What no Asda wholemeal pittas?!?!

funcurls

Never gets tired of SW!
After having worked a treacherous and long night shift (well 3 in a row in fact) this morning I decided to get my weekly shop out of the way!! Normally I would do this in Tesco which is practically on my route home, however I decided to take a 10 minute detour and go to Asda, PURELY so that I could stock up on the wholemeal pitta breads, which most of you will be aware are the only pittas that we can class as a HEXb!! I've been eating them a fair bit these past couple of weeks and have been enjoying them!! To my HORROR, there were none on the shelf! I asked the bakery man and he told me that they had been recalled from the shelves 2 weeks ago due to a quality control issue, and they hadn't had any more in since!!! Has this happened in anyone else's local Asda?!! X

There was a thread about it the other day... seems to be a general Asda thing :(

I have a friend who works on the bread section at Asda, She said there was a problem with all Pittas atm and they have been removed from sale but they will be back :) lets hope they come back along with the wholemeal one too. I did ask if she had heard that the wholemeal had been discontinued and she said not as far as she knew it was just a problem with the supplier atm. There was even a sign up today where they usually are explaining that they had temporarily been removed from sale

The bread man in our Asda said it was a quality control issue and that they'd actually been taken off the shelves/recalled a couple of weeks ago - maybe the edges were wonky or something!! I haven't fallen ill from the ones I bought so should be fine!!! Debjk great having contacts!! You can be our pitta mole!! Find out all the unleavened gossip!!X

Someone on Facebook emailed Asda and was told they were discontinued due to costs and low sales.

Hmmmph!! Annoying!! I wonder if SW will reveal an alternative that we can enjoy as a HEXb!!X

a girl in my group this evening said the morrisons ones had exactly the same calorie values, so she swapped to those, after verifying with the consultant. might be worth looking into if asda have stopped them.

a girl in my group this evening said the morrisons ones had exactly the same calorie values, so she swapped to those, after verifying with the consultant. might be worth looking into if asda have stopped them.

Could be good, but do they contain the same amount of fibre, which would be the deciding factor for HEXb-ness!!!X

not sure, but if the consultant agreed they would probably work, they must have the same or very near. unfortunately, i'm not near a morrisons, just asda and tesco here.

in found out the reason!!!!!!

there was a piece of glass found in 1 packet and because of this they recalled all the batch and wont accept anymore from the supplier until their h&s has improved and proven to asda quality control!!!!

the girl i spoke to doesnt know when of if they will be back!

Wow thanks!! That's enlightening!!! So there's hope for us with a pitta penchant yet!!X

once the pitas come back in stores - will they have to be verified by SW again ? just thinking if they get a new supplier ?

can you tell im panicking here lol

Shame on that consultant! HEs are based on more than calories and you can't just swap one for another just because they have the same calories. Even the Tesco ones are not HEs and they have virtually identical nutritional values - including fibre - to the asda ones. But they are not HEs because they are much more processed than the asda ones and have a stack of additives in them.

Back