What have you bought today that you would recommend to refeeders/maintainers?

oh, forgot to mention yesterday i bought my brother a lot of fresh meat as asda has 3 packs for £10 so i got:

3 bits of steak, 4 pork chops and 3 chicken breasts ... all for a tenner!!! have individually bagged them and froze them. Tonight he has steak stir fry with garlic and soy sauce :)

I am going to stock up on the chicken soon for my refeed :cool: thats just a complete bargain right?!

I am going to stock up on the chicken soon for my refeed :cool: thats just a complete bargain right?!

Hey tanya... yeah it is a bargain although i must try our local butchers - I'm not sure how his prices would compare to Asda's

And natural yogurt, can you buy anyone thats just natural or does it have to be a specific one to be able to use for cooking??? - Use any one hun!__________________

Fromage Frais - yes basically yoghurt - think cottage cheese with no lumps.
So many different dairy items that are more or less the same...yoghurt/ Fromage Frais/Quark/Cottage Cheese

Think you can only have it from day 3 or 4 hun!

With the curry powder/nat yoghurt marinade how would you cook the chicken then? Just bake it as normal

yes just bung it in the oven/on the george/grill/dry fry or put in the slow cooker (make sure plenty of yoghurt so it doesn't dry out too much! I LOVE my slow cooker!!! Have I mentioned that before!!???:roofles: Sorry to bore you all with the fact!
x

so basically any yogurt that is 'natural' is fine to use for cooking!?

Bought some lovely frozen cod today in somerfield for £2. It has 4 pieces in it. Bargain. Also bought 2 salmon steaks for £2.49, they were half price on offer. Cant wait for my cod tonight now yum!!!!

Last edited:
Let me know how the frozen fish works out Glammam. I have it in my head that fresh is better I've only been buying fresh but along with the chicken breasts it does get pricey!
Tanya - yeah any natural yoghurt it MUST be low fat/very low fat or 0% fat however! x

I used to think that...but if you think about it, fish that isn't frozen has been sat on ice on a boat then in a refridgerated lorry then through a factory then back on the refridgerated lorry and sat in an open fridge in the supermarket....frozen will have been (hopefully!) really fresh when it was frozen. It's often cheaper too because it is easier to transport as not the rush with fresh fish and can travel further. That is my thinking anyway lol!

Great point careful counter! Maybe its because I've been put off by frozen chicken in the past. Gonna give it a go - thanks! x

Really enjoyed my cod tonight. I put a little bit of cajun spice with it and a tablespoon full of water, wrapped it up in tinfoil and cooked it in the oven for 30mins. It was beautiful, really tender. I couldn't believe how tasty it was, full of flavour. Didn't taste any different that it was frozen. If I buy fresh I always end up freezing it myself anyway. On my last post I wrote I was having steak tonight. Wishful thinking I meant cod!!!!!

mmmm sounds delicious! Glad u enjoyed it... (toodles off to google fish recipes!) x

I love fish.
In tesco, they sell 'Smoked - or Unsmoked Vietnamese River Cobbler' its about half the price of smoked haddock, cod etc and its really tasty. I buy it regular now and it works out about £1 per piece. I even got it at the end of the night one night for 64p so I bought it all, I think there were 5 pieces. Cheap meal. Its worth it to go to the Supermarkets early evening to pick up the bargains.

I never know what time the fish counter closes in my local supermarket - it doesnt close with the rest of the store thats for sure!

whatt about tinned fish?

Hi all, but Kered really as she is now a food expert! thank god for you.
I had some tinned Kippers in brine yesterday and it was delicious. I know it is an oily fish but full of Omega 3 etc. Do you think this is ok. Can't remember the clories but it did not appear high and the Sat. fat was ok also I think. Any info, gratefully appreciated.

Yes its great for you and we should be eating oily fish at least once a week, its great. I love sardines too, everything just tastes lovely now - dont you agree?

Oily fish???

i thought fish was fish lol

The Health Benefits of Oily Fish

By WLR Dietitian

Juliette Kellow BSc RD

Most oily fish such as salmon, trout, mackerel, sardines and fresh tuna contain protein, zinc, selenium, vitamins A and D, and some B vitamins.
It’s omega-3 fatty acids that give oil-rich fish its superfood status. The first link between omega-3s and health came while studying Eskimos in the 1970s. Researchers found they suffered fewer conditions such as heart disease, rheumatoid arthritis and psoriasis than their European counterparts, despite eating a high-fat diet including salmon, whale and seal. Eventually, omega-3 fats were recognised as the components of these foods that appeared to offer so many health-promoting benefits.
It’s now well known that omega-3s make blood less sticky, which in turn may prevent blood clots from forming. Omega-3s also help to keep the heart beating regularly, protect the small arteries that carry blood to the heart from damage and help to lower levels of another type of blood fat called triglycerides.
Research also shows that eating more omega-3s can help improve the chances of survival after a heart attack.
It’s not just our hearts that may benefit from oil-rich fish. According to US dermatologist Dr Nicholas Perricone, creator of the Perricone Diet, the unique combination of protein, omega-3 fats and antioxidants in fish like salmon makes it the ultimate wrinkle buster, too, so that we also potentially look younger!
Oily Fish Nutritional Value

Oily fish may be higher in calories and fat than white fish or shellfish but you should still include it in your diet to boost omega-3 levels.
The Food Standards Agency recommends one portion a week. Salmon, trout, mackerel, herring, sardines, pilchards, kippers and fresh (but not canned) tuna all count.

What I bought today.

I bought some cream coloured cropped jeans for my hols, bargain at £8 in Asda lol.

oooh kered i saw them the other and fell in love but wasnt about to buy them as i still have 7 weeks till holiday lol :sigh:

thanks for the fish info! i didnt realise that! so if i wanted fish its best to have cod than salmon? and only have salmon once a week?

Gonna have to have a trip to Asda Mary! Thanks for the fish tips! Did you make your rib recipe yet? Just sent dh up the butchers to get some ribs, gonna do 'em on the George later! x

oooh kered i saw them the other and fell in love but wasnt about to buy them as i still have 7 weeks till holiday lol :sigh:

They have some really good offers on there today, shame I was in work, I had to rush back.

thanks for the fish info! i didnt realise that! so if i wanted fish its best to have cod than salmon? and only have salmon once a week?

Yes, but try to ensure you eat an oily fish once a week for the health benefits.

Gonna have to have a trip to Asda Mary! Thanks for the fish tips! Did you make your rib recipe yet? Just sent dh up the butchers to get some ribs, gonna do 'em on the George later! x
Welcome Rach, I love clothes shopping.
Not done the ribs yet, waiting for my friend who lives near the Chinese supermarket to get me the barbie sauce, its so much cheaper than the supermarket.

Back