What made you all get big in the first place????

one word.....CHOCOHOLIC......I LOVED IT

xxx

Hug for Gaijingirl
so sad & so similair to my childhood - I am trying so hard not to do this to my daughter - but it is so hard not to panic about her love & obsession with food and she is only 6!
I was restricted from an early age and it was the start of my obsession with these forbidden foods - I hid food under my bed & found ways to deceive my parents to get money to buy crisps!
So what do I do for the best to help my 6 year old who is wearing age 10 clothes and is getting teased for her weight?
Think I am gonna post another thread on the subject....

Well it started for me at about 13/14. I started pinching money to buy sweets, started pinching crisps and all sorts. I was 10 stone by the time I got to 14 and it just carried on going up. I got unwanted attention from grown men and I think it was a big part of me protecting myself.

I fall into overeating when ever I feel vunerable especially streessed or under any pressure. I have a stressfull job and 4 children that I have manged through drinking too much and stuffung myself with dry tastless crackers until I felt numb.

What LL has taught me is that I am far from cured and still have a long way to go psychologically before I can use other strategoes to cope with this emotion. Its taken me 24 years to learn and perfect these reactions - I know they won't disappear overnight - but I so wished they would!

GReat Thread!

Wow, Cak'n'eat it, I can see from your ticker that your are virtually ready for Management! When are you moving over? You don't have to be a BMI of 25 to start. I was just under 27 when I asked if I could move.

I can be a bit daunting at first because this is where the REAL work begins! This is my fourth day on Management and so far I'm really enjoying it (I have a thread about it).

Four children - wow! I can barely manage with two! I am lucky enough to work during school hours/days too.

What strategies have you found helpful so far on the programme? Have you read Paul McKenna's book "I can make you thin"? I'm using some of his ideas alongside LL strategies; eat slowly and savour the food; eat what you want, not what you THINK you should; stop when you are full; there is lots of other stuff too.

When I was a kid, I felt fat.

I wasn't.

In other people, this would lead to anorexia. Me, I just ignored my weight. The first time I remember thinking "Wow, am I really fat?" I was 8 years old. I went to a neighbour's house to see if one of my friends was coming out to play. His dad answered the door, and said to me "Hey, have you lost weight? Your face is thinner." I was dumbstruck. I knew I'd felt fat, but nobody'd ever said anything to tell me I was fat. Now it had been confirmed.

I'm 5ft 7. My mom's 5ft nothing. When she got married she was seven and a half stone. From the time I was 12 years old, she used to tell me I was pearshaped. I'd go for a school uniform fitting and the skirt would be what she felt was too tight. She'd produce a bigger size and tell me I was pearshaped. Keep in mind that I never went above a size 10 in clothes until I was 18 years old, but there was my mother, telling me I was pearshaped and I shouldn't weigh over 8 stone.

I moved out of home when I was 17, and went to college. In college, I started putting on weight. My mindset was "I'm already a fat chick so what does it matter?" My weight crept up, 3lbs, then 2lbs more, then 4lbs... up and up, gently gently.

My self image was so messed up that I went through a horrendous four-year relationship from age 21 to age 25. I started at 9.5 stone, left the relationship at around 11 stone. Not huge, but not svelte.

I sorted my life out - new job, new town - and for a long time my weight stabilised at 11 stone. Then it crept up by another half a stone, and still I would think "well this is probaly the right weight for me, 11.5 stone, I mean it went on evenly so I don't look fat..."

My parents started telling me I was fat. My father went on and on and on about it. At my brother's wedding in 2003, he told anyone who'd listen that I had a fat ass. At the end of the night I went off to bed and my eldest brother started the biggest fight my family had ever seen with my father, and told both of my parents that if they didnt stop messing with my image of myself I'd eventually get so sick of it I'd never speak to them again.

Well they shut up after that, but it didn't make a difference. I was so mired in my image of myself I just kept going - eating healthy food, but too much of it, and drinking far too much beer. I was 12 stone 12lbs and a size 16 when I went on holidays for Christmas 2006. Overweight, but not obese. I met a friend I'd know from university. She knew me when I was a size 10. We talked about our weight - but even though she was a size 8 in university, she's a size 12 now and working on losing some weight (she's about 5ft 4).

I realised that my weight gain wasn't "okay", and shouldn't really be treated as something I expected all along. I'm applying for a visa to emigrate to Australia, and the visa doctor, when he weighed me, told me "Catch it now, or you'll never catch it."

I started eating less, but progress was really slow. Plus my self image is too fragile for slow progress. I get defeated easily. So now here I am, catching it. When I call up a mental image of myself, it's no longer a size 16 woman, it's the size 10 creature I once was and was too clueless to appreciate. And I've stopped listening to what other people are saying about my weight.

Hello Slimmer Trimmer,
I was really moved by what you have written. Being put down by family etc is no way to be treated - particularly as you were slim - and it seems other people had their problems which they dealt with by stripping away your self esteem. To actually recognise that is a huge triumph for you as you can now see what happened, can put it to rest and do things for you and nobody else. I wish you luck with your weight loss journey and remember there are always people on here in the same boat if you need a boost. Catwoman.x.:)
P.S. BTW, where are you ? I am in Surrey also, bit older than you (36) but about the same weight etc.

looking back at it, personally I think I got fat as a cry for help. Just so someone would notice something. Didn't work though, just made me feel worse than I already did.

Hi Catwoman. I'm in Woking. My family really are nice people, they just have a really messed up response to my appearance. I'm the youngest. Thankfully now I'm past the things they say about my appearance, and I'm changing it for me, not for them. I have a very supportive hubby who's lipotrimming with me at the moment.

Hehehehe I wouldn't mind but every member of my family is overweight now!!! They'd all be in the BMI range of 25-29. Because lipotrim can give such dramatic results, I'm keeping away from them and not telling them about this. I'll next see them at the end of February - let's see what they say then!

Thanks Big-Pudding for opening this thread. I have found it fascinating to read everyone's posts on this subject. Not only that, it has enabled us all to think about our overeating beginnings, and do a bit of self-analysis.

SlimmerTrimmer - everyone's parents make mistakes with their children. I have vowed not to make the same mistakes with my kids - I will just make new ones!

Back