what inspired you?

aislingb said:
My husband inspired me.. since we met he's been amazing and supportive and i couldnt do this weight loss thing without him! Ive always started diets and given up after 5 or 6 weeks and kept putting on weight in the mean time.
breaking point for me came when i got married last may and i wouldnt have my white wedding i always dreamed of because i felt so ugly and the thought of a photographer following me all day made me feel sick so we got married just me and him..It should have been the best day of my life and it most ways it was i married my soulmate but the fact that i let my weight stop me from having the wedding of my dreamed made me sit up and think i have to change this or what kind of life am i going to have!it makes me cry just thinking about it....
i joined slimming world almost 7 weeks ago and its honestly the best thing ive ever done and it my life is getting better with every week that goes by just knowing im doing something about it now. and we plan to renew our wedding vows in turkey in may 2012 and ill get my white wedding..better late than never xxxxxxx

Aww Aislingb, that's so sad you didn't have your dream wedding ((hugs))

Will you renew your vows and have your dream wedding after you've lost the weight?

Good luck on your journey, I really hope you get there x x

Mine was that my friend who had previously been one of my unhealthy eating/boozing buddies had joined sw, I hadn't seen her for ages but knew she had lost nearly a stone. I was dreading seeing her because I knew I'd be jealous.

Then one day she started sending me all these recipes and saying she knew I would love sw because I love cooking.

It was half term so I was off, looked on the net and saw there was a class near me that evening and just joined.

I then saw her the next day and she looked so great but as I had joined I had no reason to feel jealous- only inspired!

The ultimate kick in the teeth for me was seeing a wedding photo of me at my brother's wedding in August 2008 - I literally sat there and cried.

I'd been saying I wanted to loose weight for a few years, but it was always "next month" - even after brother announced his engagement, it was "next month" and of course "next month" never comes - I kept saying that up to 2 months before the wedding when it became "it's too late to do anything now". I'd been ignoring all the problems with pains in the knees and hips and being permentantly out of breath, and having to order the largest size trousers and everything online as standard shops don't stock the size i was (i squeezed into a pair of 54inch waist trousers for that wedding).

A few weeks after the photo's came out, my other brother asked me to be an usher at his wedding in August 2009 - I had ruined one set of wedding photos, I wasnt going to ruin another. I picked a start date - 1st December 2008 and geared up to start then.

Since 1st December 2008 - 27whole months ago - I've never looked back - I find 32inch trousers to be a little loose (but not loose enough to go to 30inch) and now take a small/medium sized t-shirt and not the 5XL I used to. 15st12.5lb gone - and may it never been seen again.

Thanks Slimming World.

Having always been overweight and battled with my weight my entire adult life, I decided that I would give up dieting and throw away my scales.....I lived for years telling myself that I was fat but happy and glad I was no longer in the diet world and could just accept who I was...

One day- after a couple of years of not weighing myself- I got on a set of scales out of interest and was just gobsmacked that my weight had got to 19 stone! I cried for 24 hours straight and decided instantly that I was going to lose weight, but vowed to do it slowly this time rather than mad crash diet of the past- I set myself a target of losing just half a pound a week.

I lost 8 stone, got fit and have hept that way for 6 months- and know in my heart of hearts that this is me now- I have found the real me for the first time ever, and shudder at the thought that i almost convinced myself that the fat girl who lived in fear of being looked at/laughed at/not fitting in things/breaking furniture/hating clothes was the person I was meant to be
x

we have been TTC for a year now with no luck so this has been my motivation!

My husband has also lost a lot of weight and I don't want to be the fat wife.

My brother in law is getting married in July and it will be the first time I have seen all his family since my wedding last year so I want them all to be shocked at how good I will look! :p

Wow! This is a fantastic thread. It's actually really motivational - especially the stories that have a happy ending! Well done everyone for taking those really important steps.

My "moment" was when I realised that I cannot STAND my hubbie touching me. I am so repulsed by myself I just don't want to be touched, even hugged, any more. We are together 13 years - it's just not right. So I decided it was time. Have tried WW unsuccessfully a number of times but could never make it stick. A friend is doing SW and I thought - why not give it a go. Joined and totally bought into it. Am happy to be here and am looking forward to the journey I am undertaking now. Can't wait to be the "real" me again.

I have always been on some sort of diet througout my 20's - (i am now 32) and failed at every one, gaining all the weight i had lost, and then some more each time.

My friend had a 30th birthday party and all the photos were put on Facebook, along with a video. I detagged myself in every one, and realised i hated how i looked. I then went on holiday to the amazing Sensatori resort in Mexico, which should have been a holiday of a lifetime - which it was, but the photos are vile. I had joined SW half heartedly before i went to Mexico, and had lost 7lbs - but i had regained this and more again!!!

I rejoined at the end of October 2009 and i weighed in at 18 stone 3.5 lbs. I was a size 22/24 in some clothes - and still fooling myself in stretchy size 20's (mmmmm muffin top anyone?) and leggings and smock style tops that hid the rolls of fat.

I really have stuck to it - have inspired others to join, and i am still going....i do have my ups and downs, but its the most weight i have ever lost - and i am nearly at my lightest weight i can remember being as an adult.

I have also been proposed to and have a wedding in October this year so i need to get to the dream dress size!!!

I am taking it at one pound each week, which is going to make me the happiest and healthiest bride in the world!

x

I was in a relationship with a really overweight man-we had just grown fat together. He couldn’t commit to any diet-I did lose weight but with him binging all the time it meant I was too.
For reasons aside from weight issues we ended up going our own ways.
I started a new relationship with a slim man-for the first time in my life I felt like a whale next to him.
My highest recorded weight was 15 stone 9 (I’m 5 foot 7 inches) and I currently weigh 12 stone 11lbs. I want to be at goal in June.
I have become quite unwell with a liver problem last year-thankfully in recovery, I have been given a second chance at life.
I have two stone and one pound to lose by the end of June when I am doing a parachute jump to raise money for the British Liver Trust.

I look and feel the best I have ever felt-I am happy, healthy and confidant. Losing this weight has been the best thing I have ever done-I only have two more to go and I can only imagine how good I will feel when I get to goal.

Aww Aislingb, that's so sad you didn't have your dream wedding ((hugs))

Will you renew your vows and have your dream wedding after you've lost the weight?

Good luck on your journey, I really hope you get there x x

hey hun :thankyou: yeah we are planning to have a proper wedding next year in kusadasi,may 21st 2012 our 2 year anniversary.. :) i havent bought my dress yet im waiting until sept when hopefully ill be at my target weight then!!weighing in tonight so fingers crossed for a good loss!

aislingb said:
hey hun :thankyou: yeah we are planning to have a proper wedding next year in kusadasi,may 21st 2012 our 2 year anniversary.. :) i havent bought my dress yet im waiting until sept when hopefully ill be at my target weight then!!weighing in tonight so fingers crossed for a good loss!

Ah wow! That's fab!! Great motivator too. Good luck tonight.

I love reading this thread it's very motivational! I can't remember any specific thing that happened that made me want to start losing weight, I just got so fed up of looking in the mirror and hating what I saw!

Joining SW was the best thing I've ever done!

Ah wow! That's fab!! Great motivator too. Good luck tonight.

aww thanks hun thats really nice..and i lost 3.5 tonight woohhoo!!! :D

my first post!! my motivation has come from pictures on facebook too! looking at them makes my stomach churn. After having my little girl it really made me change before i got pregnant i was struggling to get into a size 16 clothes and my size 18 work trousers were getting tight too. i was always going to start a diet and always gave up, id go to the gym for 6 weeks lose some weight feel a bit better and have a reason to eat more! so after having my little girl i wanted to return to work after my maternity leave and get a smaller size uniform which i did! woo hoo now they are getting big on me! compliments keep me going as do my friends 7 months into sw!!

suze1310 said:
my first post!! my motivation has come from pictures on facebook too! looking at them makes my stomach churn. After having my little girl it really made me change before i got pregnant i was struggling to get into a size 16 clothes and my size 18 work trousers were getting tight too. i was always going to start a diet and always gave up, id go to the gym for 6 weeks lose some weight feel a bit better and have a reason to eat more! so after having my little girl i wanted to return to work after my maternity leave and get a smaller size uniform which i did! woo hoo now they are getting big on me! compliments keep me going as do my friends 7 months into sw!!

Wow!! That is absolutely fantastic!!!!!!!

Back