What if I am scared of being slim?....

Hiya!

I don't go to class either, I just weigh in at home on a Friday. You will have to come and let me know how you do on my diary when you weigh in on Wednesday. What is you target weight? I am looking to get down to 12 stone, but I don't really have any idea what weight I need to be. I think I am just going to try and keep going until I am happy. (Could be never lol!) xx

I have 11 stone in mind, but will just have to see how it goes and what I look like along the way. I have pretty much excepted I am never going to be skinny, tbh I don't want to be skinny, I think curves are nice, just my curves are a bit too large at the moment:rolleyes:

My Stevie child...........mumsie here !!!

If you have changed it can only be for the better. You are an all round nice guy and no I do not want to borrow anything.

You are truly inspirational and you along with a few others in this forum are what we would all like to achieve.

hugs xxxx

Hey mumsie, I will have you know I am no longer an all round guy! - I used to be but much leaner now thanks:p

Not sure all you lovely ladies aspire to be a slim male either lol.

But your sentiments are as always, spot-on!:)

Sorry for the hijack:eek:

To return to the OP, I think its absolutely feasible and reasonable to assume that you are scared of being slim and subconciously sabotaging yourself.

Think about the weight you want to lose in terms of 1lb bricks in a protective wall. Extra weight is a very good defence mechanism when we dont feel very good about ourselves, and a side-effect of the unhealthy food cycles we get into when we dont feel very good about ourselves. "I dont like myself" "Why would anyone else like me if I dont even like me" "I will just eat more pie, because Pie likes me when it seems everyone else doesnt" (but really, this is just me sticking another brick up to protect me from facing the reality of who I am, and I am not sure I want to expose those things to daylight quite yet because I dont like them so why put them on public display and open myself to more ridicule, at least if Im fat I know why they ridicule me, so thats a devil I know.)

So it wouldnt be unreasonable to find the act of losing the weight threatening, and scary. I think its pretty crucial to try not to overwhelm yourself with thinking about that point in the future in order to succeed at weightloss. Keep your head in the present "Today, I am eating the SW way because I choose to try and lose some weight" and dont overthink the future "When Im thin, what if I still dont like me? What then?" - what you need to do is gradually and slowly, 1lb by 1lb, relax your way into doing it, so that it just becomes second nature, and you dont need to look too far into the future and can keep steady in the present.

You may have self-esteem issues which simply losing the weight may not fix, but equally, you could find by losing the weight, the rest of the things that might have once scared you become largely irrelevant as your confidence grows as the lbs drop off.

Just take it a day at a time. Dont let some future hypothetical situation alter what your intentions are now. Many things can change between now and then. Including how you feel about yourself.

To return to the OP, I think its absolutely feasible and reasonable to assume that you are scared of being slim and subconciously sabotaging yourself.

Think about the weight you want to lose in terms of 1lb bricks in a protective wall. Extra weight is a very good defence mechanism when we dont feel very good about ourselves, and a side-effect of the unhealthy food cycles we get into when we dont feel very good about ourselves. "I dont like myself" "Why would anyone else like me if I dont even like me" "I will just eat more pie, because Pie likes me when it seems everyone else doesnt" (but really, this is just me sticking another brick up to protect me from facing the reality of who I am, and I am not sure I want to expose those things to daylight quite yet because I dont like them so why put them on public display and open myself to more ridicule, at least if Im fat I know why they ridicule me, so thats a devil I know.)

So it wouldnt be unreasonable to find the act of losing the weight threatening, and scary. I think its pretty crucial to try not to overwhelm yourself with thinking about that point in the future in order to succeed at weightloss. Keep your head in the present "Today, I am eating the SW way because I choose to try and lose some weight" and dont overthink the future "When Im thin, what if I still dont like me? What then?" - what you need to do is gradually and slowly, 1lb by 1lb, relax your way into doing it, so that it just becomes second nature, and you dont need to look too far into the future and can keep steady in the present.

You may have self-esteem issues which simply losing the weight may not fix, but equally, you could find by losing the weight, the rest of the things that might have once scared you become largely irrelevant as your confidence grows as the lbs drop off.

Just take it a day at a time. Dont let some future hypothetical situation alter what your intentions are now. Many things can change between now and then. Including how you feel about yourself.

Hi MadameLaMinx

Thank you for taking the time to post and what lovely supportive post it was :) It makes a lot of sense what you say, I do have a lot of self esteem issues and I know these are things I need to work on along the way.

I think I am scared of being something new, and like you say I think I am scared of getting to my goal and not being magically fixed! What if I still don't like myself- I put some much of self esteem issues down to being fat- but what If I take being fat away and they are still there? I think I am worrying that I have realised this may well happen and that I need to start thinking about how I am going to change this. But you are right- I need to take one step at a time.

I think maybe I just need to let myself feel these things as usually I just push them aside and tell myself don't be so pathetic, just get a grip and get on with it. Maybe if I work through these feelings a little and stop feeding them with food I might start making some progress.

Thank you for your nice words, I feel a lot better since I have written these feelings down. I don't really have anyone I can talk to so its nice to know other people understand and I suppose validate my feelings for me. I think by seeing that other people don't think I am being silly, maybe I can validate my feelings too.

Sorry for the ramble I suppose it helps just getting it down :)

Claire xx

I had a bit of a thought today... last night I had a chocolate incident. My rationale brain was telling me all the time of me thinking about doing it and whilst doing it that it was wrong, but it was almost like I wasn't in control of my body. It got me to thinking about why the need to eat the chocolate got the better of me even though I knew it was wrong and I came up with that if I am scared of being slim?

Let me explain.... I have never been slim as an adult, I have been at least a size 16 for as long as I can remember, at least from age 13/14. So I don't know what it is like to be slim, I don't know what it feels like, I don't know what kind of person I will be or how I will feel when I am slim.

I always get to this weight, around 15 stone, but then never any lower, it is like a comfort blanket of this is what I know, anything below this is unknown territory. So today I realised that maybe that uncontrolled eating- feel like I can't stop myself doing it- maybe it is a defence mechanism.

I know that that chocolate is going to make me feel better if only for a few moments, and because I KNOW that feeling, I can rely on it- that it what I chose over the willpower and possibility of being slim because I DON'T know how that feels?

Does this make any sense- it is hard to get what I mean into words? What if subconsciously I am sabotaging myself because I don't know what it will be like? Am I secretly scared of being slim?

I sometimes wonder if tomorrow someone made me slim for a day and then put me back to 15 stone- would I lose weight much quicker after because I knew how it felt?

Sorry for the waffle just wanted to see what people thought.

Thanks for reading

Claire xx

I can fully understand where your coming from.
I am also frightened about being slim, I have been over weight for about 20 years but I have now lost over 3 stone, at the 1 1/2 stone mark I had to buy new clothes, so I just brought 1 size down. Then when it got to 3 stone lost I still went out and brought the same size clothes.

It took a while to reaslise that in needed to buy clothes that fitted me not just what I thought would fit.

I have dropped 3 dress sizes, but still look at clothes in the larger sizes, I have not been this size for about 20 years.

I know I am slimmer but keep hiding myself in my old clothes, but I have had enough today I have thrown out all my old clothes (I finished work for the summer 6 weeks off).
I now have 2 pairs trousers and 2 blouses which I have brought in the last 2 months, now preparing to go out at he end of Aug to buy a whole new work wardrobe.

You will get used to being slim, after 6 months I'm still getting there.

Have you thought about doing drama classes? Usually a really good way of getting rid of that self-conciousness.

Really interesting thread. I myself too have been wondering the same thing over the last week or so.
I have set a target at 10st, and keep wavering around 11.7. Briefly i got to 11.4, and currently I am 11.12. My friends say I am at my 'natural weight' - at 5ft 4, I dont believe this!

I am taking it 1 step at a time, I know I CAN get to the weight I want, I need to stay focussed, as the plan will work.
I look forward to 'being' slim, and seeing what life is like below 11st.
Good luck to you all too, we can do it together x

I totally get the worry here. I am most scared that when (not if!) i am slim i will turn into one of those people i don't particularly like! You know, the ones who care about what they look like, plan their outfits, and don't mind having their photos taken. For years i have hidden away in baggy tops, studiously avioded the camera, and maintained its my brains that are important, not the way i look. Of course in reality i have always known that its a sad but true fact that in my line of work it is important that you don't look a complete state (work in sales) so i have been deluding myself really.

Whilst I fully understand this thread and appreciate the fear some of you feel and must say I have learnt a lot from the topic....I have no fear what-so-ever of being slim. My only fear is NOT being slimmer.

My fear is reaching target AGAIN and not maintaining it.

Whilst I fully understand this thread and appreciate the fear some of you feel and must say I have learnt a lot from the topic....I have no fear what-so-ever of being slim. My only fear is NOT being slimmer.

Very wise words Sue as always x

fillymum said:

Blimey - never even thought about that! Been so focused on getting there but never considered that once i did i might not stay there.

To be honest, it IS a big shock to your system actually getting to target. You are so focused on "getting" there that actually hitting it can be a real mindblower. "Ok, what now?" - for me, I got there and thought "Not done", and didnt really settle until I got to about a stone lighter, and I am happily here now and can maintain it reasonably well. Its not without its pitfalls, and I still see every item of food in terms of its syn value, which I suppose helps, but can be quite annoying to work out that this is REALLY it, and to not go back where you were you still have to think in those terms.

You arent suddenly going to get thinner and turn into one of those people who can eat their body weight in pizza and never gain an ounce. If you were programmed that way, you wouldnt have got overweight in the first place.

I think its vital to remember (and this applies to those losing, as well as those maintaining) that being slim DOES NOT qualify you for permanent long term happiness. And equally, that fat might be a symptom, rather than a cause, for your unhappiness.

As you look towards your target, its very useful to explore how you feel about yourself, remind yourself of your progress, and how losing weight in itself, regardless of how much, or for how long, is a HUGE achievement in its own right.

You might only have 4lb to lose, you might have 400lb, but to lose them, you have to make the right choices, act positively on your own behalf, and thats hard to do, if you have a deep down belief that you arent worth the effort or worth caring about.

So every time you get on those scales, and see them drop, a little, or a lot, remember how positive what you are doing is, and how you ARE worth the effort. Not because of what other people want for you, or how they might see you, but because more than anything else, you want to make sure you take care of yourself, because no-one else will ever try as hard as you can to do that.

Treat this as an exercise in regaining an element of control over your life, your body. Thats hard to do too, especially if you are happier abandoning control because "you just dont have any" - you do have control, we all do, over the choices we make and the thoughts we have of ourselves.

Would the voice in your head say the sorts of negative things to your best friend/partner that it says to you? I doubt it, firstly, it wouldnt be brave enough to risk the friendship/love by doing it, and secondly because it values that person enough to treat them with love and kindness. Its a cowardly voice, it attacks its nearest "soft" target - which is you, and me, (you may be able to tell that I am speaking with the benefit of hindsight here!) because we BELIEVE what we tell ourselves, because its the only opinion we have and therefore it must be right. It takes some doing to actually challenge those thoughts and put them into perspective, but if you can do it, its a really useful tool to chip away at the negative thoughts and make you feel more positive about things.

I think the journey to target has actually been the most self-exploratory one of my life - because I have had to peel back the layers of protection, and leave myself exposed to the harsher elements of life. Its very easy to invisage running away from them, back into the cake tin, into the supermarket to stock up on "treats", because there you are on safer more comforting ground. But to succeed at this, long term, you have to push past that urge and recognise it as what it is.

Here comes one of my strangely inventive metaphors again...

Its like having a jumbled 10000 piece jigsaw in your head, and having to painstakingly pick each piece up, inspect it, make sure its ok, and find the place where it fits. I am probably 1/3 of the way through sorting through the jigsaw, and I am 18 months into the weight reparation exercise. Often even now, the mental equivalent of having a few more pieces flung onto the unsorted pile will instinctively trigger me into thinking I should go sort this out with kitkat caramels, because they really are the only thing that make sense at that point. Much like me, with the jigsaw metaphor, have a syn free kitkat caramel on me.

Anyway, after that TL : DR effort on my part, good on you for staying awake to the end, if you managed it. It was a bit of a conscious stream of thought.

To summarise. MLM thinks too much. But I hope some of what I said makes some sort of sense, to someone, other than me!! :8855:

From someone else who thinks too much it makes sense to me.

It still grates with me when people say 'You must feel great/so much more confident' etc etc because the weight loss doesn't guarantee that. That said I probably am more confident now but whether increased confidence came first or the weight loss is very difficult to measure/prove!
I have worked out a lot of stuff inside and know I look better on the outside(with my clothes on anyway :p) but I don't always feel great and would sometimes like to dive into a big bag of bombay mix/crisps/choc/bottle/s of wine etc and hide without having to worry about the effect on my weight.
The fact that I don't do that (touch wood!) is another sign that I am happier at this weight and don't want to go back there though (I think :rolleyes: )

I totally get the worry here. I am most scared that when (not if!) i am slim i will turn into one of those people i don't particularly like! You know, the ones who care about what they look like, plan their outfits, and don't mind having their photos taken. For years i have hidden away in baggy tops, studiously avioded the camera, and maintained its my brains that are important, not the way i look. Of course in reality i have always known that its a sad but true fact that in my line of work it is important that you don't look a complete state (work in sales) so i have been deluding myself really.

Hey, this was my fear, but mine was not so much about being obsessed with clothing, but more of a personality change. A different attitude toward people, a more selfish "look at me" type of thing.

Fortunately, my peers & colleagues tell me I'm still a cheeky sod and my acerbic sarcasm is delivered from a much smaller frame and without big belly laughs!

I'm still feverishly searching for the compliment in that one:D

My fear is letting it all go again! How silly is that after getting there. Foolish to think you can rest on your laurels:p

Back