What I've learned.....

Domane

Just wanted to share a few observations that I've learned on my journey to target this year....

- Firstly, you need to commit in your head. If you aren't "in the zone", or don't have a "mojo", it will be an uphill battle. If you mind is ready to commit and you are motivated and determined, then half the battle is won.

- You need to have common sense and listen to your body.

- Use the internet to read up... I've learned LOADS this year alone!!

- Everyone is different and what works for someone else, may not work for you. You may have to pick certain aspects from various diets to tweak the ideal for your own particular body and food tastes.

- Losing weight really IS about eating less calories than your body needs for your BMR. If you throw in some exercise into the mix, you WILL lose weight quicker. Don't allow yourself extra food for exercising, think of it as burning it off quicker!!

- A change is as good as a rest. If you've been plodding along on the same plan for a while (eg; SW, WW, RC) consider changing things up. Try a few weeks of CC, throw in some 24-hour fasts (they're really not as bad as you'd imagine!)

- Try a new exercise that you may have previously dismissed because you don't think you'd like it. After 50 years of an expected hatred of running, I dipped my toe into the Couch to 5K programme earlier this year and found a new love of running. (and that has SO helped me lose weight quicker!!!)

- Open up your palate to new taste sensations.... I've learned to adore celeriac or swede mash, cauliflower rice and courgette spaghetti.... well, there was no "learning", I loved them from the moment I tried them! And who knew I would love PRUNES!! :p (although sadly, they don't love me!)

- Experiment in the kitchen - and get yourself a "toy" gadget to play with along the way. I paid £10 for second-hand Kenwood food processor and have had SUCH fun trying new low-fat, low-cal recipes.... for not a lot of £££s and not a lot of my time ...

- Remember that it takes 3500 EXTRA calories to gain a pound in weight..... so if you've had a "bad day" and reached for a Mars bar, it doesn't mean that you should leap off the wagon and give up for that whole day. A Mars doesn't contain 3500 calories so it will take a LOT more to add a pound of weight on.

- Carbohydrates suck up fluid so eating lots of white carbs will cause you to retain more fluid and weigh a heck of a lot more than the original carbs you ate.

- Simple carbs (white bread, pasta, rice, potatoes) can also cause you to be bloated and sluggish. I thought my flabby tummy was just my shape and my fatigue was being caused by the menopause...until I gave up carbs for a week. My tummy went like a washboard and I was suddenly bouncing off the walls with energy. If in doubt, try going without for a few days to see if it makes a difference to YOU.

- Where possible, don't buy foods that will lead you into temptation (I appreciate this is difficult for those of you with children)

- Try and find a mate to lose weight alongside. Trying out your recipes together and sharing new foods is a great way to feel good.

- Get your OH on side. Ask him to scold you if he sees you skulking off to the kitchen in the evening when you feel the munchies hitting.

- For every pound of weight you lose, put a pound coin in a jar. If you gain, remove the correct amount and give it away to your OH so you are out of pocket.

- Take your measurements fortnightly. Even if you haven't lost weight, you may still have lost inches.

- Become best friends with My Fitness Pal and log absolutely everything that passes your lips. You may be surprised at just how many calories you are consuming.

Um.... can't think of any more generalisations now but I hope this helps some of you xxx

Such a good list Jane, I agree with every one of them :)

Thanks very much for your post. What a positive attitude you have.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using MiniMins.com mobile app

Thank you!

Back