bag from T.K. Max.......my treat for finishing Week 1.

Most people I know too have been encouraging, but now I am losing more weight I am beginning to get the usual "oh you have gone far enough now - when are you stopping" etc etc. When I tell them that I have to come off TFR once I have lost another half stone as the Pharmacist wont allow me to continue any longer they seem fine. They dont realise the health checks that we are getting each week with blood pressure etc taken.

Well said Elle-Emm

People always tell me that what I'm doing is dangerous and unhealthy. But I explain about the nutrients and vitimans included and stuff. Some of them shut up after that, but others don't. So I just ignore them.

I know the science behind the diet, I'm losing weight, so it doesn't matter what anyone else says :D

Most people I know too have been encouraging, but now I am losing more weight I am beginning to get the usual "oh you have gone far enough now - when are you stopping" etc etc. When I tell them that I have to come off TFR once I have lost another half stone as the Pharmacist wont allow me to continue any longer they seem fine. They dont realise the health checks that we are getting each week with blood pressure etc taken.
Argh I know what you mean. I've lost half the weight that I want to and I still have more but people are telling how how I should look, how much I should weigh. What a load of bull!

People just tend to go by the face - which is the first place for the weight to disappear from - I just tell them to look a bit lower down at the belly......lol

People just tend to go by the face - which is the first place for the weight to disappear from - I just tell them to look a bit lower down at the belly......lol
LOL exactly!

Yeah, why does weight get lost faster on the face? there isn't much there :D!

My face neck and shoulders are the skinniest areas of me so far.

I tell em where to shove it! Tell them that it works for me, not only is it helping me lose weight but its helping me overcome bad eating habits. If they dont like it, tough. Clearly they know nothing about it if they are telling you that its no good for you because they obviously dont know that 1. it started by coming from a GP and 2. the shakes contain everything you need for the day.

If they still dont understand and still think its a bad idea, tough titties! :)

ignore it is best way lol

Last year i just told them they hadn't the facts and to please mind their own business. My older brother tried to force feed me convinced i was turning anorexic and wouldnt come off lipo. Really i just tell people to mind their own business cause i don't want to be listening to it.

I do cd, but have the same problem...have had 2people this week tell me not to lose anymore, even had a colleague tell me she would be keeping an eye on me! I am not in the healthy bmi range yet... but my face looks a little skinny,but I still have lots on my tummy to go

I also have a new collegue in my office and without fail she comments on me not eating sandwiches and keep trying to get me to eat fruit or to help myself to chocolates

it is trying, but you just have to ignor it. My other half is very supportive so it really helps

only on day 5 and have a my OH sister and partner coming down for a week why does social events revolve around food, how can i go out and not eat?, i would tell them i'm on lT but they wouldn't understand, and it would be around my small town like wild fire (i'm happy just me, OH and mum knowing)....i dont want to pretend to be ill but cant think of another excuse ?!lol xx

i have had a few anorexia comments this week. I have been ill and going to refeed as my immunity is shot to pieces - but what pees me off is that people think i am refeeding cos of their comments! I have just about hit a healthy BMI! How can i be anorexic? There are 7 points of BMI for me to descend through to get to that stage! And i never will!

And if anyone dares comment on my refeed portions i will kick them into touch!

The comments I've had have been 50% from people who are probably a little jealous because I've found a diet that works for me and the other 50% are just totally clueless and have no idea what it is I'm doing and therefore assume that I must be damaging myself.

I haven't got to the stage where people are saying I've gone too far and/or trying to feed me. I think by then, I'll be so chuffed at what I've achieved I won't give a stuff what they think or say ;)

Me too LOU....god i'll do cartwheels if someone tells me i'm too slim!! lolxx

I just say that it's a damn site better for me to total food replace for a few weeks than being overweight for the rest of my life could possibly be.

Alex

Back