What have you eaten that you thought was healthy.....

Please lets not go down the chicken line again!! Threads have been locked because of this and this is a good thread, I'd hate for it to be closed.

The syn value on the website is the thing to go by. If you eat them and remove the skin and all is well then continue, if your losses are suffering, then don't.

Mine was dolmio, When I first started, I bought a jar, thinking "It's just tomatoes" and it was 19 syns for the large jar!! Needless to say we never used it, and now I make my own with passata and stock.

Isn't it funny how we adapt things.

I am going to be attempting to make a Dhansak out of the SW book, even though it is not to high in Syns at a restaurant.

It might be worthwhile on this thread what people have found as an alternative, ie as Helen has said, makes her sauce herself.

Please lets not go down the chicken line again!! Threads have been locked because of this and this is a good thread, I'd hate for it to be closed.

The syn value on the website is the thing to go by. If you eat them and remove the skin and all is well then continue, if your losses are suffering, then don't.

Hi Chick,

I have looked online under Asda, Tesco and Morrisons on Syn checker but cannot find any. I will ask my C, however she often say one thing one week. I have never noticed it affect my weigh ins so hopefully all is ok.

Thanks for the advice guys, most appreciated!!

Hi Chick,

I have looked online under Asda, Tesco and Morrisons on Syn checker but cannot find any. I will ask my C, however she often say one thing one week. I have never noticed it affect my weigh ins so hopefully all is ok.

Thanks for the advice guys, most appreciated!!

It was my Consultant who rang head office, they are free so long as you remove the skin and any fatty bits. They don`t inject fat into them, that is a myth.

Go ahead crispy slices! Thought they woul really low in syns - 2 in each and they arn't even that nice! I can have a proper biscuit for 2.5! Oh bugger!

Tesco's Indian Takeaway Lamb Rogan Josh - thought it was 3 sysns per pack, but realised i bought the Tesco's Takeway Lamb Rogan Josh, a whopping 14 syns! One little word can make 11 sysns worth of difference! oops!!!!!!!!

That's crazy! I had a take away lamb rogan josh and that was only 6.5!!! I wonder what Tesco put in it to make it so many syns?

Aah but was it really only 6.5 - did you weigh the portion as SW give syns for an average portion and they can be two or even three times bigger in reality

That is a common mistake on SW

PS the Tesco one probably has a lot of oil in it

I know when I had a Chinese the other week and weighed the portions they did equate to the average in the book pretty much, guess it depends on the takeaway though I guess

to be honest I can never understand how slimming world or weight watchers for that matter, can give a generic syns/points value for take away food (especially stuff like Chinese/Indian). No food place cooks exactly the same and the ingredients can be very different, especially the amount of oil used.

I am always weary of that when have any take away treats, but I suppose if it is just an occasional thing, then it isn't going to have too much of any effect even if it is over what they state.

i like the cooked chickens but my hubby cannot eat them. Something they put on / in them affects his stomach and he omits (sorry) a smell that i can only describe as putrid chicken.
yuk! - that's fowl! (sorry) ;)

As I understood it, supermarket chickens are injected with water so there may be an issue with "true " weight.

Steve

PS - must be true I think it was in Delia's book:p

By the way, I agree with BritMuminCanada - generic values are deceiving. Even the so-called "Good For You" range are not. Filled with salt & sugar. In the past 6 weeks I have ate once (a half-portion of fish and chips as I was unable to have anything else) something high in syns. I counted it as a full portion and reduced my syns over the rest of the week to even it out.

I'm now a great believer in cooking everything myself from scratch rather than inferior quality ready meals. Perhaps that is overkill, but it works for me. A from the freezer ready meal made by myself is better than any from the supermarket;-)

Last edited:
Back