What moment made you join Slimming World?

I've always been "big" - all my adult (and most my childhood too) life. I'd probably known for a fair few years that the point had come to do something about it, but kept putting it off. Then in 2007 one of my brother's announced he was getting married in August 2008. I said "next month" and then "next month", and then it got to about May 2008 - and it turned from "next month" to "no point now, not going to make a difference".

How wrong i was. The photos came out in September 2008 and I broke down and cried. With the other brother getting married in August 2009, I knew then i couldn't put it off. When that brother then called to ask me to be an usher at his wedding - there was no gonig back.

I picked December 1st 2008 as "D Day" - "Diet Day". I spent the time leading up to that getting ready - stocking up on good stuff, clearing out the crap (well eating it - i've brought it - i'm not going to throw it away - i hate wasting money like that).

December 1st came around and I stood on those scales - and swore - I came in about 4 or 5 stone heavier then i thought at over 27.5stone.

I lost 8 stone of that by the time of my brother's wedding - and the photos were so much better - so much so that even my own mother didn't recognise me for a few moments in the church. And I've not stopped there - another 5.5 stones have gone since then and I'm weighing in at less now then I probably did when i was 16 with another half stone to go.

What can i say - I love food optimising :)

Wow Ian - You've done fantastically!
Photos are pure eveil but seems like they have been the kick a lot of people on here needed to get going on their weight loss journeys!

Yep - photographs for me too!

More the fact that I hated having them taken as they showed how fat I was/was getting, & it would mean I wasn't going to have many pics of me & my babies.

New Years was the final straw - after crying for ages as I really wanted a nice dress to wear, couldn't find one that looked nice, ended up with an it will do outfit - absolutly hated it - I sware I looked like a michelin figure!!! :(

The photo's really were & are horrendous. So Jan 4th I joined SW :D

I added a couple of pics in the before/after section last night, I am now very happy to be having lots of pics taken with me girls! :D

Cocktail princess - I sat there with the ugly wellies that didnt fit crying too x
I remember my husband coming in from work and being horrified at the mess I was in- I just kept saying how sorry I was to have let myself go so much. It really upset him as he had always truly loved me- he still says now that he has never seen me look so distraught BUT that he knew for a fact that when I said I was going to lose it, I really really was, because he has never seen me look so determined

I guess, like they say with alcoholism, it takes someone to hit rock bottom before they can realise they HAVE to change- and you in your wellies and me on those scales was us at our lowest ever- we can only go up from there, doll!
x

I couldnt help laughing ( while starting to have a sly sob ) at the thought of my rock bottom being over a pair of wellies. It seems almost silly now but at the time it was completly devastating.
If I can do half as well as you have then i will be more than happy :)

As a WW to SW convertee I knew I had to loose weight but it was my housemate started SW that made me go. She has a lot more to loose and the thought of doing it together with someone was much more of a spur on.
A few other factors included having high BP (at 26....), being a bridesmaid at my brothers wedding next June, and having a boyfriend who is spurring me on.

I love this 'diet' and shout about it to all that will listen!

Mine was a photo moment as well.

I've always carried a little bit of weight, I went to university and managed to get away with only putting on about half a stone in the 3 years. Then I got an office job, sat on my butt all day, living with my boyfriend.

I started to pile it on. I started by getting to 10.5st, then 11st, then 11.5st. Once I got up to near 12st I was a size 14(ish) and decided enough was enough.

We still haven't sorted our wedding photos out because I think I look atrocious in them (back cleavage, yuck!). I was so disappointed with myself that I didn't have the willpower to lose the weight for my wedding day.

That was May 2008 (I was about 11st 3lbs). Then my weight started to creep up again to nearly 12st. I decided enough was enough and joined SW.

My hubby told me I knew what I had to do, so why did I have to pay money to go to a club? I told him that if I knew what to do, I'd be 9st and a size 10 lol.

So I joined in January and now, 15 weeks later I'm 12.5lbs lighter and a size 10/12. Hoping I can get my stone award next week (Bank Holiday ruined my weekend lol) and then it's onwards and downwards to target of 9st!

well my journey started 5 years ago roughly...I was fed up of never being able to buy anything nice to wear so living in leggins, which I would never ever even consider buying now! So off I went to buy some scales.....I was horrified 19 stone 12lbs...I was to embarressed to join a slimming club so just stuck to 1000 calories a day and gradually the weight started to fall off....3 years ago I was down to 13 stone and found out that my husband was having an affair, with a woman the size I used to be, turned out he liked bigger women! So a traumatic 3 years followed trying to sort everything out my weight at xmas was 14 stone again... So my new years resolution was to lose that last bit. I did it alone again until March but then decided to join SW I was 12.5 stone when I joined, weighed in at 11 stone 4 last night was chuffed to bits as the end is now in sight. I dont have any pictures of me at my biggest as I was to embarrassed....but neither do I have any of me now as I still see that "Big" person in the mirror.

Those flipping pictures!:(

Well for me I had some pics taken on new yrs eve, I felt that I looked quite nice, nice hair, make-up, a top I thought I looked good in! and when they were put on facebook, me standing next to my friends from school (we'r still very close) I realised how big I looked compared to them,:cry:, when I used to weigh the same if not less! I just didn't look like me or how I feel on the inside. I'm only 25 and I used to love shopping and going out with friends and with my husband.:(
At the time of the pics being taken I didn't know I was about 10 days pregnant.:D
But in the last couple of weeks I new I was building up to do slimming world, I want a real big baby bump....not is she isn't she pregnant or just fat!!!:rolleyes:
Also I have realised it's me taking the photo's of my husband and daughter, never being in them because i just don't want to see how fat i am. so i'm determined to lose this weight, keep it to a min gain for the next 20 weeks, and have some lovely professional family pics taken after this baby is born!:D

Excellent Mummytummy - my hubby and i were looking at some old film from our camcorder of when our kids were younger, im not actually on any of it ( unless im darting past someone to avoid the camera)
Im determined to do this and be on some films and pictures before our kids fun, carefree days are gone!

I did cambridge last years lost 3 stone 3 from july to oct and i heaped it all on again i have a blood clotting problem which means cd was becoming a no no ,i tried sw 4 years ago i was 3 stone lighter then i want to lose 7 stone can i do it ? i hope so i hate being fat being out of breath no being able to go into the swiming pool people looking and thinking fat cow :(

That's just like me moomintroljen! I bl00dy hate those camcorders, be nice to be on them rather than just hearing my voice!:D

And yes justmummy, you most defiantly can do it!!!:D:D:D

I have always been on the bigger side and have slowly got bigger and bigger.

I have been to WW on and off for about 6 years, losing 2 stone and then putting in back on. The last time I went (this time last year) my mother joined with me and totally overpowered me. She done really well and I am so please for her as I was worried about her health, but she just took over the whole group!! I was so good on WW, weighed everything, counted everything and stuck to it, but it just wasn't coming off. I would have weeks when I had been an angel and putting on a 1lb. I just had enough in the end.

My brother got married in March at a castle on the south coast and I knew in my mind what I wanted to wear. I found a beautiful cobalt blue silk dress from Monsoon which was just what I wanted. I ordered it in a 20 so I wasn't worried about it fitting!!!!! :8855:

I had to wear 2 sets of control underwear which was SOOOO uncomfortable and I felt like sh** all day.:cry::cry::cry: I can't even bring myself to look at the photo's again as I look so big!!! When we came back I had another 2 weeks of comfort eating and then knew I had to do something. I couldn't face going back to WW as I knew it wouldn't work and looked into SW as I knew the leader and it sounded good.

The dress now fits lovely and kick myself for not joining SW before the wedding, but hey-ho!!

In only 3 weeks I have lost 9.5lb and feel so different and can't wait to see the stones dropping off :D

God, don't I go on!!!!! lol

How inspiring you all are (and I'm humbled by your honesty :gen126:)

For me, it was a simple case of getting on the scales. I had to do it so many times - I just couldn't believe the incredible number before me. (I cried my eyes out too, all crumpled on the bathroom floor too!)

So that was it. And here I am :character00148:

xx

Awww cupcake!
Im really glad I started this thread - So many sad stories but now here we all are doing something positive about it!
Yay us

Back