What foods have you discovered?

Trixicle

The 'What foods do you miss?' thread gave me the idea!

Since being on SW I have discovered how easy it is to spice up a plain salad with balsamic vinegar and herbs, and also the Linda McCartney rosemary and red onion sausages! Yum!

What tasty foods have you discovered since doing SW?

I've really rediscovered my love for clementines.

Agree about the Linda sausages, they are lush!

Oranges!

I go to a local asian shop & try new things and I go on yummly.com for recipes, I've discovered I have a liking for mungbeans they are so versatile, cheap and delicious.

Beef heart (comes in thin slices from tesco, like liver). Was dubious at first, but really low in fat (much lower fat % than the leanest stewing steak) and really cheap (approx £3 per kg). Really lush cooked in slow cooker all day and the whole family love it :-D

I agree about balsamic vinegar! I would highly reccommend splashing out on a really good one - it is worth every penny as it tastes like a really rich salad dressing.

My other huge surprise was kale roasted in the oven - it is delicious and barely tastes like a vegetable at all!

Ooh, I like the sound of the roasted kale. How do you stop it from drying out/burning? Do you cook it in stock or spray it with fry light?

Ooh, I like the sound of the roasted kale. How do you stop it from drying out/burning? Do you cook it in stock or spray it with fry light?
It's really easy! You can use Frylight and it works fine, but I prefer to use a bit of olive oil and syn it. If you Google "kale chips" you will find hundreds of variations, but this is what I do:

Put a bunch of kale in a large bowl and drizzle with half a tbsp of olive oil (3 syns). Sprinkle with sea salt and any other seasoning (I often use cayenne or paprika). Toss well. Spread out on a baking sheet and put in the oven at Gas mark 4/5 for about ten to fifteen minutes, tossing again half way through.

Timings will depend on your oven, so keep an eye on it. It is totally moreish!

Butter Buds, someone mentioned them in group... You get them from lakeland (though I got them on ebay, lol). 1 sachet is half a syn, sprinkled on jacket potato it's lovely! I would imagine it's also good in mash and you can also add a little water and use it as a kind of buttery sauce/melted butter.

It's really easy! You can use Frylight and it works fine, but I prefer to use a bit of olive oil and syn it. If you Google "kale chips" you will find hundreds of variations, but this is what I do:

Put a bunch of kale in a large bowl and drizzle with half a tbsp of olive oil (3 syns). Sprinkle with sea salt and any other seasoning (I often use cayenne or paprika). Toss well. Spread out on a baking sheet and put in the oven at Gas mark 4/5 for about ten to fifteen minutes, tossing again half way through.

Timings will depend on your oven, so keep an eye on it. It is totally moreish!

Definitely trying this!

Beef heart (comes in thin slices from tesco, like liver). Was dubious at first, but really low in fat (much lower fat % than the leanest stewing steak) and really cheap (approx £3 per kg). Really lush cooked in slow cooker all day and the whole family love it :-D

Well, I never would have thought of that! Definitely must try.

PB2! Courtesy of Sallyvater. Its powdered peanut butter with 85% of the fat taken out. You make it up with water and it is just like regular peanut butter! 2syns for a tablespoon. Bit pricey but totally worth it. You can get it from Amazon :p

PB2! Courtesy of Sallyvater. Its powdered peanut butter with 85% of the fat taken out. You make it up with water and it is just like regular peanut butter! 2syns for a tablespoon. Bit pricey but totally worth it. You can get it from Amazon :p

Ooh yum may have to try that! Thanks :)

Butter Buds, someone mentioned them in group... You get them from lakeland (though I got them on ebay, lol). 1 sachet is half a syn, sprinkled on jacket potato it's lovely! I would imagine it's also good in mash and you can also add a little water and use it as a kind of buttery sauce/melted butter.

Never heard of these. Just ordered some!!

I MUST try PB2, I love peanut butter and it was my 'thing I missed' so I'm totally up for 2 syn peanut butter.

My discovery is basically the whole Low Carb Megastore, I heard about it on cambridge but Ive ordered twice now and so much of it is syn free or very low syn, like for instance I bought their SurkinGold brown sugar substitute and it actually looks and tastes like the real thing, and the whole bag is 1 syn according to the calculator. I'm also in love with the da vinci syrups and sugar free 'butter maple' syrup, its all like zero calories zero fat zero sugar but still really nice, so it either works out at really low syn, free or so low syn I can't calculate it (like the brown sugar would be like .006 syns per tablespoon).

I've also found that I actually do like ham! I've always hated ham and pork products other than smoked, streaky bacon (crisp enough it snaps) and since joining SW I've found that if I buy nice, lean, smoked ham and sorta dry it out in a pan I really like it!

Sounds boring but tinned lentils. They are moorish when cooked in a tbs of curry paste and served with baked salmon and spinach.

Luisa, that sounds lovely. Dahl is definitely under rated. It is so delicious and nutritious. Good, simple, tasty, homely food.

Thanks curly.Locks and yes, it really is very, very nice. One of my firm favs now and so quick to cook. It's also fantastic for a SP day.

Back