What to expect from the meetings please?

Why not write your consultant a letter - you don't need to get her time then - you can slip it to her and leave her to read it at her leisure. The other good thing about a letter is that you can say what you want in a constructive manner and make sure you make all the points you want to. Make sure you mark it private and confidential tho!

Hi everyone and thanks for all the advice. I think I am about 90% certain I will leave that group even if it means I have to 'go it alone'. If I do this, do I need to give any notice at my current group please or do I just not go?
Thanks everyone x

You don't have to say you are leaving, but I always think it is polite to do so. It saves the consultant having to waste time chasing you.

However, in your case I would think it would be a good idea to write and say you are leaving and say why. If you are leaving anyway, it can't do you any harm, and it might help others.

Well, I made up my mind not to go back - I was really dreading it and thats not right is it? - So, I am looking for another meeting but it looks like I may have to do a 40 mile round trip for one! I called Slimming World this morning and explained my predicament as I ddidnt want to be paying for meeting whilst I couldnt actauuly get to one and they are putting my membership on hold for a couple of weeks whilst I get sorted/go on holiday etc.
And they are getting a local manager to call me as well, so hopefully, I shall get sorted sooner rather than later.
xx

Oh poor you, a 40 minute round trip would take an awful lot of commitment, i'm so fortunate that there are so many groups to choose from in my area.

Its good that SW are listening to you though, perhaps they might get an area manager in to sit in on your groups and see just how bad your C is, and get her some additional training. Its probably going to be fairly obvious why though, so I guess you may have burned your bridges a little there.

Do you think there is sufficient demand in your locality for a new group to get set up? Maybe if you hit your club 10 you could start one up as a consultant yourself!

Hope you get some results one way or another.

I joined SW and attended a few of the meetings but my experience of them was exactly the same as yours. Although I needed to lose weight I didn't appreciate losing the money for no good purpose. My life might not be that exciting but even I thought wasting a couple of hours clapping and listening to the cliches of regulars and being chargeda fiver was a bit rich.

After attending for a while and realising that it hadn't been a bad few weeks at the meetings but it was the same old rubbish every week I just started to attend to get weighed which was crazy bearing in mind the cost. I noticed that quite a few others only got weighed and stopped staying to the meetings are the first few weeks. i think it's a shame as I think SW do have something to offer but they need to look at how they do things and make some changes. I can't see that it would appeal very much to younger people who might like the support of a slimming world.

Anyway my point is that I went on my own and have managed to lose 2 stone and saved a fortune. I guess its "horses for courses" but I was very disappointed by SW and unfortunately as a result of my experiences would certainly not recommend them to anyone.

Hope you manage to find success whatever route you end up taking. x

Hi Mandy,
Yes, I think my bridges are well and truly burned to be honest. I just got a call from the area manager and she was absolutely lovely and couldnt have been more helpful. She totally agreed that what was happening at the meetings wasnt what was supposed to be happening at the meetings and has given me passwords so I can stay online whilst I sort a new group. I have given becoming a C a bit of thought but It would be a long way down the line I think, but nothing is impossible.
The lady I just spoke to says she wont say who she has spoken to but I cant see it will take much working out so I suppose I should expect a phone call anytime soon.
So, I feel that SW have, as a group, been brilliant as they genuinely seemed to care that I wasnt happy and I am very grateful for that, but a bit bummed out that I am still groupless.
xx

Sorry to read that you will need to make a 40 mile round trip to get to another class:( Are the timings of it impossible to combine it with something else- grocery shopping etc. Mind you, I bet you've already thought of that.

Good that SW appear to have taken all your concerns seriously and are doing something for you by giving you passwords etc.

Hi Mandy,
Yes, I think my bridges are well and truly burned to be honest. I just got a call from the area manager and she was absolutely lovely and couldnt have been more helpful. She totally agreed that what was happening at the meetings wasnt what was supposed to be happening at the meetings and has given me passwords so I can stay online whilst I sort a new group. I have given becoming a C a bit of thought but It would be a long way down the line I think, but nothing is impossible.
The lady I just spoke to says she wont say who she has spoken to but I cant see it will take much working out so I suppose I should expect a phone call anytime soon.
So, I feel that SW have, as a group, been brilliant as they genuinely seemed to care that I wasnt happy and I am very grateful for that, but a bit bummed out that I am still groupless.
xx

Did you ever say anything to the consultant? Or give her any idea that you weren't happy? If not, she probably won't know it was you.

After reading you messages, I am glad I have a fantastic consultant, nothing is to much trouble. She sends texts during the week, messages on facebook, explains the diet, gives good food advice , encourages cooking from scratch BUT didn't know what Mooli was LOL. I have only been a member for 3 weeks but feel part of the group (aprox 35 stay for class). Shame when slimming world has such a good product people like your consultant are the "face" of it.

Hi everyone - sorry for not acknowleding your post Woozle, I didnt see it until just now! - The lady I spoke to today really did seem genuinely concerned and couldnt have been nicer. Even gave me her number if I need her. She was so lovely, I am considering the possibility of becoming a consultant myself! I could even offer cookery demo's!
I dont know if the consultant will know its me or not tbh. I didnt say anything to her as when I tried to I couldn't get her to stop feeding her grandchild so gave up, but I guess if she does, she does.
The meeting thats so far away looks to be the bext option for me from the point of view of knowing I could attend each week so I think I would have to make a 'day of it' so's to speak and get the groceries etc on the same day.
I have the passwords for a few weeks though so I can (hopefully) stay on track. Or atleast not go too far off it!
xx

Given your description of the meetings, you won't be the only person who has left recently! But it doesn't matter anyway if you aren't going back.

It's a problem isn't it - speak up and risk the bother that may ensue or just leave and the meetings will be the same for all the other poor people that join. You would think that SW would keep an eye on the numbers of folk leaving quickly and turn up at meetings if the turnover of members looks high just to make sure that all is well.

WOO HO! SO excited! There was a meeting I really wanted to attend as the lady who runs it seems really good - I spoke to her on the phone a while back and she was great - but it clashed with my little mans swim lesson. Swim lessons have just been moved so I can now attend the meeting! I am SO happy to be getting back to SW because I have really lost the motivation lately and feel horrid. So, starting again on Thursday and REALLY looking forward to it. Already stocking the freezer with food to help me stay on plan, and working on recipes. YIPPEE!!!!

Oh I hope you have a better experience now. I really enjoy going to my group, and I'm sure it's made a difference to my motivation, commitment, and success. Good Luck.

Why do you feel invisible? Is it because you don't know anyone and haven't been going for long?
Take time to talk to people and you'll soon not feel invisible. ((hugs))

Back