What have you bought today that you would recommend to refeeders/maintainers?

RachieRoo

Silver Member
I know there is a thread for recipes on here already, but thought I would start this for things like:
Current Supermarket Bargains, Yummy new stuff, things you didnt realise that were lowfat, etc etc...
I know for one I'm always posting that this and that product is yummy so I thought we could post them all in one place.

I bought some high protein healthy snacks.
Brazil nuts - Not counted calories yet, but I will probably have 2 as a snack.
Cashew nuts (unsalted) few of those as a snack
Raisins - going to snack on these instead of chocolate biscuits or crunchies.

mmm brazil nuts - I beieve these are a 'Superfood' -sooo good for you! (not an excuse to eat the whole bag though!) I read the other day that walnuts protect against breast cancer too, have got some pecans in the cupboard but might have to invest in some other types. x

The other day I bought some mini (whispers) hommous (so many hommous lovers out there!) -3 in a pack - good for you- in sainsburys 85 cals per pot. Great for lunch with pitta and salad. (only one pot at a time tho people!)
I bought some fresh planted herbs 85p each in Asda and put them in my hanging baskets outside my front door.MMM fresh basil on my salad!!
Pineapples £1 in Morrisons.
Rachels low fat bio yog (from my very own dairy haha!!) Strawberry gorgeous, rhubarb even more so. Love a bit on top of fruit sprinkled with a healthy seed/dried fruit mix!
Uncle Bens microwavable brown rice with medditeranean veg £1 in Asda (only bought this tonight as didnt have 20mins to boil rice!)

I love food shopping now!!
x

I looked at pecans today, but didnt pick them up.

The other thing I bough today was the WW fromage frais with layered berries, it was delicious and only 63 calories.

Trying now to stay away from the sort of sweet type treats, eg crunchies, biscuits etc, and go more for natural fruits/treats.

I grow my own basil, I love it on all fish, chicken and tomato dishes - gorgeous.
I was growing coriander too, but it has died on me.

me too...even for my daughter I put dried fruit, wraps,pittas and chewy musli bars in her lunch box...she loves them!

What I do love to prepare the night before, similar to muesli is porridge.

30g of porridge into a bowl, add 150ml of skimmed milk, 150ml of water and leave in the fridge overnight.

Then when ready to eat (cold) sprinkle in some raisins, chopped nuts, any fresh fruits you desire or even defrosted frozen berries, and its lovely. I usually have this when I am dayshift, 4:40 rise, shower, long drive and start work at 6:20am. I have this around 8am, it sees me full until around 1-2pm. Lovely.

This can also be heated in the microwave, then add the nuts, seeds, raisins etc.

Last edited:
Oh thanx Mary, iIused to have porridge a lot before TFR- always just chucked porrige in a bowl with water, zapped it for two minutes in the micro (til it was hard, like you have to cut it - but I like it like that) and then skimmed milk on the top. However I'm gonna try your way tonight! - think I could become hooked - thanks x

Sorry, above recipe should read 100ml skimmed milk, 110ml water for 30g of porridge.
150ml of each water and milk is used when I use 45g of porridge. (depending how hungry I am)

If you want a bowl of plain porridge just use 30g porridge, mixed in with 100ml of skimmed milk, 110ml of water and zap in microwave for about 4 minutes, but I stir it every minute or so. Then add some golden syrup of honey when warm.

Porridge in the morning then! Yummy! x

I recommened everything healthy LOL!

Everything just tastes so good on refeed it's nuts. You should buy yourself a pot of Henna's Very Low Fat Natural Yoghurt. 100g = 43 calories, it goes amazingly with baked potatoe and tuna, sprinkle some pepper and parsely. Love it! :)

Oh and I hear what you're saying about Those WW fruit layered fromage frays Mary, oh my god I had one after my dinner. They are gorgious!

The rasberry ones are 51 cals :)

I do hear and read that people reckon that the full fat yogurts are more tasty and I can imagine they are, but to be honest, I would rather use 45-65 calories on a low fat yogurt than 115 calories on a full fat yogurt.

Oooh now i fancy going to the cupboard and getting 2 brazil nuts. But I wont, its just greed if I do....lol

Oh yes Yas i'm with you on the low fat yoghurt. Put some curry powder/tikka spice in it and marinade a chicken breast in it (overnight if you can) Yummmm!!! On a sweet potato...sp..rinkled with herbs!!! You can use it with everything I even made a tiramisu with riccota and lowfat yog. it was the best ever!!! x

Oh yes Yas i'm with you on the low fat yoghurt. Put some curry powder/tikka spice in it and marinade a chicken breast in it (overnight if you can) Yummmm!!! On a sweet potato...sp..rinkled with herbs!!! You can use it with everything I even made a tiramisu with riccota and lowfat yog. it was the best ever!!! x
Ooo sounds nice

MMMmmmmm! Great tips girls. I cant wait to start on porridge (maybe after my hol?). With the curry powder/nat yoghurt marinade how would you cook the chicken then? Just bake it as normal? Also I think there is a something in brazil nuts called selenium which keeps weight down, my prob with nuts though is I finish the bag! Could never stick to 1 or 2!

Thanks for all the wonderful recipes and tips and hints, making my mouth water!!

some great tips here :)

ya know, i tried natural yogurt on its own once and i thought it was rank!!!

how the hell can yogurt be used for marinating chicken and on potatoes? i just can imagine it but weirdly am looking forward to trying it lol

Can you have natural yogurt from day one?????

Also, sorry if this is really stupid but what are fromage frais? is it just yogurt?

And natural yogurt, can you buy anyone thats just natural or does it have to be a specific one to be able to use for cooking???

Back