What Kitchen gadget could you not live without, relative to SW?

Money-penny

For me it's my potato ricer - having to mash my potatoes without milk or butter/marg has been a bit of a pain for me and without the potato ricer I'd never be able to mash them into a nice smooth consistency (I don't like mixing the potatoes with fromage frais or anything like that).

An obvious one, but my digital scales, measure out my cereal, cheese, etc, they even can switch to milliletres for wine or milk! I'd have serious portion control issues without them.

i'd be lost without my digital scales.. cheap from argos too

Digital scales for sure - don't know how I ever managed with old fashioned scales now!

I think we all have some kitchen gadgets we never use but SW found me a new use for one of them! You know those little battery powered whisks for frothing milk? Turns out they make options hot choc extra luxurious looking! I can almost pretend it's proper hot choc with all that foam. :D

Someday, I hope to say my juicer. I really want to try juicing, but I would want a good juicer, and those don't come cheap *although they are much less expensive than they used to be*

jezzi999 said:
I would love one of those slicer dicer type things or a food processor with a grater/ slicer attachment but out of my budget.

We get a weekly veg box so different random veg each week which is great for variety but I get so bored with chopping![/QUOT

We bought one of these and use it loads...blending soups, grinding coffee beans, making muller milkshakes, food processor to make burgers, pâté and it's even got a whisk attachment for baking.

My little digital scales that I got for about a fiver off ebay, I weigh my muesli and cheese with them. And also a good jug with clear markings for if I measure some milk.

missy1978 said:
Digital scales for sure - don't know how I ever managed with old fashioned scales now!

I think we all have some kitchen gadgets we never use but SW found me a new use for one of them! You know those little battery powered whisks for frothing milk? Turns out they make options hot choc extra luxurious looking! I can almost pretend it's proper hot choc with all that foam. :D

Ha ha this works for me too. I always have milk left at the end of the day and if I don't use the little whisk I end up with a lumpy mess at the bottom after putting my options in. It's totally fab and makes proper hot choc which I don't usually like!

Money-penny said:

For me it's my potato ricer - having to mash my potatoes without milk or butter/marg has been a bit of a pain for me and without the potato ricer I'd never be able to mash them into a nice smooth consistency (I don't like mixing the potatoes with fromage frais or anything like that).

Where did you get your ricer from?

Where did you get your ricer from?

Lidl I think were doing them a few months ago... parents bought a couple and gave one to me, was them who told me they were the best way to make mashed potato.

Have just had a little look on ebay and they are selling fairly cheap on there!

my microplane grater - i have 2 (one fine and one normal). The fine one is good for grating lemon rind (probs all i use it for) but the normal one is fab - i use it most of grating parmasan - it makes a small bit go really far.

A spoon !
A big one .
Measure with it, serve with it, mash with it and eat with it.

A spoon !
A big one .
Measure with it, serve with it, mash with it and eat with it.

A proper tablespoon then is it? I have one of those too dates back to my grannies day - there are an awful lot of people out there who seem to use dessert spoons to measure out the amount stipulated on recipes as a tablespoon. I make sure I use the proper big spoon so I'm not getting less than I'm really allowed! :)

I love my set of spoons, they look like russian dolls from the back and there's everything from 1/4 tsp to 1 tbsp. I love my sillicone spatula too - most useful utensil ever!

I get rather excited about kitchen utensils lol ;)

Mine is my food processor... I use it for everything... Chopping and slicing veg, mincing chicken to make burgers. And our syn free meringue seems to turn out loads better than when done by hand

A proper tablespoon then is it? I have one of those too dates back to my grannies day - there are an awful lot of people out there who seem to use dessert spoons to measure out the amount stipulated on recipes as a tablespoon. I make sure I use the proper big spoon so I'm not getting less than I'm really allowed! :)

Yup, a proper tablespoon, though I do admit I also have a nesting set so I always get exactly what I'm entitled to - no matter how tiny lol !

Last edited:
I love my nest of spoons but can't live without my chopping board and veg knife, seems like I'm always chopping up fruit and veg!

Back