What got you started on this journey???

nicci79

I was just wondering what peoples reasons for starting their journeys were?

What got me started on this mission was watching My Big FAT Operation, there was a huge woman laying on this (double sized) operating table and the doctor said " She may be this big, but we are still operating on a skinny person inside". All of a sudden i felt smothered. i had never though about it like that before, So glad i watched that!!

Also my kids School sports day, mum run!!!! (unfortunately, recently i found out that they don't do it at my kids school, shame that!!) x x x:eek:

Last edited:
Come on people!! get talking lol!

I've always been big boned. The first VLCD I did was lipotrim, because I looked awful. Got to a reasonable weight and then it slowly crept back on over the next few years and very quickly last year, with several attempted restarts. I'm not sure what switch flicked in my head this time around for it to work properly and my head to stay in the zone, but shortly before starting I had some photos taken of me with my best friend's new baby & 3yr old and they were awful - one of them is my avatar to remind me. I don't want to be that person any more, drowned in fat and unable to look good no matter what. Also, I hadn't ridden my horses for a year, was bursting out of my work uniform, avoided my skinny friends for fear of judgement and showed my lack of self respect by dressing very scruffily as I refused to acknowledge my size so was in hand me downs, car boot sale & charity shop buys. I'm in a much better place now :)

Mine is for my health firstly but Im going on holiday in July and the thought of wearing a swimming costume in a water park absolutely fills me with horror. I know by July I still won't be near my goal but I will be feeling better than I do now so I can swim with my kids.

Good for you evil weevil, and briar rose i am going away in august to cornwall with my family, its all beaches and i really don't want to just sit around covered up, i hate it so this time round i am going to bloody go for it!!

I've got a hundred reasons. I think my main one was ultimately gaining back some control in my life. Sorting myself out! Sick of avoiding people and situations because I was so ashamed of my weight.

Wanting to feel more lady like and not like a fat frump, and my health. To be able to do things with my little one without exhaustion. And I didn't ever ever want him to be embarrassed by me for being the fat mum. Kids are cruel and I'd hate for him to bear the brunt of it xxx

My main reason is so that I live long enough to see my children grow up, I want to be able to run around with them and enjoy them. I feel trapped and smothered by my size and I know that I am unhealthy. I don't want my children to be affected by my weight/poor health, I already get "Why are you eating that, it's unhealthy you'll stay fat" from my 7 year old....how shameful! Things are going to change!

I was inspired by a friend - and I think I am competitive, if she can I can.

What I really didn't realise was how awful I felt. I had somehow become used to being breathless, permanently tired, with an aching back, failing knees, headaches and blood pressure on the rise. I have a family history of diabetes and I knew at 17 stone it was inevitable for me too.

I also did not realise how much my self esteem was in my boots; I always felt I had to apologise for being alive, I would never complain in a shop or restaurant - just in case they made some remark about me bring fat. And I just hated fat clothes shops, I hated the styles, I hated tents, shapeless coveralls and elasticated waists. I hated buying something just because it fitted, never because I liked it or felt good in it. I wanted Levi jeans, to wear dresses, to shop in John lewis, Joules and Phase 8 - I did not want to look like a granny years before my time.

So I did it - it was not easy but I did and have no regrets at all, I am happier, stronger, much healthier, have loads of energy and a serious addiction to buying new clothes. So go for it fellow Exanters, sooner the better. It really does work.

GSQ

I was inspired by a friend - and I think I am competitive, if she can I can.

What I really didn't realise was how awful I felt. I had somehow become used to being breathless, permanently tired, with an aching back, failing knees, headaches and blood pressure on the rise. I have a family history of diabetes and I knew at 17 stone it was inevitable for me too.

I also did not realise how much my self esteem was in my boots; I always felt I had to apologise for being alive, I would never complain in a shop or restaurant - just in case they made some remark about me bring fat. And I just hated fat clothes shops, I hated the styles, I hated tents, shapeless coveralls and elasticated waists. I hated buying something just because it fitted, never because I liked it or felt good in it. I wanted Levi jeans, to wear dresses, to shop in John lewis, Joules and Phase 8 - I did not want to look like a granny years before my time.

So I did it - it was not easy but I did and have no regrets at all, I am happier, stronger, much healthier, have loads of energy and a serious addiction to buying new clothes. So go for it fellow Exanters, sooner the better. It really does work.

GSQ

Thats really insirational, it amazes me how all our stories tell the same bloomin story. How sad we all are of what we have become, and then to read all the amazing changes people have gone through, the feeling you get from reading all these is fab, i start reading and my position slouches more and more as i can relate to all these, the the change in everyones wording like, feel amazing, can fit into, happier, healthier, proud makes me sit up straighter and smile. So if this is how just this page makes 1 person feel better imagine what this whole site does to so many people!!!!!!

Wonderful!!!!!!!

I've got a hundred reasons. I think my main one was ultimately gaining back some control in my life. Sorting myself out! Sick of avoiding people and situations because I was so ashamed of my weight.

Wanting to feel more lady like and not like a fat frump, and my health. To be able to do things with my little one without exhaustion. And I didn't ever ever want him to be embarrassed by me for being the fat mum. Kids are cruel and I'd hate for him to bear the brunt of it xxx

Slimsarah, how long have you been on this diet? i ask because your start weight is the same as mine, i would like to know how long it might take for me to be where you are ( i know every one is different etc, but to have a rough guide would be lovely!) x x

I used to do slimming world, then started exante around 5/6 weeks ago and in that time I'm 2lb off losing a stone! :) xxxx

Back