What made you finally commit to losing weight?

A friend of mine is having a fancy dress party in June. I so want to be able to hire a costume and look good in it. Also I want to not be a fat blob on my holiday in August.

My main weight gain from last year, I was about 12 stone, and then bought a house in July, for 6 weeks we had take always most nights, ( web I should of been loosing weight gutting out my house!) we moved in and on August 16th we went to las Vegas, (had already been booked) so you can imagine the mass of food and booze I consumed, anyhow Xmas came etc and by jan 2012 I was a huge 14 stone 7lbs very unhappy and no clothes fitted me, one pair of jeans and I'm still living in sweat pants throughout the day. I started SW at the start of march after failed attempts, lost 2lbs, then cc'd and I'm now 14.2, so it's going down. I really want to stick to it, I want to get married in the next few years and look good in a dress and a bikini! I want to become a mum someday soon, and I deffo don't want the extra added fat! By august I want to of dropped to Atleast 11 stone, ultimate goal is 10 stone :) Frankie
X

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I'm ressurecting this thread as it's a really good one!

My reason for losing weight is it's 2012 and this is the year I promised myself to really create joy and happiness in my life. It's half way through now so I'm on a big push to be ready for summer (I'm in the southern hemisphere so summer starts in December). I'm looking forward to it being the first summer in ages that I look really amazing and that I can wear skirts and dresses without my thighs rubbing together and causing that horrible friction rash! Also I want to go to the beach lots this summer and wear a sexy swimsuit...don't know how I'd feel about a bikini, but certainly something revealing and something I feel really really great in. 2012 is the year, people!

:553:

In the past two years, my Mum had a heart attack, I got diagnosed with PCOS and my Dad got diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. I do not want these things to happen to me. Aside from the looking and feeling better, I want to live as long as healthy a life as possible.

I have never been hugely overweight... I wouldn't say I have ever jumped at the thought of wearing a bikini in the summer but at the same time it didn't ever fill me with utter dread. Last summer was the first time I really didn't feel comfortable in my skin I think because I had worked 3 years since graduation at high stress long hours job at a bank in the city where you were at your desk from 7.30 to at least 8pm most days and often post work drinks and heavy client lunches several times a week I had put on perhaps a stone or so that didn't suit me and just felt lethargic, stressed and run down constantly! In January this year I moved to a smaller firm with a far nicer work ethic and can now actually fit exercise into my life and make more sensible decisions with regard to food. It was such a huge change to my life and mental health I thought I would tackle my body too and I downloaded MFP in April this year and began formally CC from May. My focus is mainly to feel healthy and happy.

Hi all
I hated looking at me ... I only had a stone to a stone and half to lose ... I'm only 5 foot so a stone is a lot ..
But I hated me ... My children are so pretty and I seemed to ruin pics ... Everyone else in pics look better than me ..!!
My dad is diabetic and I definitely don't want to be ..!!!
I want to look at me and think I'm not a bad old stick for 42 .... Only have 5lbs to lose now but with a thyroid problem its soooooo hard x

Clothes and underwear not fitting good. And being in the gps and him having to get the big cuff out to take my blood pressure soooooo embarrassing

I had a wedding coming up this year and I was doing Groomsman so the groom was starting slimming world and suggested I went, I was always struggling being very over weight and could rarely wear jeans without them being uncomfortable, and never liked the gym so it was ideal for me, 3 stone later and still going strong, prob one of the best decisions I have ever taken in my life, I feel infinitely better about myself

the main reason is my daughter sophie. I took her to the soft play and felt so guilty that i couldnt take her down the slide as i was too big. I felt so horrible saying no when thats what she wanted to do. I dont want to be a mum who cant play with her, i want to enjoy doing things with her, i want to not feel like im dying everytime i go down to the park (the hill back up is really steep)

the other reason is that im getting married in may 2014 and even though i wont be thin, i really dont want to be the weight i am now for it. I want to look at the photos and not cringe. i want to feel beautiful on my day, and i want mick to say wow lol

Plus ive been quite lucky in the fact that yes i was 25 stone but didnt have any health problems. I think if i kept going the way i was someday something will go and i'd be stuck. im 30 next year and i really dont want loads of problems when im still young

When I got pregnant the second time, still had baby weight from first baby to lose, I didn't want to end up big again so I was careful and only managed to put on a stone which was gone by 10 days after he was born, now he's 7 weeks old and I've lost 27lbs in total with another 21 to go!
My oldest starts nursery in September and I don't want to feel self conscious like I'm the fat mum, I don't want to feel unfit when I'm playing with them either! I want to feel good about myself,
Also me and DH are the first to get married and have kids so when we see his mates I always feel like the massive one when all the girls they're with are tiny!

I've been overweight for as long as I can remember, with various short-term attempts of losing weight. I went to 150kg (24st) over the course of 15 years, which never made me realise how bad it actually was.

After losing 26kg (4st) during my time at university and putting it back on in the two years that followed, my final wakeup call was a colleague's wedding. I needed a suit, I could chose from two in the entire store that would fit. Traveling to the wedding and barely being able to fit into the plane seat was even worse. The biggest moment though was the public embarrassment of not being able to fit into a seat outside a café - it wasn't that I got stuck in the chair or something that you are usually worried about when you're overweight and very conscious of it, no, I couldn't fit in in the first place and it wasn't even close!
That all brought the little things to my attention that I had discarded all too easily in the past. Occasional pain/numbness in the knees, having trouble tying shoe laces, feeling like all eyes are on you at all times because you're the tallest and biggest person in the room.

That was almost four years ago, and I'm happy to say that while I'm still not done, I've managed to lose a fair bit of weight and to keep it off. There have been setbacks, there has been the occasional stone that I ate back on, but overall I'm going in the right direction, and this time I'm not going to give up.

Several reasons for me.....

1. I always put weight on round my face and get a HUGE double chin
2. I got fed up of clothes shopping - and I LOVE shopping. Started ordering all of my clothes online instead so I didn't have to look at myself in the mirror
3. I am bridesmaid in December for my friend who is a SIZE FOUR!!!! And the rest of the bridesmaids are all a size 6-8. I am NOT being the 'fat' one in the pics
4. I hated being intimate with my bf as all that kept going through my mind was 'can he see this roll of fat on my tummy? Is he looking at my double chin? My legs look huge - this is NOT flattering'
5. I suffered with depression last year and started having those warning signals again. I am NOT going back there.

I am 28 and should NOT be thinking any of these things. I have always had issues with my serlf confidence and I just got fed up with being on a downer with myself all the time. My bf helped me get myself kickstarted as he know I was upset although he always insists that he thinks I look lovely all the time and can't see what I see when I look in the mirror.

Well half the contents of my wardrobe didn't fit, I was living in leggings and felt rubbish in everything I wore.
I think my pyjama bottoms getting too tight was a really big wake up call :D

I have many reasons, but my main 2 that made me pull my finger out and start getting rid of the weight was
1. Went to portugal in october and i hated every minute of it because of the way i looked, also was a shock to the system the sealbelt on the plane only just fit :O
2. Im getting married in portugal next year and i need to much slimmer, 2 reasons, i want to look gorgeous on my big day and feel confident, second reason, i went out and bought a size 12 dress when i was a size 22 to make sure i lose the weight and mantain!!!!

None of my clothes fitted anymore and I was a size 16 for the first time ever. I'd got down from 12st9 to 10st9 in 2009 and then kind've lost my way before getting to my goal, I thought i'd put all of that weight back on but when I eventually got around to weighing myself it turned out I was 13st10 :eek:

We're hoping to get married in the next couple of years so I want to be slim for trying dresses on when the time comes. Also im just sick of feeling bigger than everyone else and constantly sucking my stomach in.
I've lost 13lbs so far, but did go off track for about a month due to holidays and work stuff. I'm back on it now though and hoping to lose at least 2 stone and hopefully be a size 10 for the first time ever! :)

well i left my partner and the prospect of being a single mum with two very active boys aged 5 and 8 yrs was daunting especially seen as walking to the park left me feeling out of breath and then i would sit down smoke a fag and watch them play. i decided i wanted to be the kind of mum who gets in there and plays with them, not just a sideline mum if you know what i mean, so i quit smoking and began my diet. Also i wanted to be a different woman form the one who was with the ex, so therefore the motivation that i needed. This will be the last time i diet!!! xxx

oh and another thing what a great thread!!! just read from beginning to end .... loved it!

Back