What do you use your syns for? EE

Nichola

I've been doing sw for 2 weeks on Wednesday and have found it really really easy to stick to! I didn't lose first week, but feel positive that this week will be better! The only thing I am struggling with is using up my syns? I haven't been using my syns during cooking meals at all, and have been snacking on fruit throughout the day so come the end of the day I find I've used 2-5 syns so find myself eating chocolate just for the sake of making sure I have my syns! This feels counteractive as I've not 'needed' the chocolate so feels like I'm going backwards just to please my consultant who wants me to have 10 syns a day.

What should I do? Not eat the chocolate and use only 2-5 syns or eat the chocolate? Surely I will see better results not eating it? (I was a massive chocoholic before so it's nice to not be craving it after a day of work!)

i usually use my syns on chocolate at thr end of the day.

you wont loose better by skipping syns, however it seems sillly to eat them for the sake of it (i always want my chocolate on an evening)

could you try eating your syns during the day, use some for your meals or have a small bit of choc or some crisps with lunch.

you could also use syns on things like nuts if you'd feel better doing that. its completely up to you.

Like Donna, I would suggest trying to build the syns into your daily menu rather than filling up at night just because you haven't eaten them. It can be difficult though, I sometimes realise near the end of the day that I've barely had any but my consultant also suggests that I try and get about 10 each day.

Without realising having that chocolate will keep you on track and you won't feel deprived. Many people say they do better on weeks when they use all there syns than hardly any, so maybe they are there for a reason. It will probably keep your body used to them few extra calories that are need for a balanced diet. Imagine not having them at all for 6 months or so and then introducing syned food your body would probably turn it in to fat straight away.

Without realising having that chocolate will keep you on track and you won't feel deprived. Many people say they do better on weeks when they use all there syns than hardly any, so maybe they are there for a reason. It will probably keep your body used to them few extra calories that are need for a balanced diet. Imagine not having them at all for 6 months or so and then introducing syned food your body would probably turn it in to fat straight away.

My sister did this, she was struggling to use her syns but decided that she better try and incorporate them into her daily diet otherwise her body may not take to kindly to the 'naughty' foods being re-introduced later.

I tend to use mine as a bit of butter on my bread or a few sweets occasionally. I tend to 'save' mine up and have them on a weekend for booze and cake!

I don't usually have many syns per day. If I have any its a couple in food. I generally don't have treats. If I fancy some chocolate I tend to have a cadburys highlights for 2 syns.

Mine tend to go on a malibu, things like ketchup, sweet chilli sauce etc with meals, occasionally a bit of butter, if I'm in the mood a biccy with my cuppa and very occasionally a choccy bar. I count my syns weekly and find that at the weekend I use loads and during the week I don't have as many. I still lose weight this way but know it doesn't work for everyone x

So many ways to add syns into things....use cream in cooking , or olive oil -both high in syns and yummy for cooking.

Use full fat cheese, butter etc- little tweaks make a large difference in syns. A glass of orange juice perhaps?

You could even just use a few up by adding mayo to tuna? Or have your healthy b as bread some days and use spread on sandwiches or toast? That's what I'm doing. Good that your choccy cravings have gone though ;)

I was using all 15 every day when I started and was hardly loosing. Then I cut them down to 5-8 a day and now i lose a lot - looking back at my meal plans, my food hasn't changed much at all! I'm on green. I think my daily calories are higher than someone on red/EE as lean meat is super low in calories, whereas stuff I eat (a lot of carbs) is quite high...even though i lose every week, cutting back my syns seems to have helped. Obviously this won't work for everyone but I've found it has for me :) And its made me feel a bit more in control as having all of those syns just made me eat for the sake of it.

I think if you're struggling to use your syns the best place to start would be the Healthy Extra list, more calcium / fiber in your diet helps your weight loss. It's a nice problem to have - got to love Slimming World!

I couldn't get through the day with out syns - sweet chilli sauce, couldn't have a sunday lunch without gravey. Choclate, mayo, salad cream, tom sauce, crisp, low fat cottage cheese rather than fat free (yuk!).

A good new one aswell is the Special K crisp crackers. 5 syns for 21 crisps .... Nice!!

Back