what shall i do now?

HI,I went to my gp yesterday to get signed of for LL but instead of being supportive she said she didn't approve of vlcds and wouldn't sign even if i paid.she then offered me xenical which i didn't take as i didn't know what to do:mad: any advice would be great.im so disappointed as i had my heart set on it:tear_drop:
snooky cat xxx

Sorry your doc not supportive. How much do you have to lose?

More importantly what is your BMI? You only need a doctors cert. to do Cambridge over a certain BMI. Or if you have certain medical conditions or taking medication.

Someone will confirm the details shortly I'm sure. But I didn't need to see the doctor when I started.

Hope you get to do a VLCD if you have researched it and feel it is right for you.

Dizzy x

hi snooky, i did xenical last year, its ok but if you eat too much fat you get the runs, it does work, but i kept cheeting, its not as good as this.I think you can get your form signed private if you still want to do ll.

You could go somewhere else to get the medical form filled in. I went to a Medicentre and paid £45 for check (because it takes a while to get an appointment at my GP.) I'm not suggesting that you do this diet against medical advice but I don't think you should be penalised because you have a small minded GP. Did your LLC give you the booklet for medical practitioners? If so perhaps she could do with reading it in order to understand the programme and its benefits.

Good luck,
Johnny

I think I would call your LLC and tell her the situation. She has probably had the same happen before and would be the best to advise you. I know that some people have had to go privately and your LLC may have the name of a practice where you can get your form signed!

Don't give up on the idea yet though until you've spoken to your LLC. The programme is the best thing I have ever done x.

thank you

:) Thank you,i will go and talk to my LLc.My bmi is 39.2 so i thought my gp would be keen to help.Yes i took the medical info book with me but she wouldn't even look:mad: Thanks for giving me renewed hope,i was feeling miserable.Ill let you all know how it goes.
Snooky cat xxxxx

Snooky cat, I am so sorry that your GP was so unsupportive. I am totally amazed that she was prepared to just dish out drugs, whereas LL (or CD for that matter) will help re-educate you in the choices you make re food etc.

Please dont give up, as has been said before this diet is fantastic! Yes, its hard at times (well for me anyway) but the results are so worth it.

I know my concerns are about when the food restarts, but I know that the support will be there too, and not a drug in sight!!!

Hang in there Snooky and keep posting too!

My GP is so amazed at the effect and speed of the diet he keeps shaking his head and saying 'We just don't get results like this with the drugs'.

You are entitled to a second opinion. Your LLC should have an alternative private recommendation if you need it. If it were me these days I'd march straight back there and ask her how much CBT and a nutritionist would cost the NHS over 6 months. (Answer - thousands) also ask her what empirical evidence she has to make her not approve of VLCDs when they are used in NHS hospitals for severe obesity. But I remember how shaky I was about it all when I first started - it's all very well me being all bolshy now I'm 6 stone lighter - but I wasn't like that when I started!

Various reasons for this possibly...GP's get extra financial bonus from the government when you loose weight on zenical or reductil but not with LL!! You can get a private medical but unsure how or where you get this - your LLC may know a local dr that does them. I certainly would be thinking about changing GP if she wasnt even prepared to listen! By the way I have tried bth zenical & reductil and didnt loose with either! So far lost 31 ibs with LL and even the unsupportive nurse had to admit that the losses were great while not being able to resist "well its when you keep it off thats important"...!!! Some people just dont get it do they eh!! Big hugs & dont give up!

Oh this is so familiar to me.

My GP would not sign the form either. My LLC gave me a telephone number of a sympathetic GP and I went there. I had to take a morning off work and it cost £30. After the initial visit I went to see my practice nurse for the subsequent visits who was happy to sign the form for me.

Some people go to their local chemist (Lloyds I think) who usually do it for free. Hopefully someone will post about that.

Now of course things are different for me. I saw my GP recently and she was very impressed at the new me. A loss of over 100 lbs means I look completely different. I hope that if another patient comes to her wanting to do LL she will remember me and say 'ok'.

The advice from Westigirl is sound. Your LLC will be familiar with GPs who are unsympathetic and may be able to recommend a GP for you to visit.

I too tried Xenacol some years ago but it caused a severe reaction to my skin. Anyway, these drugs don't do anything to change your mind. I knew that my problems with food were all in my head. The CBT and TA which LL include with the programme were crucial to my success. I can get continued support and advice now even though I am at goal, that is reassuring to me and will help me to keep the weight off.

Good luck Snooky!

Oh this is so familiar to me.

My GP would not sign the form either. My LLC gave me a telephone number of a sympathetic GP and I went there. I had to take a morning off work and it cost £30. After the initial visit I went to see my practice nurse for the subsequent visits who was happy to sign the form for me.

Some people go to their local chemist (Lloyds I think) who usually do it for free. Hopefully someone will post about that.

Yes, I went to my local Lloyds chemist for my BP check - she was really lovely and supportive and even said she would sign my book (most don't, I think it is Lloyds policy not to support LL).

Hope you manage to get started soon! :)

Yes, I went to my local Lloyds chemist for my BP check - she was really lovely and supportive and even said she would sign my book (most don't, I think it is Lloyds policy not to support LL).

My local Lloyds are fabulous, always asking how I am and how much I have lost. They have queried signing my book however, so I am not sure about that one!

Back