What to do about wanting to eat when stressed/upset etc

That's such a shame that all the PECS stuff got lost in the fire. You can always start off just by using photos of things that your son wants which is what they do here and I do with my son. I have some photos of food items on my kitchen door and if my son wants a banana he will pick that picture and bring it to us. PECS can be done without any of their expensive resources.

It's such a shame about Makaton. I've done lots of training in Makaton and I'm now a licensed Makaton Local Tutor. I'm delivering my first course to next week and I'm trying not to panick. I recommend you watch Something Special on CeeBeebies as that is Makaton that is being taught and it is a lovely programme for the children. You can buy a variety of resources from the Makaton web site The Makaton Charity - Home page. The beginners course consists of four half day modules. It is normally done as two separate courses, part 1 and part 2. After that there is two days of follow up training. However, the first day of training will teach you a lot of signs and you can learn many others from all the resources. The speech and language therapists should be able to help you with how to teach your son. I know that many of my friends' autistic children are very good at copying so pick up signs fairly quickly. They keep coming home from school with new signs that their parents don't know.

The problem you have is the school would also have to do Makaton so that they could communicate with your son.

The secondary school just takes all children on from day one and take on extra staff to cope with the extra challenging behaviour from the children. There has been quite a good transition process and the children have already spent some time at the new school. However, as you will know, when an autistic child is expecting to go to school first thing in the morning their whole world will be turned upside down when they go somewhere different.

Hi,

Just jumping in the middle of this conversation, hope you don't mind!

I bought the Makaton home training pack to teach myself and it's pretty straight forward, but on the expensive side. Round here the speech therapists run training courses fairly regularly, I've done the first 2 stages waiting for a course to do the next stages.

My son is 3.5 and has severe learning difficulties and speech delay, we've been doing Makaton with him for almost 2 years, when we adopted him, and he's picked up about 5 signs. We started PECs a couple of months ago and it took a while for him to get the idea but he's now got it, especially when it comes to food! He started at a special school a few weeks ago and he has a PECs book there too which he uses at snack time.

About the cravings, I always have a tin of fun size chocolates, which are about 4 syns each, that I can have when a chocolate emergency strikes. I also save a hexa to have some proper hot choc in the evening (green and blacks 0.5 syns per teaspoon and I have 3 teaspoons in a mug of milk).

Just to point out - until the previous person posted, the last entry was made on 1st September 2009!!! Don't be surprised if none of them get back to you!! You are not being ignored!!

Back