What made you choose this diet?

Nina41

I Am curious to know people's ideas!

I've had success with low carb diets in the past - I like the fact that high protein is filling and satisfying - with Dukan in particular I like the addition of skimmed milk and fat free diary - such as yoghurt and fromage frais.
All in all although I am only 4 weeks in I feel that I can carry on in cruise for as long as necessary.
Then I like the fact that there is a long period of the next phase to guide and help with the reintroduction of carbs from a more varied source.

My mentor as a student nurse on a ward was doing it and she was getting amazing results from it, os i thought i would give it a go, and still getting amazing results from this too!!!

A member of another board started the diet and had a counter on her signature.. I started following her weight loss daily:) But I was convinced low carb is not for me since I don't eat red meat and not a fan of chicken.. I almost had a vegeterian diet for the past 2 years with occasional chicken in the salad.. but by vegeterian I don't mean vegetables, mostly pasta, pizza and cheese sandwiches:p
I started a research and decided to give it a go.. My boyfriend just told me he believed I was going to give up a few days later, so did I!
:)

A friends husband started the diet last Year and I thought there was no way I'd be able to follow a diet like that . Stayed with them this Easter and saw what ye was eating and still wasn't convinced even though the fish stew he made us was amazing. Their sons christening was in September there and I was asked to be godmother a few weeks beforehand my weight just wasn't shifting like it used to so she spoke to me about dukan as her hubby had lost 5 1/2 stone and she had lost all the baby weight on it, I decided to give it a bash and was surprised how easy it actually was and here I am 31 lb lighter and still dropping :D

Did the Cambridge Diet which I found really hard but lost loads of weight which I promptly put on. Felt I couldn't do it again but wanted a high protein diet. Love the fact I am rarely hungry on this diet and can eat if I need to. Feels healthy too and like the fact that there is a beginning middle and end to the diet which should then stop my perpetual yo yo dieting!

I have just started this so i am yet to see. My main reason for starting is whilst having much fun and frolics on a girls weekend in the cotswolds (lots of wine and cheesecake) a couple of friends had explained how they had lost over two stone easily and were bouncing off the walls about how good it was! Since returning and from seeing myself in some photos (to my horror) i have decided to try it out along with a few other girls who went.
Well here goes!...........

I'd seen myself in some photos from my sister's wedding in June and wasn't happy at all. People did the usual thing at the wedding, 'You're so pretty if you'd only lose a stone' etc and I felt awful seeing photos I should have been happy looking at. My brother's wedding was coming up and I chose Dukan kind of as an experiment, I didn't really expect to lose at all but I knew I loved the foods that were allowed and I'd tried ketogenic diets before and liked the buzz of ketosis!
So I'm 4lbs from goal now and at my brother's wedding a couple of weeks ago I wasn't self-conscious, I didn't mind getting my photo taken...and my OH kept telling me how proud he was that I was on his arm! Bless ;)
Still 4lbs to go...but I WILL get there!

I have PCOS so am very sensitive to carbs. I've struggled with losing weight and although I tried a low GI diet, I'm not sure my heart was 100% in it and gave myself leeway to cheat so didn't lose weight. And in fact, each time I cheated I gained back any loss in the blink of an eye.

What appealed about the Dukan is that within the confines of the diet, there's no counting, weighing or worrying. I like that I know where I am, and that flexibility within inflexibility works for me. I can't cheat by not weighing, counting or turning a blind eye. The advantage for me is not being hungry and the fact that no carbs are involved (whatever their GI) means that I'm losing weight for the first time in years and that's spurring me to keep going.

We've got a fabby new GP at the practice where I work - I told him I was doing the DD and he praised it saying what a great diet it is, especially for people who are insulin resistant... now if that's not incentive enough to keep going, I don't know what is!! :D

I was researching ways to eat more healthily and figured Dukan was the way to go as I think oats are terrific! Not only are we losing weight we are also enjoying plenty of vegetables, eating things good for our hearts and we both feel so much better for it. Oatbran rocks!

I am reading the book just now, but having been an Atkins girl for years, am trying not to keep hearing the rules in my head LOL

Getting married next year and the dress is erm, lets say a little on the small side. :8855:

Did plan on doing Atkins again but heard so many good results from Dukan have resolved to give it a go.:)

Anybody else been on both diets?

Would love some words of wisdom.:eek:

I'd lost a fair bit on Cambridge four years ago but it was hard work and very anti-social and I put most back on when I started eating real food.

I couldn't face packet-opening again and have always been a carnivore so Dukan sounded too good to be true. Now I'm only five pounds from my Cambridge low and comfortable to keep at Dukan for as long as it takes to finish the four steps. :)

I read an article in Marie-Claire, in my consultant's waiting room, just as I had hit my highest ever weight after sticking to ww propoints religiously for 3 week.

I'd done lots of research into carbohydrate sensitivity before - but never come across a combination of low carb+low fat+maintenance regime that seemed plausible and sustainable.

I also fell in love with the "real food" aspect of it - one of the things I hated about ww pointing was the emphasis on pointing ready meals products and fast food rather than real food. No points for a pomegranate or an artichoke, but lots of entries for "Tesco fruit snack pots" etc ....

And dukan sounded as if he considered his dieters to be adults, capable of reasonable choices, rather talking down them for living some puritanical ideal of quinoa eating and press-ups.

Maybe it just took a frenchman to write a diet for adults who actually like food and cooking!

Put on loads of weight in the last year.. being all in love and comfortable in my relationship, then I too weighed myself and found I was at my highest weight ever and needed to do something..

My boyfriend's Mum had started Dukan and then it kept cropping up in all the magazines I read so I thought it was worth a try.. it seemed to be working for BF's Mum and I liked to idea of unlimited protein & not being so hungry :)

and glad I am on it!

I have been eating very healthly for the past 7 years so when I decided (over 2 years ago) to loose a stone i realised there wasn't anything in my eating habits to change. There was nothing I could cut (i already didnt have sweets, alcohol, fatty food etc). I tried ww but it didnt work at all. The final straw was this easter. After 12 weeks of accuratly counting propoints, I lost only 2pounds. I then went to slimming world and my weight stayed the same for 3 months.

I started dukan because it was different. I am still loosing slowly but with the help of lovely people I met here, my weight is coming down!!! DOWN!!!! Of course i would love to be loosing loads and quickly like everyone else here but at least I am finally LOOSING!!! That's all that matters now!!!

I tried weight watchers and saw very little come off and I hated relying on the ready meals for points counting... and I didn't feel like I had control because it's quite easy to cheat on WW or have naughty things..

I feel like I'm developing more of a healthy lifestyle on Dukan!

OH! and I like that it eases you off the diet as well so you're not going straight back into normal eating where you put it all back on!

Last edited:
I did Slimming World fairly successfully a few years ago but fell off the wagon when I finished university and moved to London.

I read about Dukan in newspapers and magazines and decided to buy the book and find out a little more. I was surprised by how it all made sense - I really understood the method to what outsiders think is madness. I promised myself I'd give it a month and see what happened - by week 2 I was convinced this was the plan for me.

I love the fact that there's a plan to keep the weight off too. I see this as a way of life now.

I first knew about the 'French Diet' two summer's ago from my daughter's ex boyfriend's mum but because of the language barrier I never found out exactly what it was. This lovely lady had lost 3 stone in 5 months. I tried to research it but came up with nothing. Then Prince William got married. So thought I would give it a go for a few weeks ............ still going strong after 11 weeks and 2 stone lighter!

I was a complete diet newbie with a **reasonably** healthy diet, but I knew in my heart that I needed to lose some weight - now or never - when I stumbled a reference to the diet (probably the Daily Mail online :D). Googled for reviews and found a few first-hand accounts and blogs that made good reading. Ordered the book, found Minimins and started reading on here and TOOK the PLUNGE, I felt like I had nothing to lose. I liked / still like the fact that there is no weighing and counting (or hardly any in Coso). 'Just' a list of yes and no foods (ok ok I know it's not *quite* that simple, but it can be if you avoid all tolerateds).

I think we have discussed this before but it's always good to remind ourselves.

Back